• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Florence

NCSNOW

Can we stop with the Hugo redux commentary.  Florence isn't anything like Hugo in intensity history, past and future track, expected landfall, or expected speed following landfall.  Literally nothing about Florence is like Hugo except a big high to the north blocking passage.  As has been mentioned, Florence is more similar to other tracks and could be used as plausible analogs to her.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Hoping it does weaken fast once it comes inland. Looks like the NHC has it down to 70mph now instead of 100 mph like before once it comes inland.

yeah that was kinda odd at first glance with the difference in strength....but then look at the timing change and how slow it moves right at landfall.....also keep in mind there is gonna be a strong 1030 mb ridge off NE and a  950-970 mb tropical low in SE NC that should mean the N and E sides quite far from the center are gonna have winds a lot stronger than you would typically in a rotting system...and that will persist for hrs and hrs if the storm stalls.....

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Taylorsweather said:

Can we stop with the Hugo redux commentary.  Florence isn't anything like Hugo in intensity history, past and future track, expected landfall, or expected speed following landfall.  Literally nothing about Florence is like Hugo except a big high to the north blocking passage.  As has been mentioned, Florence is more similar to other tracks and could be used as plausible analogs to her.

This has the potential to do more than Hugo, and make a similar landfall. I don't care where the models say it's going to make landfall. There's still a big ass cone of uncertainty, and I wouldn't discount Charleston for a landfall until Wednesday.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

yeah that was kinda odd at first glance with the difference in strength....but then look at the timing change and how slow it moves right at landfall.....also keep in mind there is gonna be a strong 1030 mb ridge off NE and a  950-970 mb tropical low in SE NC that should mean the N and E sides quite far from the center are gonna have winds a lot stronger than you would typically in a rotting system...and that will persist for hrs and hrs if the storm stalls.....

The winds will also spread out. 

4 minutes ago, JoshM said:

This has the potential to do more than Hugo, and make a similar landfall. I don't care where the models say it's going to make landfall. There's still a big ass cone of uncertainty, and I wouldn't discount Charleston for a landfall until Wednesday.

Hugo Redux, Hugo Redux, Hugo redux! The amount of possible inland wind damage after this comes on shore, could be worse than Hugo! The flooding will be way worse than Hugo, because every model has it slowing down after it comes ashore. Hugo was 135 mph at landfall, Flo projected to be 140mph. I think the Hugo comparison is warranted, and we might be wishing it was “only” a Hugo, when all is said and done!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

This map isn't entirely accurate as the strongest wind gusts were measured at Figure Eight Island at 122 mph.  That's what was actually measured.  The above map only has 90 mph there. Wilmington ASOS gusted to 86 mph.  Winds obviously gusted much higher on the New Hanover county beaches, but less than 90 mph according to that map? Ridiculous!

I recorded during Fran , on Sheep Island at 130 +/- before We had to "hunker down", and our instrument "crapped out"  Cords.. 

You are forgetting Bald Head Island, Southport,, State Ports, and of course, Frying Pan Tower.. take those readings into consideration before posting, A lot more Station(s) are Accurately reporting recently.. With "Weather Stations"..  

42 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Hugo Redux, Hugo Redux, Hugo redux! The amount of possible inland wind damage after this comes on shore, could be worse than Hugo! The flooding will be way worse than Hugo, because every model has it slowing down after it comes ashore. Hugo was 135 mph at landfall, Flo projected to be 140mph. I think the Hugo comparison is warranted, and we might be wishing it was “only” a Hugo, when all is said and done!

My call,, give Me crow with Well's BBQ Sauce..

Fran+Hugo+Floyd in a nice neat bow.. 

• Like 1