Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Florence

NCSNOW

14 minutes ago, Solak said:

That 96 over my house... that's the temp and not wind speed, right?

Honestly it would be like that all over I think, Fran was really bad on her NW side the center was 75-100 mile SW of PGV and we gusted to 110 so that track with that kind of storm would be the windiest hurricane in interior NC since Hazel, especially with the deep ridge off to the NE to really pack the gradient on that east and north sides...and then there is this....luckily the rivers are low but I dont know if they can deal with this.....

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018090812_240_480_220.thumb.png.e1edd335b8b9afaeb2107b243118cc0e.png

• Like 1

So the main thread needs a mod or two badly....time to go scorched earth over there......

GFS smokin crack crazy loop and dumps a insane amount of rain.....that plus the constant onshore flow would back the rivers up with surge and just make this friggen terrible....good thing this is a pretty unlikely scenario...at least the OBX wouldnt need to worry about flooding from the 3 ft of rain they get since surge would already be taking care of the flooding....

qpf_acc.us_ma.thumb.png.8a2da5dc7d0f7f42b52ccec5e42fcc2a.png

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

So the main thread needs a mod or two badly....time to go scorched earth over there......

GFS smokin crack crazy loop and dumps a insane amount of rain.....that plus the constant onshore flow would back the rivers up with surge and just make this friggen terrible....good thing this is a pretty unlikely scenario...at least the OBX wouldnt need to worry about flooding from the 3 ft of rain they get since surge would already be taking care of the flooding....

qpf_acc.us_ma.thumb.png.8a2da5dc7d0f7f42b52ccec5e42fcc2a.png

That is just unreal. 35.3" for me and almost 50" for Hatteras!! That model also has it hanging around as a cat 4 for 3 to 4 days. Very unlikely.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

Diana 1984 looped and hollowed itself out...cat 4 down to kinda crappy cat 2 before landfall. #garbagehistory

Here, go ahead and see what kind of storm surge could be expected from a cat 2 on the outer banks and surrounding locations. 

http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=d9ed7904dbec441a9c4dd7b277935fad&entry=1

• Like 1

Models change, our forecast does not. If I am going to change ideas, will likely be next Wednesday. Same biases remain in models, same physical conditions, They dont change every 6 hours enough for one run to mean more than another

• Thanks 1

It seems like the GFS is printing out that bonkers loop/stall solution because it might be having trouble resolving the strength of the WAR? Perhaps it ends up correcting south a bit at 00Z once it ingests the dropsonde data? Either way, tough to rule out any solution between perhaps GA and OTS at this point.

19 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

This is getting really scary. Hope she goes out to see, but looks like the tightest clusters from the model runs are between Charleston and Wilmington for landfall, and at least a cat 4 when it hits. This could be worse than Fran.

I agree, Florence may be the sum of all fears... I don't understand those dudes up in maryland rooting for it to go up the Chesapeake, makes me wonder, do they even get it?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BFF said:

It seems like the GFS is printing out that bonkers loop/stall solution because it might be having trouble resolving the strength of the WAR? Perhaps it ends up correcting south a bit at 00Z once it ingests the dropsonde data? Either way, tough to rule out any solution between perhaps GA and OTS at this point.

Will the data collected this afternoon be incorporated into tonight's 00Z model run?

11 minutes ago, Disco-lemonade said:

I agree, Florence may be the sum of all fears... I don't understand those dudes up in maryland rooting for it to go up the Chesapeake, makes me wonder, do they even get it?

I and DownEast,, Digress.. I'm sure He agree's I hope pulled he button on that genset.

I started mine.. got gas cans at the ready 

2 minutes ago, SENC said:

I and DownEast,, Digress.. I'm sure He agree's I hope pulled he button on that genset.

I can hold off till tomorrow afternoon on the gennie...found one on Amazon with Prime I can get it Thur even if I order it tomorrow......so if the models consensus still shows the ILM north towards me scenario at 12Z tomorrow I will order it. The model spread is not very large now and this is starting to look like a typical climo NC/SC border hit moving NNW to NNE over central/eastern NC.....I am officially concerned, a Cat 1-2 bring it on Cat 3 or better go OTS please. 

1 hour ago, SENC said:

I'll tell you, remember hurricane mathew a few years back? I was living in wilminton at the time, only a cat 1 (first hurricane I'd experienced), but when you see long leaf pines bending in ways they shouldnt over someones house, knowing they could snap at any moment will scare the bajeebus outta you. And the noise of it all I'll never forget... Then driving back through lumberton the amount of tree damage was surprising for how far in land they were. Straight line winds can maximize gust potential very quickly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Disco-lemonade said:

I'll tell you, remember hurricane mathew a few years back? I was living in wilminton at the time, only a cat 1 (first hurricane I'd experienced), but when you see long leaf pines bending in ways they shouldnt over someones house, knowing they could snap at any moment will scare the bajeebus outta you. And the noise of it all I'll never forget... Then driving back through lumberton the amount of tree damage was surprising for how far in land they were. Straight line winds can maximize gust potential very quickly.

You can hear them big gust coming....in every hurricane I have been in there is the normal steady roar but the big gust have a certain "rumble" to them and you can always hear the bigger gust coming sometimes for a min or two, and they are spaced out so you hear them coming then they hit then for a few mins its just the steady wind sound then your start to hear a rumble again etc etc etc, the closer to the center you get the faster the bigger gust come......and in Bertha we got the eye and you could hear ( and feel ) the rumble of the backside coming for a good 5 mins before the wind kicked back up. Its surreal how the winds went for almost totally calm to gusting steady 60-80 in just a couple of mins.....

• Like 3