Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Florence

TalcottWx

12 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Dude, im 40

Should've been an emoji with HfH's post.   ;)

Anyway, your age for Gloria is within a few months of mine for the Jan. 1953 ice storm in the hills west of NYC, an event I remember well, and which I "blame" for my interest in both weather and trees.  No surprise you would recall lots about Gloria.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's not entirely impossible that this thing spins down... coming ultimately over land as a weakened(ing) entity.  Not entirely, but in some amount of IKE ...  The Euro almost shows that with the mid level components of the vortex opening up some over Sunday while it's still technically not yet onshore.  

Thing is, the waters within 50 or 60 naut miles of the Carolines are quite warm, but not as thermally charged as it is some 100 mi farther out across the breadth of the g-stream.  Such that a spinning near stationary tumult could overturn some of the thermalcline - much to the chagrin of the media-machine that's profitizing so well off their 'button pushing' 

Nothing would please me more than to somehow dullard the affect of this thing... and, have them look like giant a-holes for this whole saga .. .Huh!  But then again, they'd just blame it on the Meteorologist and the common hoi polloi, with their stunningly razor sharp analytic insights/judgement, would have no problem following along with that spin and situate their criticism at the "right" source.

So you're saying it's not going to be a big deal? Shocking. They always over blow it.   Honestly if it was me I would stay put and hunker down and not evacuate unless i was like 10 feet or less above sea level.  

Well she's clearly falling apart...i wish they would.go over why...technically it is traversing over warm water...but the sw quadrant has always struggled...is it sheer, dry air, both? I wish they would talk about structure and environment...there must be some time to talk about that stuff...instead of just using the same graphics and rotating through a list of catastrophic adjectives.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Should've been an emoji with HfH's post.   ;)

Anyway, your age for Gloria is within a few months of mine for the Jan. 1953 ice storm in the hills west of NYC, an event I remember well, and which I member "blame" for my interest in both weather and trees.  No surprise you would recall lots about Gloria.

I'm 46 and I lived in Bayside, Queens in 1985. I remember the eye of Gloria passing overhead.

3 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Well she's clearly falling apart...i wish they would.go over why...technically it is traversing over warm water...but the sw quadrant has always struggled...is it sheer, dry air, both? I wish they would talk about structure and environment...there must be some time to talk about that stuff...instead of just using the same graphics and rotating through a list of catastrophic adjectives.

Just an ERC

4 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

You know what? Im so done with stupid people. Ive been talking with a friend who lives on Emerald Isle, NC. A barrier Island. She just texted me and said she may not evacuate her family because the track has shifted south so it is not goingnto be bad anymore. I had been chatting with her for almost 2 hours about how bad things could get and storm surge combined with wave height and the fact that there is only 1 main route on and off Emerald Isle and it could get flooded out. And her power could be off for weeks...it will at least be off for days, and how there will be no emergency services if they realize they have made a big mistake and need to be evacuated. OH MY GOD!!! I just cant deal with stupid anymore. So be it, if **** hits the fan and people are stranded and need help but it's too late, i wont feel bad at all. She and her neighbors who want to stay, the only thing they heard out of all the info was Track Shifted South...and to them, it means all the bad stuff has gone away.

It happens. They run the risk of being isolated for weeks without essentials, at best. At worst, the whole island gets wiped clean.

People work their whole lives to have nice homes/possessions. It’s tough to walk away from that knowing there may be nothing left. I don’t agree with it, but it’s probably not as foolish as it seems.

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I am 61 and remember it well. Had 3 kids living on the beach in Weekapaug,  evacuated,  my motorcycle a 650 E Kawasaki was sand blasted. All the trees turned brown on the south sides due to salt with zeeo rain. Lost a bunch of trees

He only remembers the winter storms for some reason. Has zero interest in weather. I'm a first generation weenie. 

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I am 61 and remember it well. Had 3 kids living on the beach in Weekapaug,  evacuated,  my motorcycle a 650 E Kawasaki was sand blasted. All the trees turned brown on the south sides due to salt with zeeo rain. Lost a bunch of trees

Tons of yellow jackets due to downed trees.  

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

No way...I’m 40...wait..,dang.  I’m 50

i old

I was a senior in high school and we were psyched because we got to miss some school nd not make it up

I just joined the 50 club Sunday.   Remember playing frisbee in the street during the day off from Gloria :-)   Diane and Jay are pups ! 

Yeah, there was barely any rain with Gloria. I remember staring out the huge picture window and watching the trees bend. Gloria is my most favorite weather memory

I think Florence will be about 100mph when she stalls and drifts sw, the coast will sheer her apart and when she finally landfalls, it will be 65mph

2 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Because TC’s are babies. Any slight shear or dry air and they have trouble. When the environment is real favorable, they tend to take off much faster than progged, but if the environment is a bit unfavorable....they tend to struggle and guidance is too optimistic. It seems after the ERC the environment had a hair too much shear and dry air. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It was the first time I ever saw people taping their windows.  Years and even decades later you could sometimes see houses where they never removed all of the tape.

I lived in Boston during Gloria.  Everyone was taping their windows.  I remember driving down Comm. Ave in Allston.  Building after building with tape.  

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Because TC’s are babies. Any slight shear or dry air and they have trouble. When the environment is real favorable, they tend to take off much faster than progged, but if the environment is a bit unfavorable....they tend to struggle and guidance is too optimistic. It seems after the ERC the environment had a hair too much shear and dry air. 

Euro has been doing well with intensity. gfs likes to James every circular motion of clouds into hell on earth. Not surprised by what she is.

56 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Gloria catapulted my weenie-ness. I remember the stratus just flying by at 90kts and trees bending. We lost power for several days. Way better than Bob in my hood.

Gloria was a great event for a budding weenie, I spent a solid week at the firehouse keeping generators running and going on calls (good stuff for an 18 year old FF/EMT). Bob fizzled for NECT. The next best memory was the blizzard of ‘78, out of school for a week and spent the entire time outside.