Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Florence

TalcottWx

8 minutes ago, Hoth said:

It certainly has historic potential and is worthy of discussion, but I thought the centralized tropical forum was created for that, while regional sub forums were more for local impact. Doesn't matter either way I guess.

Yeah that's sort of what I thought, but it's been so quiet in New England I guess it doesn't matter if there's a pinned thread for a tropical storm not likely to impact NE.

2 hours ago, duncanwxnh said:

OR unlike the Winter storms that don't hit us then this storm which is not therefore likely will. Don't understand the 'issue' with the thread being pinned. Discussion is always healthy with the models playing the 'model' game.

Well, while parsing that first sentence's structure nearly gave me a stroke, if we're fine pinning threads for events that probably will not affect us, why not pin one for west coast wild fires or Oklahoma tornado outbreaks or typhoons? I understand why the thread was originally created--there was a period when models suggested we might have some direct or peripheral impact--but that appears to be a vanishingly small probability at this point. The SE forum doesn't even have theirs pinned. Ours is still there and anyone can easily find it and use it, but why does it need to be pinned prominently at the top of the page? It's a silly thing to nitpick; it doesn't matter a wit; I just thought it odd since we're probably going to be lucky to sniff cirrus from Florence and there are plenty of other venues to discuss the storm in the main forum and other more directly impacted sub forums. Anyway, please carry on. Flo appears to have mixed out most of the dry air, shear is relaxing and hot towers are starting to wrap around the center. It should have a long runway to intensify from here. 

33 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Besides Charleston,  there's no big population centers on the coast until you reach the tidewater. Which is good in this case. 

Ideally this makes LF somewhere in Georgetown Co and pushes into Williamsburg Co as there are sparse populations in each.  That's not out of the question either with current Euro track.  

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The clustering has packed into SC and lower NC, sure. Either way, regardless of LF....where it parks itself is the bigger story for big floods. 

Hi Guys, lurked for over 10 years with only an occasional post, living in Charlton, but moved to Raleigh 6 mos ago. This thing appears to have us in its sights. I am a bit concerned about flooding and pine trees. 

I did spend all summer laughing at all your heat advisories, though. Just an average day down here. Kevin, you want dews and sticky seats, I got a spare bedroom and toilet. Unbelievable...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, bairn said:

Hi Guys, lurked for over 10 years with only an occasional post, living in Charlton, but moved to Raleigh 6 mos ago. This thing appears to have us in its sights. I am a bit concerned about flooding and pine trees. 

I did spend all summer laughing at all your heat advisories, though. Just an average day down here. Kevin, you want dews and sticky seats, I got a spare bedroom and toilet. Unbelievable...

Yea man looks rough, just don't hide out in the bairn

1 hour ago, bairn said:

It's the lone standing pines you really need to worry about, the pine forests and groups of pines should mostly be ok due to their root mat.

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It's the lone standing pines you really need to worry about, the pine forests and groups of pines should mostly be ok due to their root mat.

Lone pines, recently disturbed by lot clearing...along with other free standing irritated trees.

I’ll be happy to provide blow by blow (pun intended) coverage if there is any interest. I’m a New Englander and don’t frighten easily, but this looks ominous-winds in trop force range Thurs-Fri evening, even here in Raleigh. Can’t even buy milk as it will go bad in minutes. Just give me a blizzard.

• Like 1