Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Florence Catch all Thread

Brian5671

9 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Actually, I was up in vt for Irene.  That was biblical.  We were trapped in the mrv for 3 days before there was any road access into or out of the valley.  The destruction along the mad river was incredible.  We were staying at about 2000’ and so had no clue of the devastation until we ventured out the following morning.  

You can still see the scars from that event all over the place. The most obvious is going up Rt 4 east out of Rutland but there are some spots where there are trees stacked like cordwood across creeks but they're 15 feet above the regular water level.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 6:12 PM, doncat said:

Hilarious how TWC  continues to get lambasted after yesterday's fiasco...On their Facebook page, every serious story they post is accompanied by all funny reader comments.

The sad part is we stood in the eyewall when it came ashore with a crap ton of 80 and 90 mph gusts and a max of 105. It was legit hard to walk in it. But now no one will believe that. Anyway, chasing this hurricane was pretty amazing. Once I compile all my footage I'll share It here. 

• Like 5

On 9/16/2018 at 8:57 PM, NycStormChaser said:

The sad part is we stood in the eyewall when it came ashore with a crap ton of 80 and 90 mph gusts and a max of 105. It was legit hard to walk in it. But now no one will believe that. Anyway, chasing this hurricane was pretty amazing. Once I compile all my footage I'll share It here. 

I dont know why people wouldn't believe wind gusts of 105-106 since that was reported from Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach where the eye came ashore.   The NHC had a landfall intensity sustained at 90 mph and gusts are generally around 15% or so higher than that, so the math definitely works out.  Yes, the landfall intensity forecast was way off from a few days out, but intensity is very hard to forecast, and also didn't matter that much since there still was a high surge more typical of a Cat 3 because the storm got larger as the maximum intensity weakened.  Point being, we need to use an impact scale in these kinds of situations.  The SS scale is not an impact scale.  The same thing happened with Ike in 2008.

On 9/15/2018 at 4:20 AM, gravitylover said:

Chances are you won't see anything like that again for a long, long time. That was something truly amazing. The rain gauge in Fahnestock St Park recorded over 15" of rain that afternoon and most of the area along the Taconics got 14 or more. I don't remember the numbers down in Poughkeepsie but I want to say it was over 12" especially in the hills just east of town. The only other time I've seen rain anywhere near that heavy was in Cordova AK in July of 1989 when we got 11" in just a few hours in town and near 14" at the top of the mountains right above town. If I never see rainfall rates like these two again it will be ok, the devastation that much water in hilly terrain creates is overwhelming and you're absolutely powerless to do anything other than watch. Seeing 60 foot tall trees getting tossed and splintered like matchsticks and watching cars get picked up and washed into ravines is scary stuff :yikes:

Classic track for inland flooding  Usually the heaviest rains are about 100 miles west of the track of the center of the storm, so if the center passes over western LI like Floyd and Irene did, you'll see NJ, E PA and the Hudson Valley get the highest rainfall totals.  If it passes over say Montauk Point, then the heaviest rains will be in western Long Island and the city.

On 9/14/2018 at 12:15 PM, uncle W said:

next week Florence will be effecting us...How much rain will we get?...will it make this list?...

rainfall in NYC from a tropical storm/hurricane...

date.................amount........

Sept 1882.......10.63"

Sept 1944.........7.76" great Atlantic hurricane

Aug 2011..........6.87" Irene

Aug 1955..........6.32" Connie

Aug 1971..........5.96" Doria

Sept 1938.........5.74"

Sept 1934.........5.48"

Sept 1999.........5.44" Floyd

June 2013.........4.77" Andrea

Aug 1879..........4.59"

Aug 1976..........4.28" Belle

Oct 1877...........4.07"

Aug 1893..........3.94"

Sept 1904.........3.85"

Aug 1991..........3.72" Bob

Sept 1985.........3.58" Gloria

July 1960...........3.56"

Sept 1954.........3.30" Carol

Sept 1960.........2.42" Donna

Wow what kind of a track did that 1882 storm take and how strong was it?  Wasn't that our wettest month on record- almost surpassed by October 2005 (was surpassed on Long Island where there was 2 feet of rain!)

Also, I remember a tropical storm of 65 mph whose center crossed right over JFK, it was a B-storm in July 1996, it made landfall over NC as a Cat 2 or Cat 3 near Wilmington that isn't on the list, do you remember that one?  It was supposed to be our earliest major making landfall I think at 115 mph and took a slightly inland track but it was half over water so stayed a strong tropical storm at our latitude.  I just remembered it was Bertha!  How much rain did we get from that?  There was 7" in the Poconos.

Getting some gusts in the 30s from the South right now and a very sticky 75/75/100% combo 41st day this year of 75+ dewpoints!

15 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Wow what kind of a track did that 1882 storm take and how strong was it?  Wasn't that our wettest month on record- almost surpassed by October 2005 (was surpassed on Long Island where there was 2 feet of rain!)

Also, I remember a tropical storm of 65 mph whose center crossed right over JFK, it was a B-storm in July 1996, it made landfall over NC as a Cat 2 or Cat 3 near Wilmington that isn't on the list, do you remember that one?  It was supposed to be our earliest major making landfall I think at 115 mph and took a slightly inland track but it was half over water so stayed a strong tropical storm at our latitude.  I just remembered it was Bertha!  How much rain did we get from that?  There was 7" in the Poconos.

Getting some gusts in the 30s from the South right now and a very sticky 75/75/100% combo 41st day this year of 75+ dewpoints!

The B storm in 1996 was Bertha I think. I remember it as a windy rainy day for the most part. 

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

The B storm in 1996 was Bertha I think. I remember it as a windy rainy day for the most part. 

Of the tropical cyclones I have experienced and actually remember that one was definitely no big deal. A few branches down here and there. Bob and Floyd were much more impactful on the island despite similar reported wind speeds (Nassau county). Both of those where pretty tame compared to Irene obviously which had pretty much the same type of damage from wind and surge as Gloria. And then sandy of course was a whole level of magnitude greater.