Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Fall 2018

pasnownut

11 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

Freezing rain possible from sounds of it.

No.....

I go back out in the truck on Saturday morning. Picking up in Lewisburg going to Albuquerque. Was going to take 80 out to Ohio, but now may go south on 11/15 to Harrisburg/Carlisle and take the Pike west. Only thing is the Laurels?

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

No.....

I go back out in the truck on Saturday morning. Picking up in Lewisburg going to Albuquerque. Was going to take 80 out to Ohio, but now may go south on 11/15 to Harrisburg/Carlisle and take the Pike west. Only thing is the Laurels?

Laurels look ok depending on how early in the day you reach them.  Forecast is precip starts as snow well before dawn then switches to rain with a forecast high in Johnstown of 46.  There is no mention of freezing rain in their forecast at this point.  Around here I think any freezing rain at the very start will be very short-lived as temps will warm up rapidly as precip gets going.  As you can read CTP not even mentioning ZR for my area at all, just rain.  That could be because we are too far out for them to accurately call for a several-hour period of ZR when we're 72+ hours out from the start.

2 hours ago, Voyager said:

No.....

You should be in good shape coming through here. Also 219 to Maryland opens tomorrow

2 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Laurels look ok depending on how early in the day you reach them.  Forecast is precip starts as snow well before dawn then switches to rain with a forecast high in Johnstown of 46.  There is no mention of freezing rain in their forecast at this point.  Around here I think any freezing rain at the very start will be very short-lived as temps will warm up rapidly as precip gets going.  As you can read CTP not even mentioning ZR for my area at all, just rain.  That could be because we are too far out for them to accurately call for a several-hour period of ZR when we're 72+ hours out from the start.

10 minutes ago, irvingtwosmokes said:

You should be in good shape coming through here. Also 219 to Maryland opens tomorrow

Thanks guys! I'm going to probably leave out of our terminal around 6am. I'm guessing I'll be going through there late morning. We see how things go I guess.

This "blows chunks" as I have to roll Saturday morning by 6am from Wilkes-Barre down to Milton for an 8am delivery at Weis Markets, then pick up across the Susquehanna in Lewisburg before heading west to New Mexico. CTP's latest discussion does NOT look good for my morning travels... :angry:

It`s looking more likely that an icy mix will arrive Saturday
morning and could make for disruptive and potentially hazardous
post-Thanksgiving travel. The retreating arctic airmass is to
blame as cold air remains entrenched in the low levels across
the interior Alleghenies. Cold ground/surface temperatures may
also be a contributing factor for an ice glaze as readings
slowly rebound from single digits and teens just 24hrs prior to
onset. Ptypes should trend to all rain by Saturday afternoon.

Lots to be thankful for today.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Headed to cabin tomorrow (going early) as there was approx 12 to 15" OTG on top earlier this week, and I've got shoveling/plowing to do before the gang gets there.  

Not sure how much ice we have Saturday, but it appears that a few hours of slickness is possible before the cold is scoured out.  Also looks like after the Sunday/Monday system, we may have some fun to talk about.  

See yall later next week.

Nut

It’s 19 in NYC right now. Damn it’s cold. 

Very impressed with this cold with no snow cover. Low to mid 20s and 2:30 in the afternoon. This would be a very cold day in January.

Radiant heat from sun does feel good. Will be cold tonight!

However, sitting next to fireplace with a Ballast Point Sculpin feels better.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

8b0d5883cd573baafa8d785918eb9b64.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

CTP posted a Winter Weather Advisory for freezing rain for tomorrow am for most of CTP from roughly the Susquehanna River & west of there.

CC6B4656-5613-413D-AAA9-3373E9BA8D5C.png

Of course. Boarder to boarder. Doesn't matter which way I go (I-80 or I-70/76), I can possibly run into some icy conditions as the timing is just right...

2 hours ago, canderson said:

If you’re on interstates I think you’ll be ok. .1” ice on a heavily trafficked road usually doesn’t cause issues imo.

If I take 70/76, I'll probably go down 11/15 to 81 to Carlisle, although 11/15 is a major road in it's own right. I just really hate and somewhat fear ice. If there is any winter precip that scares me it's freezing rain.

Looking at models, it does look to be brief, but I'll likely be rolling somewhere right at the onset...

7 hours ago, anotherman said:

Need some advice. I’m headed to State College tomorrow morning for the game. Worried about conditions on the way up on 322. I’m in York. When would be a safe time to leave so we avoid the worst of the freezing rain?

I just logged on and saw no one answered you. I would leave early...like by 7am. All grass lots are closed tomorrow so parking will be tough and you'll likely need to walk or shuttle in from town. It leaves you with a lot of time to kill but at least you'll be there safe, parked, and settled in. All parking lots that are open will be available at 8am. Shop in town and go to the BJC to warm up and check out what is going on in there.

17 hours ago, Voyager said:

If I take 70/76, I'll probably go down 11/15 to 81 to Carlisle, although 11/15 is a major road in it's own right. I just really hate and somewhat fear ice. If there is any winter precip that scares me it's freezing rain.

Looking at models, it does look to be brief, but I'll likely be rolling somewhere right at the onset...

Kind of scarey when it feels like your tractor wheels are starting to break...safe travels!

3 hours ago, pawatch said:

Kind of scarey when it feels like your tractor wheels are starting to break...safe travels!

It sure is, and thanks!

Now if can only get out of Weis in Milton. Seven hours to get unloaded today, and all for a load that someone else got paid the miles (from Bakersfield CA) on. I'm beyond pissed off...