• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Fall 2018

pasnownut

I never once saw one Penn Dot truck today. I'm not one to throw out complaints quickly but today was an abomination. Roads are still horrific.

I saw them out at 11 am. They were sanding the roads. I think they were more concerned with the ice then the snow. Once the rates went crazy and everyone started to leave at the same time it was over.

. Pro

In terms of Turnpike plows on my hour and a half to two hours heading west bound on it I saw zero plows on the west bound size but there was multiple convoys of plows on the east bound lanes. Granted...obviously biased sampling there but Im pretty sure they have crews to cover both sides *EDIT* And based on how they typically travel in waves I should have passed or come upon one on the west bound side just by simple logic

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

Thanks. So tractor-trailers are the issue. Geez,  way to go @Voyager!

Not me... :P

I was safely tucked away here at home for this one. I had a new roof put on the house this week and decided to take the whole week off. I'm SO glad I did. Had I come back out of the house today I probably would have a noon appointment to pick up a load, and since it takes 2-3 hours to load, would have been out there at the WORST possible time. I'm uploading a short video to Youtube about it now.

Here in fairview township I83 was, maybe still is closed. Penndot  redirected off the highway onto are hilly winding crazy back roads we have out here with no detour routes set up. We have people out here stuck and lost here on 114 Fairview township from Philly Lebanon and other place stuck and lost.  What a mess they put these folks in you have to know where you are going to drive out here.

I think some of the blame for lack of road care today has to be put on the NWS zone forecasts.  There was a high probability of CAD holding longer than the GFS suggested, and was modeled fairly nicely on many commonly used systems such as Euro, Nam, and short range wise, the HRRR and 3K.  The 1-3" forecasts and no WSW for places like York and Adams county were almost bound to fail from the moment the enter button was pressed sending them out.  If they really wanted to make sure the public was safe they should have shot high on this one to let everyone know of the potential (likely potential in my eyes) of a borderline crippling snow.  Penndot had to allow some of these less than scary forecasts to seep in their subconscious when planning crews.

Also the possibility of some places simply not having enough employees this early has to be considered.  Here in Washington Twp they are advertising for people for the coming winter season so they do not have a full crew yet.

14 minutes ago, Flatheadsickness said:

Here in fairview township I83 was, maybe still is closed. Penndot  redirected off the highway onto are hilly winding crazy back roads we have out here with no detour routes set up. We have people out here stuck and lost here on 114 Fairview township from Philly Lebanon and other place stuck and lost.  What a mess they put these folks in you have to know where you are going to drive out here.

They sent people off to 114 as the main detour?! Dear god. 

Been an additional 1.5” of snow/sleet this evening bringing the running total to 9.5”. Overall depth at 9” so sleet isn’t really compacting things all that much. When precip ramps up its been going over to mostly snow. 

An awesome storm with some left to go. I’m not surprised this storm ended up more frozen than not and had a major front thump into the LSV. I mentioned a couple times in the lead up how the intense precip might make the changeover a moot point. 

lol they did. I just talked to my friend that lives in Lisburn. He helped dig out and sold his shovel to a guy that was directed off Exit 39a. Trying to find his why from york back to Lykens he ended up stuck and lost in my friends front yard in Lisburn. .  I here things are starting to move along now.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

They sent people off to 114 as the main detour?! Dear god. 

Im not 100% it was 39a but it was one of are exits in fairview township  and many people ended up on 114 in fairview/lewisberry or are back roads  where there trips ended. There getting things cleared up on some back roads but still many people off the roads waiting for help or a tow. I saw on the local news fairview township police where offering rides to a free shelter and giving out water to people that can wait it out in there cars. Again this was earlier I don't  know how it is out there now. I will probably take a walk down to the 39a rutters  for a can of chewing death when and if the wrap around gets here. I will report back If I can still keep my eyes open.

it has changed back and forth here  a few times in the past 45 mins and is mixied at the moment but mosly snow now at a good clip looks like it may quit here for 15 20 mins then a good 2hour or more finish . Heading out to end my great day with a long hike with the shepherd over the river a through the woods to rutters   

Apparently, per Facebook reports, we had thunder here when the CCB rolled through. If so, I was sleeping and missed it... :(

Other than that, we got about a 1/4 inch of sleet after the changeover last night, and right at 1 inch from the CCB. Puts the total frozen for the event at 7.75 inches in my backyard.

2 hours ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

Back to snow here in Enola.  Coming down at a good rate and I think we'll see a few more inches. This storm is probably one of the best overperformers I've seen in years lol

While i was clearing snow this morning, i had snow, sleet and then rain :blink: I'm certain had the temps not risen, we would be screwed this morning.