Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Fall 2018

pasnownut

2 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Trying to determine if warning criteria is close enough to warrant hoisting given the early nature of the event.

AFD this morning hinted at advisories outside the original warning area. Lets see which models they give more weight to tonight when deciding.

17 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Interesting battle setting up between the Euro/Ukie against the rest. Up until about 2 years ago you could take that combo to the bank. Not so much last year...who will grab the early lead in winter 2018-19?...

Yeah how bout it.  I thought the same thing when I saw ukie and heard Euro was flush....

3 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Today’s 12z looked pretty cold, lot of snow on the p-type products. 6+ for most everyone with less in SE PA towards philly. Also has a stripe of a foot plus right up the middle of PA (bit thinner than Euros) 

Thanks...I was reading in the forum to our south it was warmer. I should have looked for myself. 

3 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

LMAO warnings for ummmm no warning criteria.

something seems strange to me with the text data - the exact same snow and ice forecast is in some of the warning areas and the advisory area

Perry-Dauphin-Lebanon-Cumberland-
Including the cities of Newport, Harrisburg, Hershey, Lebanon,
and Carlisle
340 PM EST Wed Nov 14 2018

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM THURSDAY TO 8 AM EST
FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation expected. Total snow
  accumulations of 1 to 3 inches and ice accumulations of up to
  one tenth of an inch are expected.

Adams-York-Lancaster-
Including the cities of Gettysburg, York, and Lancaster
340 PM EST Wed Nov 14 2018

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM THURSDAY TO 8 AM
EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow accumulations
  of 1 to 3 inches and ice accumulations of up to one tenth of
  an inch are expected.

18 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Not sure they are allowed to do that.  Criteria is criteria.  

I just called CTP because I was confused and thought the same thing. They told me that when it comes to WSWarnings, there's a gray area with a mix of snow/ice where they can use their discretion to issue a Warnings or Advisory regardless of what the hard-lined all snow vs. all ice scenario criteria say. Their discretion in this case is factoring in that Dauphin, Lebanon, Cumberland, and Perry counties are more traveled than other counties. So while the amounts will be slightly higher than Advisory levels, the higher population and timing is being factored because it'll be more impactful. 

Oh, and hey guys! Winter is BACK!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AllWeather said:

I just called CTP because I was confused and thought the same thing. They told me that when it comes to WSWarnings, there's a gray area with a mix of snow/ice where they can use their discretion to issue a Warnings or Advisory regardless of what the hard-lined all snow vs. all ice scenario criteria say. 

It's the MOST WONDERFUL time of the year........

:whistle:

4 minutes ago, AllWeather said:

I just called CTP because I was confused and thought the same thing. They told me that when it comes to WSWarnings, there's a gray area with a mix of snow/ice where they can use their discretion to issue a Warnings or Advisory regardless of what the hard-lined all snow vs. all ice scenario criteria say. Their discretion in this case is factoring in that Dauphin, Lebanon, Cumberland, and Perry counties are more traveled than other counties. So while the amounts will be slightly higher than Advisory levels, the higher population and timing is being factored because it'll be more impactful. 

great to see you back!

7 minutes ago, AllWeather said:

I contacted them too and was told its due to it being first storm of season, healthy amount of sleet (though I don't think there is ever an amount of sleet that is healthy), and accumulations of freezing rain as to why the Warning and not Advisory

edit: haha just saw that you saw my tweet to them

12 minutes ago, AllWeather said:

Nice video on the FB, son. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, djr5001 said:

I contacted them too and was told its due to it being first storm of season, healthy amount of sleet (though I don't think there is ever an amount of sleet that is healthy), and accumulations of freezing rain as to why the Warning and not Advisory

edit: haha just saw that you saw my tweet to them

I would still prefer if they stayed consistent.  They can use the WWA to give people a heads up but the warnings should be for 4" or more or 1/4" ice (unless the criteria has changed since I was here before?)