Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Solak

September 2018 Observations

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Solak said:

I know some of you are hoping to see this often this winter.

Brad PanovichVerified account @wxbrad 10m10 minutes ago

Backdoor wedge front trying to work south with clouds and much cooler air. Stuck at the Iredell/Meck county line right now. #cltwx #ncwx #scwxDnyFuE2X0AEFZOG.jpg

It's nice to get the cool down. Just depressing that the only thing we can get is a backdoor "cool" front. Man we're over due for our first real cold front; with dew points in the 40s/50s. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Solak said:

0.03" overnight.

Today's former 70% "widespread 1 to 2 inches" is now a 20% chance of isolated showers with thunderstorms possible.


 

The front didn't move as far south as the NWS thought from yesterday; which also means we'll stay on the warm side of the front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, the front is hung up again in VA. The SE ridge is having a hard time giving up. This pattern of dying fronts on the doorstep is getting old.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hit 91 today. Currently 89/74 and still no rain. We went from 80% to 50% and now down to 20%. It has now been 12 days since it has rained here. Although good for the storm victims, not good for clearing out the air, ground, and the vegetation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2018 at 3:31 PM, Sw NC weather said:

Nice day today a little rain this morning 0.21 then overcast the rest of the day with a high of 69.4

I got family near your location. I'm perpetually jealous of your weather and scenic views. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been hearing continuous thunder from that storm near Garner for at least 30 minutes.

Dry here today. Clouds kept the temps down some. Peaked at 86/75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.3" yesterday. Blacksburg is up to 7.87" for the month with measurable rain on 18 of 27 days. Wettest month since September 2015. Between all the wedge fog and the rain, my lawn has declared victory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had thunderstorms in the vicinity for the past 3 days. Should maybe get a break today.

Interestingly enoughh, ATL overachieved Tuesday and Wednesday with highs of 88*F and 89*F. And even with highs now mainly in the low/mid 80s, average highs are now in the upper 70s and lows are still well above average (around 70*F).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The high so far has been 87*F at ATL.

No rain today. After the mid-level clouds mixed out and shifted SE during the mid-late morning hours, it's been sunny with SCT culumus clouds.

Dewpoints a bit lower too, in the upper 60s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Powerball said:

The high so far has been 87*F at ATL.

No rain today. After the mid-level clouds mixed out and shifted SE during the mid-late morning hours, it's been sunny with SCT culumus clouds.

Dewpoints a bit lower too, in the upper 60s.

So scratch that. The high was actually 88*F. Record high was 92*F, set back in 1941.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The temperature reached 97° in Tampa today. That set both a daily and monthly record high temperature. The previous daily record high temperature was 93°, which was set in 1961 and tied in 1986 and 2002. The previous monthly record high temperature was 96°, which was set on September 2, 1912, and tied on September 4, 1912, September 5, 1941, September 2, 1958, September 4, 1961, September 7, 1961, September 1, 1963, September 19, 1972, September 6-7, 1991, and September 20, 2018.

With today's record warmth, September 2018 remains on track to become Tampa's warmest month on record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The temperature reached 97° in Tampa today. That set both a daily and monthly record high temperature. The previous daily record high temperature was 93°, which was set in 1961 and tied in 1986 and 2002. The previous monthly record high temperature was 96°, which was set on September 2, 1912, and tied on September 4, 1912, September 5, 1941, September 2, 1958, September 4, 1961, September 7, 1961, September 1, 1963, September 19, 1972, September 6-7, 1991, and September 20, 2018.

With today's record warmth, September 2018 remains on track to become Tampa's warmest month on record.

This extended heat across the east and particularly across the SE is impressive. As other have posted, the PNA is negative, the AO is positive, and the NAO has been positive all summer. We at least need the PNA, and it's not looking good on that front. The long range models keep showing fantasy hope but again I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FallsLake said:

This extended heat across the east and particularly across the SE is impressive. As other have posted, the PNA is negative, the AO is positive, and the NAO has been positive all summer. We at least need the PNA, and it's not looking good on that front. The long range models keep showing fantasy hope but again I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

 

Fortunately, the winter state of the teleconnections isn't necessarily identical to the fall state. Hopefully, there will be decent blocking with PNA ridging during the winter.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×