• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Depression Gordon

AbsolutZero

The radar presentation actually looks quite solid, especially in terms of a tropical storm.

The convection in the developing eyewall is pronounced to the North and Northeast of the center. Wherever that tracks will probably experience close to hurricane conditions briefly. 

If you're looking to chase I would definitely pick a spot somewhere near Mobile or perhaps slightly East of there.

8 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

It really is organizing nicely and colder cloudtops around center, blown away by lack of interest.

It's partly because the Atlantic has been such a disappointment the last several years, excluding last year of course. 

But mainly it's that a high end TS, low end Hurricane landfall on the gulf coast isn't uncommon. If Gordon had more time over water you would see more interest.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

It's partly because the Atlantic has been such a disappointment the last several years, excluding last year of course. 

But mainly it's that a high end TS, low end Hurricane landfall on the gulf coast isn't uncommon. If Gordon had more time over water you would see more interest.

Honestly doubting we see a hurricane out of this. If you look at velocity, there is no inner core wind maxima whatsoever and the storm is still lopsided to the north and east. Maybe even slightly decoupled in this direction as well? I don't think it intensifies much more before landfall.

1 minute ago, Wmsptwx said:

Yea, probably....for me lack of activity has me more willing to follow anything remotely interesting.

Some people are happy just to have something interesting to track and others don't care unless a major hurricane is landfalling. It's no different around here than it is during Winter.

Just now, hlcater said:

Honestly doubting we see a hurricane out of this. If you look at velocity, there is no inner core wind maxima whatsoever and the storm is still lopsided to the north and east. Maybe even slightly decoupled in this direction as well? I don't think it intensifies much more before landfall.

Agreed, was just making a point.

2 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Thanks for information, lol likely giving up ghost on this one.

Gordon has struggled to establish a good surface vortex. Even though it has remained closed and evident at 850-700mb, it's been very weak on the southern side of the LLC from recon data. Stong convergence is occuring right now out of the SSE however and Gordon has good lift into the MLC which is well-established on radar. Nice MCS convection is also represented on satellite above this feature. Given time, this probably would have been a hurricane, and there is a slight chance this can still occur before landfall. I agree this is unlikely though. It's running out of time. However, in place of the strong NE core band, there may very well be some hurricane force gusts in there. Somebody is going to get more than a breezy rain storm.

• Like 1

Best wind speeds/gusts

Buoy 42039: 40mph gusts

Buoy 42012 (Orange beach): 40 mph gusts

Buoy 42040: 27 mph gusts

Pensacola Naval air station (Airport KNPA): 36 mph gusts

Destin Airport: 33 mph

Orange Beach/Gulf Shores: 23 mph gusts

wave heights peaked at 17 ft at Buoy 42039

This is not really super amazing, with only 40 mph gusts. The convective core is already close to Gulf Shores and Pensacola. How many more hours can it go before landfall? Maybe 6 or 7 hours.

• Like 2