Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Meteorological Fall 2018 Banter

dmillz25

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Most of us are still significantly above-normal on the coattails of 11/15, right? I'd assumed that system alone would keep us on track for normal snowfall right through the end of the year.

No way. Dec averages like 35” during our best snow seasons. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Most of us are still significantly above-normal on the coattails of 11/15, right? I'd assumed that system alone would keep us on track for normal snowfall right through the end of the year.

I just noticed that my snow pile from this still exists in some desiccated, tormented form. With enough tarpaulins and dry ice, I can probably prolong its suffering until 1 am on the 25th and call it a white Christmas.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Starting to remind me of Dec 2000. Cold and dry them we get slammed late month. 

December 30th, 2000.  To this date the heaviest snowfall rates I ever witnessed on the south shore in Nassau.    Didn't keep up that intensity for more than 30-45 minutes, but still, nothing has come close, which is saying something considering all storms we've had since then.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

December 30th, 2000.  To this date the heaviest snowfall rates I ever witnessed on the south shore in Nassau.    Didn't keep up that intensity for more than 30-45 minutes, but still, nothing has come close, which is saying something considering all storms we've had since then.

Yeah it was a great storm. If only it had lasted longer than 8 hours. Still some places got 2 feet

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I just noticed that my snow pile from this still exists in some desiccated, tormented form. With enough tarpaulins and dry ice, I can probably prolong its suffering until 1 am on the 25th and call it a white Christmas.

Please don’t use words that you yourself don’t understand. Hahaha jk

6 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Jan 2016 dwarfed all previous storms, though Dec 2000 was really nice too.

Great article on the parts of NYC that had the most flooding complaints in the last year.

http://labs.localize.city/puddles-or-small-ponds-where-new-yorkers-feel-most-deluged-by-street-flooding/

Here are the top addresses/intersections for street flooding complaints in the past year (with the number of complaints from Oct. 1, 2017 – Sept. 30, 2018)

• 147-05 and 147-11 259th St., Rosedale: 21
  • 41 and 52 Doty Ave., Arrochar: 17
  • 532 Craig Ave., Tottenville: 14
  • Grimsby Street and Mapleton Avenue, Midland Beach: 13
  • 314 to 347 Beach 84th Street, Rockaways: 13
  • Francis Lewis Boulevard and 231-07 Merrick Blvd., Laurelton: 13
  • Tennyson Drive and 101 Goodall Street, Eltingville: 11
  • 144-35 and 144-41 157th St., Springfield Gardens: 11
  • 5260 to 5360 Broadway, Marble Hill: 11
  • 114-36 to 114-48 141th St., South Jamaica: 11

To qualify as a hot spot, at least 10 complaints must have been filed on 10 unique dates between Oct. 1, 2017, through Sept. 30, 2018. There also must have been complaints in previous years.

Here are the top 20 neighborhoods for street flooding complaints in the past year (with the number of complaints per square mile)

• Marble Hill, Manhattan: 143
  • Midland Beach, Staten Island: 56.1
  • Stapleton, Staten Island: 44.3
  • Arrochar, Staten Island: 43
  • Midtown South, Manhattan: 40.3
  • Chelsea, Manhattan: 38.2
  • Rosedale, Queens: 34.4
  • Coney Island, Brooklyn: 33.7
  • Far Rockaway, Queens: 33.6
  • Borough Park, Brooklyn: 30.4
  • Eltingville, Staten Island: 28.4
  • Upper West Side, Manhattan: 27.4
  • Oakwood Heights, Staten Island: 24.8
  • Gowanus, Brooklyn: 23.6
  • Laurelton, Queens: 23.1
  • New Springville, Staten Island: 22.8
  • Flatbush, Brooklyn: 22.5
  • St. Albans, Queens: 22.3
  • Dongan Hills, Staten Island: 21.3
  • Pelham Gardens, Bronx: 21.2

The analysis looked at the number of complaints based on the square mileage of a neighborhood to even the playing field since some neighborhoods are much bigger than others. Only neighborhoods that had more than 10 complaints between October 2017 and September 2018 were included.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Great article on the parts of NYC that had the most flooding complaints in the last year.

http://labs.localize.city/puddles-or-small-ponds-where-new-yorkers-feel-most-deluged-by-street-flooding/

Here are the top addresses/intersections for street flooding complaints in the past year (with the number of complaints from Oct. 1, 2017 – Sept. 30, 2018)

• 147-05 and 147-11 259th St., Rosedale: 21
  • 41 and 52 Doty Ave., Arrochar: 17
  • 532 Craig Ave., Tottenville: 14
  • Grimsby Street and Mapleton Avenue, Midland Beach: 13
  • 314 to 347 Beach 84th Street, Rockaways: 13
  • Francis Lewis Boulevard and 231-07 Merrick Blvd., Laurelton: 13
  • Tennyson Drive and 101 Goodall Street, Eltingville: 11
  • 144-35 and 144-41 157th St., Springfield Gardens: 11
  • 5260 to 5360 Broadway, Marble Hill: 11
  • 114-36 to 114-48 141th St., South Jamaica: 11

To qualify as a hot spot, at least 10 complaints must have been filed on 10 unique dates between Oct. 1, 2017, through Sept. 30, 2018. There also must have been complaints in previous years.

Here are the top 20 neighborhoods for street flooding complaints in the past year (with the number of complaints per square mile)

• Marble Hill, Manhattan: 143
  • Midland Beach, Staten Island: 56.1
  • Stapleton, Staten Island: 44.3
  • Arrochar, Staten Island: 43
  • Midtown South, Manhattan: 40.3
  • Chelsea, Manhattan: 38.2
  • Rosedale, Queens: 34.4
  • Coney Island, Brooklyn: 33.7
  • Far Rockaway, Queens: 33.6
  • Borough Park, Brooklyn: 30.4
  • Eltingville, Staten Island: 28.4
  • Upper West Side, Manhattan: 27.4
  • Oakwood Heights, Staten Island: 24.8
  • Gowanus, Brooklyn: 23.6
  • Laurelton, Queens: 23.1
  • New Springville, Staten Island: 22.8
  • Flatbush, Brooklyn: 22.5
  • St. Albans, Queens: 22.3
  • Dongan Hills, Staten Island: 21.3
  • Pelham Gardens, Bronx: 21.2

The analysis looked at the number of complaints based on the square mileage of a neighborhood to even the playing field since some neighborhoods are much bigger than others. Only neighborhoods that had more than 10 complaints between October 2017 and September 2018 were included.

I find it really hard to believe broad channel and Howard Beach are not on the list. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NycStormChaser said:

I find it really hard to believe broad channel and Howard Beach are not on the list. 

It could be that the people in the coastal flooding zones are used to it  and don't phone in complaints as much as the other areas that got rainfall flooding this year.

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/10/12/16462790/queens-climate-change-jamaica-bay-flooding-photos

It really has gotten worse over the years, as you talk to some residents who have been here, or their grandparents were here,” says Joseph P. Addabbo Jr., the New York state senator for District 15, which encompasses Hamilton Beach, Howard Beach, Broad Channel, and several other chronically flooded Queens neighborhoods. “People have lived in there for generations, so they understand it, they know how to live with it, but they will also tell you that is has changed over the years,” Addabbo explains. “If not more frequent, there is certainly more water.”

• Like 2

Hey Guess What This Is:       HINT:   It A'int Ours!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/winston-salem-nc/27101/daily-weather-forecast/329824?day=3

18-20 out of the next 30 days here will be AN.     GEFS has us greeting winter on the 21st. at 20degs.  AN.     This better be as a good a forecast as the CFS for Nov. was.   lol

As of today (Fri), the CFS is basically AN starting the 14th., until Jan. 4----seemingly with little to break the monotony.

• Confused 1