• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Meteorological Fall 2018 Banter

dmillz25

All I know is that this move up to the North Shore better pay off for me. I expect nothing less than 50% added onto whatever Long Beach gets this winter, and for said snow to last 50% longer on the ground. Or maybe I just brought my suffering up north to the PSV, NorthShoreWx, etc crew. We already got cursed by the early season snow event. When you look at the sample size of 2011 and 2012 this happened in, guess it's a sign we need to surrender now. :( ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

All I know is that this move up to the North Shore better pay off for me. I expect nothing less than 50% added onto whatever Long Beach gets this winter, and for said snow to last 50% longer on the ground. Or maybe I just brought my suffering up north to the PSV, NorthShoreWx, etc crew. We already got cursed by the early season snow event. When you look at the sample size of 2011 and 2012 this happened in, guess it's a sign we need to surrender now. :( ;) 

How do you like your house up there?  Huntington is an awesome area!

Hopefully it will be a quiet 5 days

Beginning Tuesday, November 27, 2018, the WSR-88D radar operated by the NOAA National Weather Service in Mount Holly, NJ (KDIX) will be down for approximately five days for the refurbishment of the transmitter. Although the form, fit, and function of the transmitter will remain the same, old breakers and cables original to the radar will be replaced with modern fuses and new cables.  This will help keep the 20-year-old radar operating smoothly for another 20 years. 

11 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Hopefully it will be a quiet 5 days

Beginning Tuesday, November 27, 2018, the WSR-88D radar operated by the NOAA National Weather Service in Mount Holly, NJ (KDIX) will be down for approximately five days for the refurbishment of the transmitter. Although the form, fit, and function of the transmitter will remain the same, old breakers and cables original to the radar will be replaced with modern fuses and new cables.  This will help keep the 20-year-old radar operating smoothly for another 20 years. 

Is there a commercial radar, tv or other, that can be used as a replacement?

Only a 500m difference of opinion.

Don't you ever watch FOX BUSINESS or CNBC?

A weatherman calls the winter heat a 'pattern reload', those stock market sharpees call it a 'correction'.

Right!  And the reload takes all winter and the correction goes on 3 years with a 70% loss.

4 hours ago, CIK62 said:

EURO WEEKLIES all AN starting mid-Dec. to Jan. 8 at least.

Pray the EW's have become as bad as the CFS.

JB completely mixed up,   Spoke for 15mins. w/o saying anything.     

Qué sera, sera, but it would be amusing if the winter blows dead rats after we spent all that time assuaging each other's superstitious about an early snow.

• Like 1

Rare to see a record high and low so close together. But it's the 2010's so anything is possible.

Vero Beach has reached 85F so far today, tying with 1989 for the warmest temperature on this date. #flwx

Vero Beach dropped to 38F overnight, setting a record low for this date. Previous record was 40F in 2008.
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 10:44 PM, jm1220 said:

Think you should have stayed down in Austin. Yeah I know it's hot as hell down there during the Summer but at least you had mild Winters and a threat for legitimate severe weather. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bluewave said:

Rare to see a record high and low so close together. But it's the 2010's so anything is possible.

Vero Beach has reached 85F so far today, tying with 1989 for the warmest temperature on this date. #flwx

Vero Beach dropped to 38F overnight, setting a record low for this date. Previous record was 40F in 2008.

It's really crazy to see it in coastal Florida though.  Out of all the places in the country, that's where I'd least expect that to happen.

44 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

25-30kt gusts making waste of a perfectly sunny day in the mid-40s. It would totally be jeans and long-sleeve T weather if not for the wind whittling 15F off the apparent temperature.

At least it isn't as windy as Europe with the 100 mb pressure gradient.

GZ_PN_000_0000.gif.c02ca241c0abdaa70af49b5181d1dae7.gif

• Like 2