Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Meteorological Fall 2018 Banter

dmillz25

5 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

co2 doesn't affect individual storms

No not that, the whole package of changes, like warmer sst affecting storm tracks, bringing what would be offshore storms closer to the coast, more blocking, slower storms, more precip with higher precip rates like we have been seeing for a few years now.

On 11/14/2018 at 8:29 AM, RockerfellerSnow said:

I’m taking bets that Central Park gets more than 1.5 inches recorded. If I get it wrong I don’t post for a month, if I get it right you don’t post for a month

On 11/14/2018 at 8:52 AM, qg_omega said:

Sure

On 11/14/2018 at 8:54 AM, NycStormChaser said:

yesplease

Uh oh...

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

Gonna be a fun drive in on bald tires to the bronx tmrw morning :arrowhead:

Umm yeah... You're gonna be that guy that's doing 10mph and making everyone else late :whistle: Just steal your wifes car.

44 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

He wins great call

See ya ;) 

27 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

TonyLovesSnow for the win.

FTL? :) 

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

No not that, the whole package of changes, like warmer sst affecting storm tracks, bringing what would be offshore storms closer to the coast, more blocking, slower storms, more precip with higher precip rates like we have been seeing for a few years now.

all those things are already incorporated into the models

5 hours ago, forkyfork said:

all those things are already incorporated into the models

Thats interesting, I wonder why models tend to often have to correct back north (it's been happening from the 90s from what I remember, first one I remember that with was the Blizzard of 1996, and I remember Messenger's excellent prediction of 2004-05).  Statistically, the number of storms that correct either north or south should be similar but it seems like the storms that verify further north has been higher.

4 hours ago, Rjay said:

The dummies will most certainly torch them tomorrow.

They said this kind of horrible situation hasn't happened before but didn't we have people stuck in traffic and on mass transit for 24 hours during the Boxing Day 2010 blizzard?

Also is this worse than the post Sandy snowstorm? I remember lots of accidents and trees down from that too.

It's not the cars that can't handle it it's the tires they come with and the tires that people buy to replace those with. I have a few neighbors with Subarus and assorted other AWD cars and they struggled with the conditions yesterday. They fought through it last year too and just can't seem to understand why. I get around just fine in my BRZ with rear wheel drive and ~4 1/2" of clearance and nobody can figure out how I do it. Tires people, tires. The LRR pieces of crap that come on your cars get you decent mpg's but suck when it's cold and slippery, the car companies have to spec them to bring their fleet averages up that extra 1-2mpg but you don't have to stick with them. Then you have all of these people that go with UHP's or Max Performance tires because some dude on the internet told them that's the best for the car but they never seem to think that the recommendation is coming from someone in Texas. The whole thing gets me so frustrated...grrrr.

I agree @gravitylover.  Tires make a world of difference.  I daily drive my 5.0 Mustang lol (though she didn't have to deal with yesterday's conditions).  As long as there's no heavy snow on the road, it goes out.  However, I still want to look into a used F150.  My neighbor has a lifted one, and man I don't think there's anything better.  He can get through just about anything with it.  A properly set up 4x4 can blow just about anything away IMO.  Like you said though, even RWD is manageable if you have it set up right, though coming from my own experience, I'd feel a lot more comfortable in a nice 4WD truck (especially when roads are horrific like yesterday).

11 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I agree @gravitylover.  Tires make a world of difference.  I daily drive my 5.0 Mustang lol (though she didn't have to deal with yesterday's conditions).  As long as there's no heavy snow on the road, it goes out.  However, I still want to look into a used F150.  My neighbor has a lifted one, and man I don't think there's anything better.  He can get through just about anything with it.  A properly set up 4x4 can blow just about anything away IMO.  Like you said though, even RWD is manageable if you have it set up right, though coming from my own experience, I'd feel a lot more comfortable in a nice 4WD truck (especially when roads are horrific like yesterday).

Yeah my BRZ does more sitting than driving from now until ~April because we have a couple of other more winter appropriate vehicles in the driveway. I certainly feel safer in my 06 Durango when someone is sliding towards me :lol:

3 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah my BRZ does more sitting than driving from now until ~April because we have a couple of other more winter appropriate vehicles in the driveway. I certainly feel safer in my 06 Durango when someone is sliding towards me :lol:

Lol I hear ya.  Definitely not my choice when there's snow on the road.  However, on a day like today when it's all melted, it goes right back out.  The BRZ is pretty nice, my friend has a Toyota 86 (same car basically).  Light and very nimble.  The Mustang is more about brute force (420 hp), but it still handles pretty well for what it is.  You can feel it's weight though, and the live axle hinders performance a bit.  The newer ones have independent rear suspension now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Lol I hear ya.  Definitely not my choice when there's snow on the road.  However, on a day like today when it's all melted, it goes right back out.  The BRZ is pretty nice, my friend has a Toyota 86 (same car basically).  Light and very nimble.  The Mustang is more about brute force (420 hp), but it still handles pretty well for what it is.  You can feel it's weight though, and the live axle hinders performance a bit.  The newer ones have independent rear suspension now.

I'll keep it weather related :rolleyes: Last winter when it was so cold for those few weeks and the roads were nearly brittle it was such a hoot to slide around and get all drifty with on bone dry, salt covered roads. It put an absolute hurt on my winter tires though, I'm in desperate need of some new ones before I even think of taking it out in the snow this season, heck they're barely even passable in the rain anymore :( 

• Like 1