Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Meteorological Fall 2018 Banter

dmillz25

On 11/1/2018 at 12:09 PM, bluewave said:

A really nice surprise for birders in Central Park.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/31/nyregion/mandarin-duck-central-park-pond.html

My son came home with a picture he took of it. I didn't know what the fuss was. He's an ecology major at rutgers, likes to go to the Park and stops at the zoo for an hour or two.

I know it's still fall, but the Oct Noreaster ended the fishing season and it feels like winter. That said, anyone have a suggestion for a single stage snow blower? Getting too old to move the two stage around, they are great for moving snow ( as long as it ain't wet ) but hell to turn and back up. Plus they can't get into smaller places. Every model I read about has issues, from Toro to Honda. Leaning toward Honda, but the chute is FUBAR from the reviews I've read. Figured enough snow weenies around here would have a suggestion.

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

I know it's still fall, but the Oct Noreaster ended the fishing season and it feels like winter. That said, anyone have a suggestion for a single stage snow blower? Getting too old to move the two stage around, they are great for moving snow ( as long as it ain't wet ) but hell to turn and back up. Plus they can't get into smaller places. Every model I read about has issues, from Toro to Honda. Leaning toward Honda, but the chute is FUBAR from the reviews I've read. Figured enough snow weenies around here would have a suggestion.

Honda is the best but very expensive. Toro is the workhorse that the everyman seems to have.

I have a two stage toro manual start. 

Steep hill...self propel works great. 

2 hours ago, jfklganyc said:

Honda is the best but very expensive. Toro is the workhorse that the everyman seems to have.

I have a two stage toro manual start. 

Steep hill...self propel works great. 

Am leaning toward the Toro after reading a lot, but I like the easy access Honda has for the spark plug.Just tried to start my old 2009 MTD and can't easily get to the plug. I am exhausted just trying to start it. Someday engineers will make an electric model that can throw snow with power and isn't all cheap plastic that will fall apart. Until then, we're stuck with gas. Once you've been around a few years, you can spot trouble before it starts. The smallest toro has a cheap plastic lever for the choke. Now you just know that ain't gonna last. Gotta admit, my little electric toro still runs after ten years, but every bolt had to be replaced. here's to lots of 6-10 inchers this year ( over 12 is too much for me to deal with anymore! )

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Am leaning toward the Toro after reading a lot, but I like the easy access Honda has for the spark plug.Just tried to start my old 2009 MTD and can't easily get to the plug. I am exhausted just trying to start it. Someday engineers will make an electric model that can throw snow with power and isn't all cheap plastic that will fall apart. Until then, we're stuck with gas. Once you've been around a few years, you can spot trouble before it starts. The smallest toro has a cheap plastic lever for the choke. Now you just know that ain't gonna last. Gotta admit, my little electric toro still runs after ten years, but every bolt had to be replaced. here's to lots of 6-10 inchers this year ( over 12 is too much for me to deal with anymore! )

An 18" storm just gives you the pleasure of clearing 6" three times. :)

41 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

An 18" storm just gives you the pleasure of clearing 6" three times. :)

The slushy storms we get around here are no pleasure to clear! Forget the end of the driveway, slushy water and ice that freezes overnight. Well, the best insurance against getting big snows to buy a new snowblower....

• Like 1

I have a shovel collection, there's always one with the right blade shape to move what I need to move or break up. It keeps me young and humble too :lol: It also gives me the chance to spend more time outside in the snow when it's falling because I like to get it out of the way before there's too much at any given time. Most importantly I can shape and stack my banks to be the biggest on the block :snowing:

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I have a shovel collection, there's always one with the right blade shape to move what I need to move or break up. It keeps me young and humble too :lol: It also gives me the chance to spend more time outside in the snow when it's falling because I like to get it out of the way before there's too much at any given time. Most importantly I can shape and stack my banks to be the biggest on the block :snowing:

I was an “ I will get it done when it stops” kind of guy. I would tell my beautiful late wife that if it was up to her I would be waiting outside, with the shovel ready, to catch the first snowflake. Now that I’ve lost her and the house is my responsibility, I understand what my love was talking about. It took almost 45 years to get it right but some of us are slow learners. Now, when the occasion arises, I will be out several times enjoying the shoveling, the snowfall and, of course, remembering her.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, rclab said:

I was an “ I will get it done when it stops” kind of guy. I would tell my beautiful late wife that if it was up to her I would be waiting outside, with the shovel ready, to catch the first snowflake. Now that I’ve lost her and the house is my responsibility, I understand what my love was talking about. It took almost 45 years to get it right but some of us are slow learners. Now, when the occasion arises, I will be out several times enjoying the shoveling, the snowfall and, of course, remembering her.

Sorry for your loss buddy. I work at a place where they want every flake removed as it falls!

55 minutes ago, rclab said:

Condolences on the loss of your wife. hope we see a snowy winter.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rclab said:

You have my fullest condolences for the passing of your wife. I'm very sorry to read this sad news.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rclab said:

RCLAB ---I am very sorry for your loss

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rclab said:

Sorry for your loss

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, RockerfellerSnow said:

The quality of this forum has gotten so bad no real discussion here just bickering all the time. There’s literally a storm that could produce its first snow and no thread and not even a word from anyone

It got bad in the 42 minutes after you joined until you made the thread? Thats pretty bad, wonder what happened. 

• Haha 8

7 hours ago, rclab said:

Oh man I'm so sorry  :(  We're all too young here to be having to go through something like that.  Lean on us if you need to...

• Thanks 1