Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Meteorological Fall 2018 Banter

dmillz25

59 minutes ago, psv88 said:

My Crepe Myrtle died last winter. That cold snap where we hit -4 killed it. Local nursery told me that many died on the island. 

Yup, one of mine died back to the ground after feb 15. It did send up shoots and I have trained them back into tree form. The darker and more towards red the less cold tolarent they are. They are a souther tree and that’s why they leaf out so late.  

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

My Crepe Myrtle died last winter. That cold snap where we hit -4 killed it. Local nursery told me that many died on the island. 

I’m surprised it didn’t sprout back from the roots, I didn’t know they could be killed outright here. I haven’t noticed any dead ones near me, but it didn’t get as cold over here.

My ultimate low was +2, same as ISP, that morning was weird, I was surrounded by negative temperatures on 3 sides (according to WU) but managed to stay above zero.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Yup, one of mine died back to the ground after feb 15. It did send up shoots and I have trained them back into tree form. The darker and more towards red the less cold tolarent they are. They are a souther tree and that’s why they leaf out so late.  

Can you keep them alive if you cover them with burlap or a bag 

25 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I’m surprised it didn’t sprout back from the roots, I didn’t know they could be killed outright here. I haven’t noticed any dead ones near me, but it didn’t get as cold over here.

My ultimate low was +2, same as ISP, that morning was weird, I was surrounded by negative temperatures on 3 sides (according to WU) but managed to stay above zero.

The root was alive but I was done with that tree by then. Sold the root to my gardener for $20. Very frustrating tree to maintain. Grows like hell in the summer but doesn’t leaf out until June. Every winter I’ve had parts of the tree die and last winter killed everything above grade

33 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I didn’t have the patience to retrain. Parts of the tree died every winter. I had enough 

5 minutes ago, psv88 said:

The root was alive but I was done with that tree by then. Sold the root to my gardener for $20. Very frustrating tree to maintain. Grows like hell in the summer but doesn’t leaf out until June. Every winter I’ve had parts of the tree die and last winter killed everything above grade

same deal here I ripped it out-it's a southern plant for a reason-we're too cold most winters outside of 01-02 type deals

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The Crepe Myrtles here along the GSB are doing great. There is a red one that is still in full bloom. Didn't notice any damage following February 2015 or the near 0 on Valentine's Day 2016. Some were growing so fast that they were blocking the sidewalk. So the landscapers had to trim them back a bit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

The Crepe Myrtles here along the GSB are doing great. There is a red one that is still in full bloom. Didn't notice any damage following February 2015 or the near 0 on Valentine's Day 2016. Some were growing so fast that they were blocking the sidewalk. So the landscapers had to trim them back a bit.

Me either, delayed leaf-outs at most, but not killed to the ground. There’s quite a few mature 20-30 foot Crepe Myrtles peppered around the island.

9 hours ago, Cfa said:

Me either, delayed leaf-outs at most, but not killed to the ground. There’s quite a few mature 20-30 foot Crepe Myrtles peppered around the island.

The only problem I had in recent years was after the record hard freeze last November. My Deja Bloom Azelia was in full fall bloom after the record warmth last October. Had to replace it with another variety of plant since the freeze damaged too much of it.

Holy! Did you see the new UKMET?

It shows the most anomalously cold air on the planet located over the eastern USA during winter 2018-19, a big time trend compared to the previous run. 

Ben Noll

Every model is pointing to a cold and snowy winter for the east. Hopefully it stays like that.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

It shows the most anomalously cold air on the planet located over the eastern USA during winter 2018-19, a big time trend compared to the previous run. 

Ben Noll

Every model is pointing to a cold and snowy winter for the east. Hopefully it stays like that.

It seems as though this is usually the case, I hope it changes.

But regardless of however this winter turns out, I just want a warm March afterwards, we haven’t had one in ages.

3 hours ago, Snow88 said:

Ben Noll

I never like to be in the bullseye this far out. But another 95/96 wall to wall winter would be shangrala for me.

And I like Bluewaves point. A blizzard of 1888 track with today’s much moister atmosphere would be a 50-60” storm for us. Let’s do it before we eventually cross that threshold of not having enough cold air

• Like 1