• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Meteorological Fall 2018 Banter

dmillz25

https://weather.com/amp/storms/winter/news/2018-10-03-calgary-alberta-canada-snow-record-october.html?__ 

Calgary Just Had Its Snowiest Day in More Than Three Decades and Broke an October Snowfall Record

Yesterday was #Calgary's 7th snowiest day since records began in 1881.pic.twitter.com/cR93q4D7nM

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bluewave said:

https://weather.com/amp/storms/winter/news/2018-10-03-calgary-alberta-canada-snow-record-october.html?__ 

Calgary Just Had Its Snowiest Day in More Than Three Decades and Broke an October Snowfall Record

Yesterday was #Calgary's 7th snowiest day since records began in 1881.pic.twitter.com/cR93q4D7nM

And only 12.9” fell. I never would’ve suspected that their records would pale in comparison to ours, as cold as it is there. Calgary is about as cold as Daytona Beach is warm, in relation to our climate.

4 hours ago, Cfa said:

And only 12.9” fell. I never would’ve suspected that their records would pale in comparison to ours, as cold as it is there. Calgary is about as cold as Daytona Beach is warm, in relation to our climate.

No ocean or Great Lake to tap into for moisture. Their cold is a ‘dry’ cold lol.

7 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

It wouldn't shock me to see another 20"+ snowstorm or two in the region. 

Massive fuel source with the warm Ssts off the east coast. 

It's going to be a tough year I think for this sub-forum with the mean track closer to the coast. Going to come down to good timing of storm systems in conjunction with fresh cold air.

13 hours ago, Cfa said:

September was actually the snowiest on record for North America. All the cold in the Northern Hemisphere was focused in Canada due to the record blocking near Alaska.

DolmBtXU0AA3Kk1.jpg-small.jpg.3c34003b5a23406c4b01cce0e5d699ef.jpg

IMG_0267.GIF.bfe7af7fee256f798527f2be6204f42f.GIF

20 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It's going to be a tough year I think for this sub-forum with the mean track closer to the coast. Going to come down to good timing of storm systems in conjunction with fresh cold air.

Meanwhile other people are saying how this will be a great winter for the mid atlantic

49 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Not necessarily, I could see a few 14/15 esque systems that were modeled to go OTS only to trend closer and hit us hard. 

All of the signs I've seen were really positive for us moving forward. Additionally the cold air appears to be on our side of the globe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LR model test coming.

EURO WEEKLIES have been, and still are BN in second half of Oct.    GEFS looks similar.   GEPS brief cool down then a gentle trough and near normal.   The RWTT does not budge from AN till second week of Nov., just when the EURO is warming again.

The RWTT does not flip around and seems more stable than the others over time, and thus could be missing a brief break that means nothing long term.

24 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Ah yes I misread. It was just Tuesday's count which is even more impressive.

Impressive year in PA for out of season tornadoes.

https://weather.com/news/news/2018-02-16-uniontown-pennsylvania-storm-damage

Powerful storms rolled through southwestern Pennsylvania Thursday evening, leaving widespread damage in at least one town from a confirmed tornado.

National Weather Service meteorologists surveyed the damage left behind in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, after a severe storm hit the town at about 6:40 p.m. EST. Debris was widespread in the areas hit hardest, with trees and power lines downed and several homes severely damaged, according to CBS Pittsburgh. A senior living complex lost nearly half its roof, although the storm's path just missed Laurel Highlands High School, according to the NWS.

Following the storm survey, the NWS determined an EF1 tornado was in progress Thursday evening, with maximum winds of 105 mph. It was the first confirmed February tornado in southwestern Pennsylvania since records began in 1950.

• Like 1

The last hurricane to hit the Panhandle was Opal. We all know how that following winter was .

JB

"Years with tropical cyclones coming up into the gulf in October and having impact are signal for cold December in many cases. Why? MJO phases that help with tropical cyclones can show up again in December and they are cold phases for US at that time of the year "

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Snow88 said:

The last hurricane to hit the Panhandle was Opal. We all know how that following winter was .

JB

"Years with tropical cyclones coming up into the gulf in October and having impact are signal for cold December in many cases. Why? MJO phases that help with tropical cyclones can show up again in December and they are cold phases for US at that time of the year "

Except for, y'know... Earl '98, Dennis '05, Hermine '16, and maybe a couple I'm forgetting about

On 10/7/2018 at 10:18 AM, Cfa said:

You know it’s been warm when the Crape Myrtles still have flowers on them, albeit not as much as they have in the summer.

It’s difficult to imagine them being bare in a little over a month’s time.

My Crepe Myrtle died last winter. That cold snap where we hit -4 killed it. Local nursery told me that many died on the island.