Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Meteorological Fall 2018 Banter

dmillz25

11 hours ago, rclab said:

A 90 in NYC at the end of November, Imagine similar temperatures all the way to Maine. The Moderators for the New England forum and ours would have to hire mercenaries to keep us under control. 

I wish it only snowed on Christmas and then went back to 80's and sunny for the rest of the year.

• Sad 1

According to the RWTT it is going to be worse than that.   It looks hotter than ever during the next 90 days.   Virtually all BN 'square mileage' in the NH vanishes, and it does not  start with that much.    

Find a way to artificially cool the Halloween pumpkins and keep the Bermuda shorts handy for Election Day.    

Yet JB says a cold winter is setting itself up now.   Hope some long range model can show some support for that prediction.

The LR burns me up.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

According to the RWTT it is going to be worse than that.   It looks hotter than ever during the next 90 days.   Virtually all BN 'square mileage' in the NH vanishes, and it does not  start with that much.    

Find a way to artificially cool the Halloween pumpkins and keep the Bermuda shorts handy for Election Day.    

Yet JB says a cold winter is setting itself up now.   Hope some long range model can show some support for that prediction.

The LR burns me up.

every year it's the same thing.  Sure we could get cold and snow in Nov/Dec, but the ridge has often set up over that warm water since we've been in this +AMO making summer/fall last longer....We've had two cold months this year-Mar/April, other than (and the 1st week of Jan) it's been a torch

7 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

every year it's the same thing.  Sure we could get cold and snow in Nov/Dec, but the ridge has often set up over that warm water since we've been in this +AMO making summer/fall last longer....We've had two cold months this year-Mar/April, other than (and the 1st week of Jan) it's been a torch

I tend to agree this fall is well above normal. I do believe we see above normal snow this winter but most of it falling in a few big events. Overall it’s mostly a wall to wall torch

You guys make me laugh.

Especially with that LR forecast that gets posted every day.

Last year we were told in November that every month until May was a torch.

I particularly liked that post. I remember it well every time I read a LR forecast post.

I remembered it well as I was trying to thaw pipes on New Years Day. And I remembered in during the record warm February...and the subsequent March snows.

Put the fall jackets and snow shovels away boys. It ain’t happenin...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jfklganyc said:

You guys make me laugh.

Especially with that LR forecast that gets posted every day.

Last year we were told in November that every month until May was a torch.

I particularly liked that post. I remember it well every time I read a LR forecast post.

I remembered it well as I was trying to thaw pipes on New Years Day. And I remembered in during the record warm February...and the subsequent March snows.

Put the fall jackets and snow shovels away boys. It ain’t happenin...

We have had how many below normal months in the last 5 years? I’ll give you a hint it’s less then 10 of 60. Even in an above normal tempeture regime there are periods of below normal days. 

If this board “makes you laugh” then why bother reading/posting?

59 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

We have had how many below normal months in the last 5 years? I’ll give you a hint it’s less then 10 of 60. Even in an above normal tempeture regime there are periods of below normal days. 

If this board “makes you laugh” then why bother reading/posting?

To be fair, we did have a period of relatively cooler conditions from late 2013 to early 2015. That would probably help account for more than 10 months overall.

30 minutes ago, WarrenCtyWx said:

To be fair, we did have a period of relatively cooler conditions from late 2013 to early 2015. That would probably help account for more than 10 months overall.

You had feb 15 which was well below normal other then that it’s been mainly above. I’m sure unc has the stats 

17 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

You had feb 15 which was well below normal other then that it’s been mainly above. I’m sure unc has the stats 

Beginning May 2015 we kicked off that incredible stretch that lasted into December 2015.  Since then, Fall seems to have been extended and Winter has generally become backloaded (last year being a textbook example).

• Like 1

Correct. Sept-thru Dec seems most effected.

The back-loaded winter has been effected by two record Februarys in a row.

To answer your question Long Beach, there is a lot of good stuff on here.

The LR speculation updated every few days isnt very accurate.

More importantly, if we are looking at AN/BN months, it fails to account for extremes like last September or January (which seems to be happening with greater frequency) that start out with a record in one direction, end with a record in a different direction and on paper come out...normal.

Was last winter a torch? Surely 6 weeks of above normal temps would indicate that, right? Except, it wasn't.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

I'd go longer-bath tub water will promote a ridge-I think we're warm into December and then we get a backloaded winter....

I think we'll have a cooler than normal October to break the pattern temporarily and then go back above normal for November and December before finally settling in to our winter pattern sometime after mid January (probably around the 20th as has been happening lately.)

On 9/16/2018 at 4:46 PM, CIK62 said:

Anyone noticing that Great Britain, Ireland, and Scotland area are about to have about 4 ocean storms muscle in on them in the next week?  

Wonder if that is typical for them at this time of the year?

They also had a very hot summer after a very stormy late winter and early spring just like we had.

10 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

You know I love the heat, but I can't argue with that.  Always interesting, especially when it's more than a dusting.

That was a very weird and interesting winter and spring we had, from 80 degrees in February to noreaster after noreaster in March and a snowstorm in early April.  That snowstorm in early April is something that seems to be more common before the development of an El Nino for the following season.  And after that cold and stormy April we went right into a summery pattern in May.

• Like 1