Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Foliage 2018

Sugarloaf1989

4 hours ago, eyewall said:

Not this year. It is a failed foliage season in western NC for now. The highest elevations are dull and browning out with leaf drop. Below that, the color doesn't seem to want to go and is over 2 weeks behind at this point. Not sure if there will be much of anything but going from green to brown as the leaves drop off. 

I saw that from friends. That's three poor years in the row going back to awesome foliage season of 2015.

• Like 1

You can always find pockets or individual specimens of color if you spend enough time looking. I drove out toward Barkhamsted earlier in the week and don't believe I passed a single tree that struck me as vivid... and that's a fairly robust tour of the NW hills where people live, not just zipping through on a generic freeway.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

You can always find pockets or individual specimens of color if you spend enough time looking. I drove out toward Barkhamsted earlier in the week and don't believe I passed a single tree that struck me as vivid... and that's a fairly robust tour of the NW hills where people live, not just zipping through on a generic freeway.

Nah. Best CT foliage season in many years. Vibrant 

I know PF and some others have posted some pretty nice shots of Foliage, but I have to channel my inner DIT.  This is my 4th fall here, and this year seemed much less vibrant compared to the other three.  2015-17 all looked equally great to me--I couldn't distinguish one year being better than the other.   This year I just didn't notice the widespread Reds like previous years, of course there were some pockets and good areas, but I don't remember seeing so many yellows and browns in the previous 3 years like this year.  I even looked backed at some photos on a micro scale at some Maples in my yard, a few of the Reds went more brownish/yellow/red than just straight red like previous years. 

I'm specifically talking about the East Slopes of the Taconics and West Slopes of the Greens here in SVT and valley areas.

• Like 1

Just now, backedgeapproaching said:

I know PF and some others have posted some pretty nice shots of Foliage, but I have to channel my inner DIT.  This is my 4th fall here, and this year seemed much less vibrant compared to the other three.  2015-17 all looked equally great to me--I couldn't distinguish one year being better than the other.   This year I just didn't notice the widespread Reds like previous years, of course there were some pockets and good areas, but I don't remember seeing so many yellows and browns in the previous 3 years like this year.  I even looked backed at some photos on a micro scale at some Maples in my yard, a few of the Reds went more brownish/yellow/red than just straight red like previous years. 

I'm specifically talking about the East Slopes of the Taconics and West Slopes of the Greens here in SVT and valley areas.

Maybe its because I spent the week before Columbus Day in SoCal but when I came back, I thought my area was having one of the more vibrant stretches in a while.  It had seemed a little duller than usual before I left but I felt like it had really cranked up while I was gone.

1 hour ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

The NEK was the best foliage I've seen since 2015, very vibrant colors. The bad part of the foliage season this year was the persistently cloudy conditions at peak foliage in Vermont.

I actually think cloudy days are good for foliage.  The colors really pop against a gray background.

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Maybe its because I spent the week before Columbus Day in SoCal but when I came back, I thought my area was having one of the more vibrant stretches in a while.  It had seemed a little duller than usual before I left but I felt like it had really cranked up while I was gone.

Yea, I don't know. Maybe because there was so much Stratus low clouds/rain in and around peak in this area. Weather was terrible--and visibility low at points.  But, I have 2 steep mountain ranges to the east and west I look at every single day, and I was never wowed like in previous years.

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

I actually think cloudy days are good for foliage.  The colors really pop against a gray background.

Up close and personal, a cloudy day, even a little light fog, seems to make the brightest trees even brighter.  Not good for vistas, of course.

I'd give this leaf-color season a B, goodly amount of strong color, perhaps a bit shorter than average.  Peaked over the holiday weekend, blew away a few days later.  As usual, the sticks still include a few highlights - my favored Sand Hill maple is aglow.

44 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

thats a horrible comparison pic. first one in full sun, second in full shade.

I was just going to say that.  You can't even compare the two.

Some people need to take advantage of the weekend and drive around the back roads of NE CT.  The only problem is all the bare maple trees so a lot of strong color trees have already dropped.

I have to say, I agree with DIT, this is the worst foliage season I can remember in SNE. I just came back from a drive into Northwestern Connecticut and Southwestern Massachusetts. I drove on CT Route 20, MA Route 8, MA Route 23 and Route 20 back to I-91. I didn't come across any color worth taking a picture of. The two types of fall color where green and brown. The higher elevations of Route 23 are bare around the Otis area.

Here in Enfield it's incredibly green for late October, on my block the foliage could pass for August 19th:

Enfield2018 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1

I am happy the ADK's produced nicely for me just before I left on my recent visit because down here it is being called the worst foliage season in over a decade for the NC High Country:
http://wataugaonline.com/fall-color-report/

I took this drone shot on my daytrip to the NC mountains (I may post a few more). Good views but color is lacking as this has some enhancement:
44776228_10105737621956519_9016073108146

The NC Mountains have already had their first taste of snow now and recent high winds blew off a lot of remaining leaves.

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Here are a few shots with some enhancement (though nothing too crazy) of the foliage in the NC Mountains. It is considered a dud up there as well (worst in over a decade). That said, there were still some nice views:

That was a fun photography spot when I went in 2015 (aka the last decent foliage season there). It took me 45 minutes to get one shot of Linn Cove Viaduct completely clear because tourists kept stopping in middle of the bridge. You're right, I've seen way better colors there... but beautiful pictures anyway!

37 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

That was a fun photography spot when I went in 2015 (aka the last decent foliage season there). It took me 45 minutes to get one shot of Linn Cove Viaduct completely clear because tourists kept stopping in middle of the bridge. You're right, I've seen way better colors there... but beautiful pictures anyway!

Thankfully now they put a stop to cars parking on the bridge itself. There is a pull off just after with a trail back to it. You have to hike up onto a rock nearby to get the above shot. Two hurricanes, excessive rain, and the Sept/early Oct death ridge all did it in this time. 

5 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Thankfully now they put a stop to cars parking on the bridge itself. There is a pull off just after with a trail back to it. You have to hike up onto a rock nearby to get the above shot. Two hurricanes, excessive rain, and the Sept/early Oct death ridge all did it in this time. 

That's what I did. I hiked up about quarter of the mile to that spot you're talking about for the famous angle (the second picture from top). 

I don't remember how good NC fall foliage was last year (I was up here), but 2016 was awful because of the wildfire smoke to point it wasn't healthy to hike.