Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Foliage 2018

Sugarloaf1989

On 10/12/2018 at 3:39 PM, powderfreak said:

Foliage is done completely.  Yesterday's rain did it in.

At least 50% sticks and the rest duller orange/yellow ready to fall off.

Yeah, it appear I mis-timed my visit to Stowe/Waterbury area to see a relative by 48 hours. That's pretty much what I saw up by the ski area. However, Richmond still had a nice show ongoing and the drive on VT-100 south of Waterbury was BEAUTIFUL. Will have to come back next year and try to take a day off in middle of week to deal with thinner crowd. And so I don't have to risk waiting until the weekend before rain/wind tear down the peak.

I also drove through US-2 and down I-93. Really pretty colors by Danville, VT with the view of snow-capped Mt. Washington. Unreal sights driving by Whites and through US-4 in eastern C NH.

6 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Any Massachusetts residents have good foliage conditions?

Hey, all. Went with my wife to the Berkshires this weekend and was not impressed with color at all from here in the Tug the whole way to western Massachusetts. Seems like many trees have just dropped their leaves with not much color or the colors are dull oranges. Mt. Greylock had the best color...which was hard to see because of dense fog as we drove up it.

I must live in a micro autumnal optimum (compared to others) Colors are vibrant here in Worcester city. Actually on or ahead a little, though I can't figure out why with all the rain and warmth. Anyhow it's very nice. Even our "bad" foliage is amazing by the standards of most other folk living in the coo/cold temperate zones. Only northern Japan, parts of Korea, and some of our own upper Great Lakes areas and adjacent Canada can compete. 

16 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

I must live in a micro autumnal optimum (compared to others) Colors are vibrant here in Worcester city. Actually on or ahead a little, though I can't figure out why with all the rain and warmth. Anyhow it's very nice. Even our "bad" foliage is amazing by the standards of most other folk living in the coo/cold temperate zones. Only northern Japan, parts of Korea, and some of our own upper Great Lakes areas and adjacent Canada can compete. 

High elevation areas of western North Carolina are pretty good too.

7 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Maybe we are waiting for that color burst down here but in comparison to our better years things are  a bit dull,  brightest early trees went by and the next wave has lacked vibrance but there is still quite a bit of green so  its certainly not a completely done deal here yet.

Maybe the last batch does better.. but everything so far has gone dull orange/ brown and quickly fallen . Let’s see how the red maples do 

It was close to 90F here a little less than a week ago. This combined with high humidity/rainfall and very warm overnight low temperatures delayed the foliage change.

It's only been back to normal and below for a short time. I'm hopefully there will be a good end of the foliage season. 

I'm heading up to Southern Massachusetts on Friday and perhaps the Litchfield Hills.

The NEK was outstanding two weeks ago, so it hasn't been a total loss for me.

10 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Maybe the last batch does better.. but everything so far has gone dull orange/ brown and quickly fallen . Let’s see how the red maples do 

I don't know about down there, but a lot of maples here have already turned.  There's stretches of roads with bare trees because of that.  The season is not over but it looks like were going to have like two different peaks, at least around me - one for maples and one for everything else that was more delayed.

9 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I don't know about down there, but a lot of maples here have already turned.  There's stretches of roads with bare trees because of that.  The season is not over but it looks like were going to have like two different peaks, at least around me - one for maples and one for everything else that was more delayed.

Down there? We live at same latitude and my elevation is up there 

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Down there? We live at same latitude and my elevation is up there 

You are south of me.  That would be "down" and that's why I said what I said.  Today on my ride into work I noted a number of bare maples and even whole sections of woods that have bare maples.  That's why I said what I said.  Apparently down the street and a few miles south of me the maples haven't even turned.  I'm guessing that's why you said "let's see how the red maples do" because they haven't changed yet.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

You are south of me.  That would be "down" and that's why I said what I said.  Today on my ride into work I noted a number of bare maples and even whole sections of woods that have bare maples.  That's why I said what I said.  Apparently down the street and a few miles south of me the maples haven't even turned.  I'm guessing that's why you said "let's see how the red maples do" because they haven't changed yet.

You’re basically Ene of me. Same lat. Just lower down in elevated valley 

On 10/17/2018 at 1:09 PM, WxBlue said:

High elevation areas of western North Carolina are pretty good too.

Not this year. It is a failed foliage season in western NC for now. The highest elevations are dull and browning out with leaf drop. Below that, the color doesn't seem to want to go and is over 2 weeks behind at this point. Not sure if there will be much of anything but going from green to brown as the leaves drop off. 

8 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I'm also surrounded by hills higher than you.  I don't know what to tell you - lots of bare maples around here.  The ones down by you still have leaves?

The ones that typically turn orange all browned out all over NE CT . They went green to ugly to bare . The red maples are turning now, but seem more brown /red 

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Peters tweet really sums up SNE this fall. That’s about 1,000 foot hill in Somers . 

Soapstone is actually closer to 1100'.  It's also mostly oaks being in the state forest.  I haven't been up there but I would be surprised if the maples at the bottom of the hill haven't already turned like others in the area.  If you take 190 between Somers and Stafford you'll notice that even at 1,000' by Johnson Memorial the maples are mostly bare now.

I think part of the issue is the different species turning at different times.  If you go back a few pages you'll see pictures that I posted of fully changed maples in Stafford, including several red and orange trees.  At the same times other species had not fully changed for the most part so it's almost like we are getting two peaks - one for maples and one for everything else. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The ones that typically turn orange all browned out all over NE CT . They went green to ugly to bare . The red maples are turning now, but seem more brown /red 

I call bunk on that and the pictures I took two weeks ago show that.  I have a large bare maple tree in my yard that had nice color when it was in bloom.  You can't make blanket statements like "all over NE CT" when you haven't been "all over NE CT".  I'm just just glad I don't live down by you and had nice colors in our maples here.

4 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I call bunk on that and the pictures I took two weeks ago show that.  I have a large bare maple tree in my yard that had nice color when it was in bloom.  You can't make blanket statements like "all over NE CT" when you haven't been "all over NE CT".  I'm just just glad I don't live down by you and had nice colors in our maples here.

You live right by me lol. There’s no difference 

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You live right by me lol. There’s no difference 

OK...then stop saying that the maples haven't turned yet because if there was no difference you'd know that I have bare maples around me, including on 1,000' ridges.  You make these blanket statements and think that when looking out your window it must be the same everywhere else.  That's what's LOL worthy.

I guess according to your logic both of the trees with full color in either of these pictures suddenly had their leaves turn brown or they turned back to green and are yet to change:

IMG_20181007_152937976_HDR.jpg.ac2d2aec72fe2a97bb3aedc8b365cb51.jpgIMG_20181007_161436383_HDRb.jpg.0b0e487f4e5f7a3000aa0e6ae18d9742.jpg

These pictures were taken 11 days ago.  I assure you that they and every other maple that were changed at that time are bare now.  But, if you want to stand by your statement that "The ones that typically turn orange all browned out all over NE CT . They went green to ugly to bare . The red maples are turning now, but seem more brown /red" you are welcome to.