Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Fall Foliage 2018

Sugarloaf1989

7 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Fore left!

I actually do this conference for 3 days, then hop a flight to SC and then I'm playing in Kiawah (maybe not AT Kiawah, but still).

Pffffft, like Kiawah will be better than a member owned 9-holer in NNE that’s getting ready to shut down for the season!

7 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I am happy I got to shoot some fantastic color in the ADK's as apparently indications are it will be a failed season in the NC Blue Ridge. Too warm and too much rain. 

It's blown up in the Greens over the last week or so.  Absolutely peak around here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Looks like it's past peak foliage conditions above 2'500' in Southern Vermont. 

Same up here... it happened fast.  It's duller up high and lots of leaf drop.  Still prime time from 2,500ft and below.  Best color seems to be in the 1,000-1,500ft range right now, IMO.  The hardwoods at that elevation are on fire.

52 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Same up here... it happened fast.  It's duller up high and lots of leaf drop.  Still prime time from 2,500ft and below.  Best color seems to be in the 1,000-1,500ft range right now, IMO.  The hardwoods at that elevation are on fire.

For some reason Killington still looks good with full foliage to at least 3'000'. I'm thinking of driving there first and then heading south on 100. Hopefully it's sunny tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

For some reason Killington still looks good with full foliage to at least 3'000'. I'm thinking of driving there first and then heading south on 100. Hopefully it's sunny tomorrow.

I may be wrong, it may be up near 3,000ft... foliage is still prime but I noticed up high it was a lot of leaf drop.

The best color is in the lower hardwoods on the lower half of the mountain at Stowe into the base area.  I'm taking this picture from about mid-mountain.

43527321_10103551516184960_1876008527680

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I may be wrong, it may be up near 3,000ft... foliage is still prime but I noticed up high it was a lot of leaf drop.

The best color is in the lower hardwoods on the lower half of the mountain at Stowe into the base area.  I'm taking this picture from about mid-mountain.

43527321_10103551516184960_1876008527680

Stratton is about 60% bare above 2,500' from what I saw on the webcam today. Seems like it varies by area. I just want to get out ahead of the heavy rain forecast for Thursday.

We're starting to get some leaf drop now and I think my location is now starting to go past peak. The best color was Friday when it was sunny. I feel bad for all the tourists who came up here expecting to see the color, but it was shrouded in fog and low clouds most of the weekend. What a damp, foggy fall it's been weather wise, but the foliage was probably at least average if not better than average.

IMG_0900.JPG

1 hour ago, WxBlue said:

Hey guys! I might go out to Vermont to photograph the foliage. Are there locations I could check out to get awesome pictures for my northern relatives living in the South now?

Ooh, you may be a tad late for the best stuff.  I think peak around my locale in north-central VT peaked this week and we have started to see significant leaf drop.  Maybe in the CPV or CTRV?

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Ooh, you may be a tad late for the best stuff.  I think peak around my locale in north-central VT peaked this week and we have started to see significant leaf drop.  Maybe in the CPV or CTRV?

That's a bummer. I was thinking about going this Saturday.

1 hour ago, WxBlue said:

That's a bummer. I was thinking about going this Saturday.

I'd suggest Belgrade Lakes, will be at peak (many trails in Kennebec Highlands, also a drive-to at Blueberry Hill off the Watson Pond Road), or perhaps the hills around Winni in your state, or Bridgton in Maine.  My area 10-15 miles north of Belgrade has been at peak this week, but today's rain will push it a bit past.

3 hours ago, WxBlue said:

Hey guys! I might go out to Vermont to photograph the foliage. Are there locations I could check out to get awesome pictures for my northern relatives living in the South now?

I did Killington/Okemo/Mount Snow yesterday. It's mostly past peak with 25-40% leaf drop before today's rainfall. The CRV from Northampton, MA to Rutland, VT exit 6 On 1-91 was nearly peak. Route 2 had lousy fall color change from 8A in Charlemont to 1-91. It was nice looking just to the west of there, but I had enough of driving at that point. Any area's with Oak trees are still 100% green at this point.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I'd suggest Belgrade Lakes, will be at peak (many trails in Kennebec Highlands, also a drive-to at Blueberry Hill off the Watson Pond Road), or perhaps the hills around Winni in your state, or Bridgton in Maine.  My area 10-15 miles north of Belgrade has been at peak this week, but today's rain will push it a bit past.

Plan to hit French Mountain this weekend and get the view down Long Pond.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:38 PM, tamarack said:

I'm going to Vermont either way to see a relative, but thanks for the suggestion anyway :) I'll add these locations to a document so I will try and check it out if I'm still here next year.

Things were getting very colorful yesterday.  Probably approaching 75% and perhaps 3 days away from a stunning peak.  Then today Michael's wind put an end to that.  A huge amount of leaves came down today in gusty winds.  Mostly maples while the oaks are just starting to turn.  Some years the weather cooperates some years not.  

I'm guessing south of my area of Central NH is okay since most trees are just starting to change.  Without major wind over the next week that area will be able to reach a very colorful peak..