Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Foliage 2018

Sugarloaf1989

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Sneaky? It’s always a top day around here. 

Its insane.  I forget just how busy it is.  Town is like Christmas week.  There are cars all over the place, in ditches, hazard lights on, stopped in the middle of 50mph zones, people walking down the middle of the road with cameras.

You'd think no one ever saw a tree before.  All out of state plates, ha.

gsz0Xo3.jpg

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Its insane.  I forget just how busy it is.  Town is like Christmas week.  There are cars all over the place, in ditches, hazard lights on, stopped in the middle of 50mph zones, people walking down the middle of the road with cameras.

You'd think no one ever saw a tree before.  All out of state plates, ha.

gsz0Xo3.jpg

We had at least three cars stop and take pictures while we were golfing today. 

I'm so glad that I live in a place that doesn't get crowded with tourists but I certainly remember that from when I went to Lyndon. 

I went on a retreat today in Sturbridge and took some photos on my way home as took backroads.  The foliage is coming along nicely and probably 1-2 weeks from peak, particularly in the higher elevations.  I wish I had my regular camera and all I had was my phone so the exposures leave a little to be desired but the views are nice.

IMG_20181007_152937976_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181007_154841261.jpg

IMG_20181007_160129043_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181007_161436383_HDRb.jpg

Lol I posted on the other thread but same thing here, it was insane. I thought there was a moose because of the number of cars stopped outside my driveway, but they were just taking pictures of the hills around me. I don't think it gets this crowded even during the holidays here - at least you don't notice it as much because people don't just stop in random places. 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Various foliage photos from the past few week...

QioGccB.jpg

t5icK1u.jpg

chmlT9J.jpg

J24w6OW.jpg

This one I was borrowing a UV filter from a friend...definitely noticed a difference in the vibrancy and saturation of the color with that on the lens but the focus seemed a bit less crisp in those shots used with the UV filter.

zbEuCDO.jpg

36 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I'm so glad that I live in a place that doesn't get crowded with tourists but I certainly remember that from when I went to Lyndon. 

I mean I don't get the tourist hate, it's entertaining to poke fun at but whatever they'll all be gone by noon tomorrow.  The price you pay for living somewhere that people actually pay money to visit in their spare time.  They also make for good economic development so hard to hate them for us, lol.  Tourists are the only reason I can live in the high peaks of the Spine and have the comforts of a more suburban or urban area at the same time, like being able to walk to high quality sushi, Mexican, Italian, multiple breweries, bars, bakeries, etc.  It's definitely a trade off but while we may poke fun, the tourists are just trying to enjoy what we see every day. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Anyone in CT notice how most of the Orange/yellow maples went from green to almost instant brown with only a tinge of orange color? Like almost every single one of them and quickly falling off. Was this caused by the wet summer?

It's not everywhere as I saw many orange/yellow trees yesterday that didn't exhibit that behavior.  It's caused by a fungus so yes, wet weather would contribute to that.

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There’s maybe 5-10% that don’t have it

There's pockets here but not nearly that high.  I drove miles and miles down roads with bright yellow/orange colors and only saw pockets of spotted leaves.  Like I said, it is fungus related so perhaps it's more prevalent down in your neck of the woods or south of here.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Anyone in CT notice how most of the Orange/yellow maples went from green to almost instant brown with only a tinge of orange color? Like almost every single one of them and quickly falling off. Was this caused by the wet summer?

I always find figuring out foliage and why it happens is something that is extremely hard.  Haha, everyone has different ideas.  One I've heard from some environmental guys with the Green Mountain Club on Mount Mansfield is that the reason we are having such vibrant foliage is the dry late summer conditions.  A lot of rain dilutes the sugars in the leaves and since it's been dry, the sugars are really concentrated leading to very bright color.  Sounds good but also sounds like a wives tale.  If that's the case, why are their vibrant colors in Dendrite land and areas that saw a lot of water?  lol.

I find every fall there's a new reason for good color or poor color.  It's almost like seasonal winter forecasting...at some point there's a big focus on what could be a smoking gun as despite XYZ, the winter acted like ABC because maybe we didn't consider the amount of Polar Bear farts would offset the QBO or whatever.

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I always find figuring out foliage and why it happens is something that is extremely hard.  Haha, everyone has different ideas.  One I've heard from some environmental guys with the Green Mountain Club on Mount Mansfield is that the reason we are having such vibrant foliage is the dry late summer conditions.  A lot of rain dilutes the sugars in the leaves and since it's been dry, the sugars are really concentrated leading to very bright color.  Sounds good but also sounds like a wives tale.  If that's the case, why are their vibrant colors in Dendrite land and areas that saw a lot of water?  lol.

I find every fall there's a new reason for good color or poor color.  It's almost like seasonal winter forecasting...at some point there's a big focus on what could be a smoking gun as despite XYZ, the winter acted like ABC because maybe we didn't consider the amount of Polar Bear farts would offset the QBO or whatever.

I have a fun experiment in my front yard. We planted two red maples, one off each corner of the house. We live on a slope, and the ground water tends to drain from the back left of the property across to the center, but will occasionally seep out and run across the bottom of the driveway. Well sure enough the maple in that drainage is a vibrant red this year, while the other is a faded, rusty red. 

I know the warm days, cool nights is good, as well as adequate water, but like you say I think too much or too little is not a good thing.

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Leaf color has been brought up numerous times on the maple boards I belong to and my understanding from research is that the leaf color or brightness has little to do with the sugar content and that there are other factors that lead to brighter or duller colors.  I know that as summer progresses, maples start storing sugar in the roots.  A dry summer can inhibit this process leading to a poor maple season the following spring.  I don't know how that process could be related to the leaf color itself - perhaps Tamarack can explain that...

19 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah Columbus Day weekend is like a real sneaky busy time. Never any vacancy. congrats on the grandchild! Sounds like quite the birth lol.

Thanks.  Both ladies doing fine.  Thins were going slowly until 10 PM, then our daughter had a huge contraction and realized "it's tonight", and a few minutes later, "it's now!!"  S-I-L had already called for help, and the EMT arrived 5 minute before the birth.  Quite the circus, with two ambulances (in case both girls needed serious help) and at least one local cop.  Daughter's memory was a bit fuzzy (suprise!) but she recalls somewhere between 6 and 10 first responders in the room. 

Colors are somewhere in the high/peak range here, and quite nice - bright yellows and some really vibrant reds.  The same unending humidity that probably caused most of my apples to decay on the trees also made for great color?

I don't know how that process could be related to the leaf color itself - perhaps Tamarack can explain that...

Your guess is as good as mine.  However, in my 21 fall leaf seasons here, the only really bad season was 2005 - no reds at all except for that one dependable (though about 10 days behind the other trees) maple on Sand Hill in Augusta.  That was also Maine's wettest year on record.

42 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I don't know how that process could be related to the leaf color itself - perhaps Tamarack can explain that...

Your guess is as good as mine.  However, in my 21 fall leaf seasons here, the only really bad season was 2005 - no reds at all except for that one dependable (though about 10 days behind the other trees) maple on Sand Hill in Augusta.  That was also Maine's wettest year on record.

I should look to see if there there is any correlation between precip the previous year and my average sugar content in the spring.  I'm sure that some place like Proctor in Vermont or Cornell over in NY has done that.  I just didn't think there was a correlation between color and sugar content but perhaps the dilution due to rainfall does yield muted colors.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, hey it's a bed and you can walk to Alchemist.

They had conference rates at the Stoweflake, but they were twice as expensive, and since I'm funding this out of pocket I didn't feel like paying $1000 all in to go to a work related conference. 

And yes, they can roll me out of The Alchemist every night.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

They had conference rates at the Stoweflake, but they were twice as expensive, and since I'm funding this out of pocket I didn't feel like paying $1000 all in to go to a work related conference. 

And yes, they can roll me out of The Alchemist every night.

Too bad you didn't have time for a quick round of golf, I'd invite you while you were here.

A few more shots from the drone today when the fog and drizzle temporarily lifted enough for me to get it to 150-200'. There's still a lot of gorgeous color, but some leaf drop is now beginning to occur. 

As you can see, I have a ton of reds and bright oranges around here from the red maples. The birch and beech trees are contributing to more of the yellows. It has been a very wet summer and early fall period and the red maples have put on a spectacular show. The sugar maples are turning orange and yellow more than red, but I don't have too many of those around the house. They tend to exist more on drier, southern exposures around here.

The Berkshire Valley is still mostly green with some scattered color, and most of that color is somewhat muted. 

43425726_1712894708821878_3478996382470111232_o.jpg

43433805_1712895135488502_5173881543663288320_o.jpg

43573196_1712894172155265_8490748764749824000_o.jpg

43649889_1712894925488523_2924977332504494080_o.jpg

55 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

A few more shots from the drone today when the fog and drizzle temporarily lifted enough for me to get it to 150-200'. There's still a lot of gorgeous color, but some leaf drop is now beginning to occur. 

As you can see, I have a ton of reds and bright oranges around here from the red maples. The birch and beech trees are contributing to more of the yellows. It has been a very wet summer and early fall period and the red maples have put on a spectacular show. The sugar maples are turning orange and yellow more than red, but I don't have too many of those around the house. They tend to exist more on drier, southern exposures around here.

The Berkshire Valley is still mostly green with some scattered color, and most of that color is somewhat muted. 

43425726_1712894708821878_3478996382470111232_o.jpg

43433805_1712895135488502_5173881543663288320_o.jpg

43573196_1712894172155265_8490748764749824000_o.jpg

43649889_1712894925488523_2924977332504494080_o.jpg

Where is this?