Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Foliage 2018

Sugarloaf1989

15 hours ago, eyewall said:

The weather wasn't really there for a truly visually compelling wide shot but I did this quick before departing for NC. This was near North Elba before getting to Lake Placid in the ADK's off 73 on 10.1.2018 (not processed, straight from the drone camera):

Hi, all. I have been perusing your forum since moving to the Tug Hill Plateau this summer. Can't wait for winter to start!

Nice shots of the ADKS.

Similar situation here as to what many of you are reporting. The color show has seemed really slow...but all of a sudden...Poof! The past two days have been quite the change.

• Like 1

Judging by what I can see through the low clouds/mist, looks like a good amount of reds popping down here.  Looking at forecast Sat-Monday for Columbus day weekend, should be a leaf peeper bonanza with weather looking nice and color should be really getting closer to peak or at least really good color by then.

Drove up the Kanc today on my way to Maine; amazing how quickly its changing. It also struck me how much of a West to East gradient there is... It seems like a stronger influence than elevation. Great color (and awful weather) around Bretton Woods and now even in lower area like Franconia and Littleton. Ok color in Franconia Notch (but I never find the notch to have great colors, tends to be yellowish), and then good color again on the Kanc but less and less as you head towards Albany, and almost nothing from Center Conway to Fryeburg. 

Also starting to get those weather days when it's cloudy and drizzly all day here, and perfectly clear past the notch. Left Lincoln in full sunshine, then got into drizzle from Cannon to here 

58 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I mean, it has gone nuclear within 72 hours.  Still a decent amount of green mixed in but the reds and oranges are as fiery as ever.

43067661_10103546250148140_4874304452326

It is looking like a similar vibrance to what I saw in the High Peaks!

10 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Finally you noticed! 

I was noting how much more color there was here in Stafford as I drove from Somers in the valley. 

Well this is the first week that we’ve finally gotten some decent color showing . Before it was mainly stressed stuff . Nice to finally get trees changing. Hopefully a good season ahead 

On 10/2/2018 at 11:55 PM, TugHillMatt said:

Hi, all. I have been perusing your forum since moving to the Tug Hill Plateau this summer. Can't wait for winter to start!

Nice shots of the ADKS.

Similar situation here as to what many of you are reporting. The color show has seemed really slow...but all of a sudden...Poof! The past two days have been quite the change.

You've probably already seen this site, but if not, it's got great cams on the hill:
http://www.northernchateau.com/northernchateau.htm

• Thanks 1

I did the drive up to the NEK today with my son. We normally go to the Killington/Okemo/Mount Snow area, but the foliage is behind schedule in those areas and we wanted to get foliage color with good weather. It's different from the Green Spine with no 3,000 - 4,000' mountains covered in foliage color with the exception of burke.

Burke (Medium).JPG

PFBR (Medium).JPG

Road Foliage (Medium).JPG

Colors should be at peak here, though our trip back from SNJ offered little to see due to messed up plans.  Even so, and with the limited spectrum of auto headlights, we spotted some bright reds on Mile Hill at 2:40 AM.  More on the odd timing:  We'd left family, including our new grandkid (she was in a hurry, had arrived on the dining room floor), after a late lunch, expecting to reach a motel in Sturbridge shortly after 8 PM.  Several traffic jams moved that back to about 9:45, but it would not have made any difference.  No room at the inn, and after countless calls from Sturbridge, MA to Saco, ME, we gave up - next possibility would've been PWM, and we were not about to drive 2.5 hours and then try for lodging less than 90 miles from home.  Holiday weekend, all the places were either full of leaf peepers, or unwilling to rent for just Saturday night - looking for Sat-Sun customers, even at 11 PM Sat night.  At that late hour, why not take half a loaf?  :(