• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Foliage 2018

Sugarloaf1989

After a slow start, we've made some good progress in the past week. As you can see from my drone shots, there are reds and oranges beginning to appear. I'm still optimistic that this will be at least an average fall foliage season, just about 7 to 10 days later than usual. Peak is often about now, but thanks to the warm humid September it will likely be around October 6-8. 

DJI_0006.JPG

• Like 3

It's finally happening up here.  Noticeable changes every day... it seemed more vibrant even yesterday evening than what it was in the morning.  Mountain will be a solid week later than normal though, which is good for the Columbus Day weekend crowds.  Normally they miss all the colors but this year it should be pretty solid.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's finally happening up here.  Noticeable changes every day... it seemed more vibrant even yesterday evening than what it was in the morning.  Mountain will be a solid week later than normal though, which is good for the Columbus Day weekend crowds.  Normally they miss all the colors but this year it should be pretty solid.

As usual, further along around home than it is here in BTV. About to take off for a week in San Diego for a work conference. Should get some nice views as we fly out of BTV

Just got home from a 4 hour round trip through the Whites.  Left from my house and drove up to Lincoln.  Most everything is still green in my area (Newfound Lake).  Plymouth to Lincoln, perhaps 10%.  Drove through the Kanc.  10-25% color through there.  Up through N Conway and through Crawford Notch.  At the highest elevations at very most, 25% to 35% color.  Then down through Franconia Notch.  The most color was in the Bretton Woods area and on Rt 3, north of Franconia Notch,  35% ish.  Foliage still has a long way to go.

Below are 2 pictures.  Highest road elevations in Crawford Notch and Franconia Notch.

Crawford Notch.jpg

Fnotch.jpg

• Like 2

We're pretty disappointed being up here. Seems like we're at least one week or more too early last three or so years for peak foliage

Just got home from a 4 hour round trip through the Whites.  Left from my house and drove up to Lincoln.  Most everything is still green in my area (Newfound Lake).  Plymouth to Lincoln, perhaps 10%.  Drove through the Kanc.  10-25% color through there.  Up through N Conway and through Crawford Notch.  At the highest elevations at very most, 25% to 35% color.  Then down through Franconia Notch.  The most color was in the Bretton Woods area and on Rt 3, north of Franconia Notch,  35% ish.  Foliage still has a long way to go.
Below are 2 pictures.  Highest road elevations in Crawford Notch and Franconia Notch.
629844457_CrawfordNotch.jpg.e1340f8e77b0fa59b0d098c5c0c3c1c4.jpg
Fnotch.thumb.jpg.ec5ae389dcba9d03f0d9862d8d0cf118.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

We're pretty disappointed being up here. Seems like we're at least one week or more too early last three or so years for peak foliage

Peak season has changed everywhere. With the new humid climate all areas are generally 2 weeks later now than they were previously. So yiu should have gone late 2nd week of October. We now won’t peak in SNE from here on out until Halloween 

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

It's definitely not there yet. Normally we'd be right around peak but I would think it needs another week or so. This is from today, looking at the Zealand valley from the top of West Mountain. The Zealand valley is generally know to be the first area in the Whites to change. At least so they say. :)

Columbus Day is pretty early this year, it should work well up here, but I think people in Conway and the lower elevations in general won't be too happy. I'd say in general, disappointment is all relative to expectations. If you're going expecting peak and full color, you won't get that. If you enjoy seeing the first yellows and reds mixed in with the green foliage, you'll enjoy it. I have friends here who are loving it, and I actually prefer the early stages to peak. Something about the contrast between the greens. By peak everything is yellow and red and the  overall feel is amazing but different. 

FF40E5F7-EE01-4ADC-8878-13D112859333.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/29/2018 at 6:19 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Peak season has changed everywhere. With the new humid climate all areas are generally 2 weeks later now than they were previously. So yiu should have gone late 2nd week of October. We now won’t peak in SNE from here on out until Halloween 

Will you stop with the absurdities?  It's not like things just flipped and with will never be the same again.  Last year we were two weeks early at the beginning of September then things changed.  Yes things are late this year but that does not mean that it will be exactly like this every year.

A couple shots from the ski resort.  From what I can tell we are at least a week behind.

Talked with some college students from Lyndon State that were going on the zipline and they said the mountain was much further along than anything they'd seen in the Northeast Kingdom on their drive over.

RswkFJa.jpg

656KHHs.jpg

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

A couple shots from the ski resort.  From what I can tell we are at least a week behind.

Talked with some college students from Lyndon State that were going on the zipline and they said the mountain was much further along than anything they'd seen in the Northeast Kingdom on their drive over.

RswkFJa.jpg

656KHHs.jpg

I’d say a week is a good estimate. I got married September 29, 2001, so I typically note the foliage around this time. I don’t recall a drastic difference. 

The colors are really blossoming here now, greater than 50% color with peak fast approaching. It's like someone flipped a switch and boom. Interestingly, leaf out in May was similar in that it happened virtually overnight.

I think the high density and near monoculture of red and sugar maples has a lot to do with the "light switch" phenomenon. The birches also seem to turn around the same time, although they're mostly yellow. The valleys have more species diversity, especially with regards to the oaks and introduced species like Norway maple, resulting in a slower turn and multiple peaks instead of one primary one like here. 

Lots of reds and oranges coming out, which is a nice surprise since I was concerned septoria leaf fungus/tar spot would cause the sugar/red maples to drop without turning much color. However, the fungus must not be bad enough to be much of a detriment.

It's still pretty much all green once you get a few miles south as even Mt. Greylock is still mostly green. 

DJI_0012.JPG

DJI_0015.JPG

I am on the road home but detoured over to the high peaks region of the adks and wow what a change in just a few days. High color to hear peak near North Elba by Lake Placid. I will have a clip later on from a rainy drone flight

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

I am on the road home but detoured over to the high peaks region of the adks and wow what a change in just a few days. High color to hear peak near North Elba by Lake Placid. I will have a clip later on from a rainy drone flight

Can't wait to see it. Gorgeous area, and low cloud days are usually the best for colors.

Hiked Washington Saturday. First time. Summitted in 3 hrs. Coming down was a b**ch. Stayed at the Mount Washington resort. Holy sh1t its nice. Went on a small hike up behind the resort and it looks like a tornado hit in the hills. Definitely looked more substantial than logging f1816edda52eda8355b3b03e324007cb.jpg3e230981ea0553f0ffbf1219ced4bcf1.jpg1088b87f4f4e7eb403a25b97bbdeda33.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The weather wasn't really there for a truly visually compelling wide shot but I did this quick before departing for NC. This was near North Elba before getting to Lake Placid in the ADK's off 73 on 10.1.2018 (not processed, straight from the drone camera):

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eyewall said:

The weather wasn't really there for a truly visually compelling wide shot but I did this quick before departing for NC. This was near North Elba before getting to Lake Placid in the ADK's off 73 on 10.1.2018 (not processed, straight from the drone camera):

Intense color. Thanks for giving those of us in the tropics some vicarious enjoyment!

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Switch flipped the last 2 days here too. The cold, cloudy, rainy days help. 

Same here.  Almost no color a couple of days ago and then it seems the whole canopy wants to go at the same time.  No big windy fropa's or storms upcoming which will help too.  

5 hours ago, uncletim said:

Intense color. Thanks for giving those of us in the tropics some vicarious enjoyment!

No problem! I am just happy I got to see this before having to go back to NC. If this is any indication, it could become real vibrant in other areas changing quickly now!

11 hours ago, eyewall said:

That's a pretty insane patch of color. I've been thinking on heading up to Lake Placid next Tuesday for a couple days of photography... think it'll be too far past peak to be worth the trouble?