Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Banter

George BM

10 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I have so many great memories (and bad ones, like Clint Longley) of the Skins, their games, and their players, but whatever mystique they had to me has faded over the years. There are a lot of reasons that contribute to that, but a big one for me is that they lost something in the move from D.C. and RFK stadium to Landover and that concrete pit that they play in now. I remember as a kid going to a couple of games at RFK stadium with my Grandfather who had season tickets until his death in '71, and then I worked as a beer vendor for the last seven seasons there, and nothing compared to the atmosphere and fans of RFK. I was there for the seat cushion game and the rout of the Lions on their run to the Super Bowl, but even in the lean years, there was just something unique about RFK.  I worked exactly one game at the new stadium and didn't go back because it was totally different and just felt off. I'm surprised that they've managed to have the support of the fans for as long as they have, but today, after over 50 years, they didn't sell out the stadium. And it wasn't even close.

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2018/09/skins-sellout-streak-ends-boos-accompany-21-9-loss-to-indy/slide/1/

I wonder if the not-selling-the-the-stadium would have happened earlier if they hadn't spent the past bunch of seasons removing thousands of seats.

Besides the questionable product on the field, the lousy stadium experience, the traffic, and the money you'll have to shell out to witness it in person, I also lay blame at the feet of the number of commercials and how the time gets spent during TV commercial breaks.  Granted, I never saw the Redskins at RFK but now the fans are drowned out by loud music and ads being shown on the jumbotrons.  Helps kill the atmosphere.  Also, I'll add that the behavior of some, not all, people in the stands will help keep families away. 

So it's no wonder people will prefer to stay home in front of their big TVs, where they can change the channel or go to the fridge for a beer during commercials, or if things are going bad just turn off the TV.  Cheaper, less hassle.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

As a lifelong Vikings fan, I can speak from experience.  Don't do it.  Save yourself.  Its too late for me.  :weep:

yeah, i mean I've already invested a couple decades into being a DC football fan, no sense in walking away now. 

On 9/16/2018 at 4:48 PM, MN Transplant said:

Vikes go to Lambeau, get a punt blocked for a TD, miss 3 FGs and tie.  I don’t know how to feel.  Thanks for Kirk, Washington.  He was spectacular.

As a life long skins fan it was a huge mistake for the skins to not resign cousins. Not that he really wanted to stay. Snyder repeatedly disrespected him and made it tough for cousins to want to be here. Cousins is a class act and I am pulling for him in Minnesota. I hope he wins the super bowl in Minnesota.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic