Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September Discobs Thread

George BM

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Looked at the CoCoRahs data for VA and MD this morning.  The top stations are now going over 60" on the year.  50"+ is pretty common too.

I'm at 52.58".

Amazing how our totals are nearly identical. I'm at 53.07. And reviewing and remembering the spread on how we got the rain was completely different. I received 1.95 from Flo.

3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

With nocturnal elevated convection, there is a stable layer at the surface with an unstable layer above.  What can happen in these situations is that the thunder can be "ducted" and can be heard at longer distances.

That’s what was happening. Flash, then count to around 20, then house shaking thunder that usually only happens when elapsed time is 1-4 seconds, not 20.

great explanation-Thanks 

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Thanks - I bookmarked that site.  I'm not sure how accurate it is though.  That site has me at close to 2" in the last 24 hours through noon today, but my rain gauge has me at nearly 4" through noon today, including over 1" from today's late-morning downpour.  Today's rain put me over 9" for the month. 

Good job by the Euro on picking up on the stripe of heavy rainfall.  It didn't get the details right, but none of the other globals saw something like this (though the Ukie was close).

mroyclC.png

K1a9A8w.png

6 minutes ago, cae said:

Thanks - I bookmarked that site.  I'm not sure how accurate it is though.  That site has me at close to 2" in the last 24 hours through noon today, but my rain guage has me at nearly 4" through noon today, including over 1" from today's late-morning downpour.  Today's rain put me over 9" for the month. 

Good job by the Euro on picking up on the stripe of heavy rainfall.  It didn't get the details right, but none of the other globals saw something like this (though the Ukie was close).

mroyclC.png

K1a9A8w.png

I feel like radar estimates often underdo totals, especially when it comes to really heavy rainfall.

24 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Given the rainfall rates and totals overnight, I was surprised there wasn't a lot more flash flooding around the area. Seems like very few problems, if any.

I think the MARC Camden Line was closed all day due to high water, but I agree with you.  Though I didn't see or hear any of it. It was the best night of sleep I've had in a long time...

2 hours ago, Tenman Johnson said:

Tremendous overpwrformer for a strip from Richmond to northeast MD. One of the biggest t&l downpours ever for midnight into early morning hours 4.7” total here from 11pm to 3 am.

Agreed.  First time T&L woke me up in a long time here in SW DC.  Radar Scope had a few strikes right on top of me around 1230 am

6 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Looked at the CoCoRahs data for VA and MD this morning.  The top stations are now going over 60" on the year.  50"+ is pretty common too.

I'm at 52.58".

56.44 IMBY per my Davis

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Looking forward to a day where I step out of the car or house and my glasses don't immediately fog over due to the humidity.

so tomorrow? 

Got a really dumping of rain around the lunch hour here. I missed it as I was at  work. Looked like your basic yellow cell on radar, but my rain gauge said it dumped .80 or so.  Also, the city drain is loudly gurgling water so I know it was a lot. Or, it's probably saturated rain that has to go into the Cheasapeake.

Total over this 2 day period is 2.36".

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Early yesterday morning I swore I'd miss the best stuff to my west and 

I missed it to my east lol

It has been weird here every month this summer. Deluges followed by 2+ week dry periods. My soil is too well drained + big hardwoods all around and it gets dry real quick. Been hit and miss for sure, but still around 44" for the year. September so far is 4.1", but most of that fell in a 48 hour period. It is what it is. At least no mosquitoes! Looking forward to the lower dews and 'coolish' air for a few days though.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic