Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discobs Thread

George BM

17 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Co-sign on the two rounds of storms for Baltimore - first cluster at 11 pm and then a hellacious storm around 2:30 am. That one must have been a tremendous lightning show. 

3.6" for the inner harbor in a four hour period overnight. If anything happened here, I slept right through it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Co-sign on the two rounds of storms for Baltimore - first cluster at 11 pm and then a hellacious storm around 2:30 am. That one must have been a tremendous lightning show. 

Yep, think I woke up around 11 or 11:30 for round one and never really got to bed before the real show started around 2 or so. Had a lot of loud, rolling thunder even when lightning was pretty far away, and several very close strikes. And obviously lots of heavy rain. Not sure how much we got, but had to be at least a couple inches, plus additional rain around 5 this morning. I think the two biggest lightning and thunder storms for this summer for me have come within the past couple of weeks.

With last night's thunderstorms, 2018 became the 24th year on record during which Baltimore received 50" or more precipitation during a year. Through 6 am, Baltimore has received 50.77" of precipitation. 2018 now ranks as the 22nd wettest year on record. The most annual precipitation is 62.66", which was set in 2003. That figure may be reachable this year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Yes, please.

image.png.7ca4c35a33bc3f684c78743d8d0aa7f3.png

Crazy + PNA forecasts being forecasted in the longterm, and coinciding with a pretty drastic decline in the SOI. Expect cooler to win out finally . 

One thing that caught my eye when looking at the PNA is the always persistent + NAO , I think give or take a day, the last time the NAO was negative more than two days was in early June.

Loooking back at some recent summers , there had at least been some intervals of a negative NAO , not this summer, what  if anything that means for the winter I have no idea .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

You are a sound sleeper maybe, or there was a tremendous cutoff - torrential rains and lightning and booming thunder in the falls rd and Roland ave corridor for sure.

Nah, he's just a sound sleeper...lol It must've been all over the city (I live in the area not far from Morgan State and my house was rockin' and rollin'!)

8 hours ago, coolio said:

1.02" from Florence remnants thus far.  (although a mini train moving up from the SW)

Also, on of the TV mets had the Euro calling for a lot of action for our area today vs. the GFS that had all the action staying in the mountains to the W.  Looks like the Euro won.

Last night's T&L and rain show gave me roughly .5 inch.  Rain gauge said 1.52 this am. 

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

With nocturnal elevated convection, there is a stable layer at the surface with an unstable layer above.  What can happen in these situations is that the thunder can be "ducted" and can be heard at longer distances.

Ahh, thanks. Always looking to learn more. Definitely seemed like that was the case last night.

I have a question on the daily readings. The CWG reported rainfall of 1.26 inches at Reagan yesterday. If I look at the hour by hour, I get 0.58 by the 11:52 PM reading. The 12:52 AM reading has an additional 0.68 bringing the total to 1.26 as reported. Is this because the additional 0.68 fell in the eight minutes between 11:52 and midnight or possibly because you count the 12:52 readings as the prior day? Or is the 12:52 counted only during DST?   It would seem this would also apply to max and min temperatures for each day.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic