Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

42 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Had upper 20s last evening under partly cloudy skies and still with 5-10 mph breeze.  Rose into low 30s by dawn, thanks to the cloud deck - would've made a run at sub-20 if it had been clear.  Another chance Sunday night.  We've had October teens in 11 of 20 years, though only twice prior to 10/20.

Same here basically, I had 24°F at the homestead late last night before temps moderated in the overnight period.

27 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Same here basically, I had 24°F at the homestead late last night before temps moderated in the overnight period.

We had 28F at 8pm but it was 38F by 2am, lol.  Bottomed out real early just after sunset then was rising by 9-10pm.

Still snow in the shade at the base of the ski resort at midday today.  It's like 45F but the shade this time of year apparently is an ice box.

Much milder day today after the hard freeze. 22° F yesterday morning, 27° last night, which killed the ragweed and Japanese knotweed. We didn't radiate at all last night as it was cloudy and breezy. There was about 1/2" of ice on the puddles and the top layer of mud was completely frozen. Wednesday's dusting didn't completely melt in the shade until this morning.

We are 90-95% leaf drop now and most of what remains is the understory with the exception of the tamaracks and aspens. 

IMG_0929.JPG

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Thankful for the fire tower otherwise not much view.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That tower, with 3 more lifts plus cab, used to be in New Gloucester.  We took it down about 20 years ago, shipped it to Oquossoc, and had the obs platform built atop the 4 lower lifts.   I think the cab may have ended up in Greenville.  After the AT and Dodge Point (in Newcastle - midcoast), Bald is probably our most heavily used trail. 

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Excellent afternoon for a hike in the neighborhood with the four-legged companion. 

It's crazy how mild it felt after the cold shot, and with full sunshine it was awesome to be outside. 

z4f0wKN.jpg

Where is that exactly?   Definitely would of be living up there at least part of the time...

• Like 1