Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

As impressive as this may be for some ... to think, this air mass actually moderated a little in the last two days leading (models) ...taking some edge off the extremeness.  

The fact that temperatures have only maxed out at 32F so far at 1,500ft is pretty crazy for October 18th.  It may be decent elevation but to have that sort of higher inhabited terrain struggle to hit freezing in mid-October is nuts.

How often does 1" of snow fall overnight and then last for an entire day with no melting in mid-October?  I think that's the most impressive aspect to me.  No melting of snow daytime on October 18th.

This is right now in the base village.

IMG_0930.JPG.68b17642ed3047f3a81c44f43a74c288.JPG

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The fact that temperatures have only maxed out at 32F so far at 1,500ft is pretty crazy for October 18th.  It may be decent elevation but to have that sort of higher inhabited terrain struggle to hit freezing in mid-October is nuts.

How often does 1" of snow fall overnight and then last for an entire day with no melting in mid-October?  I think that's the most impressive aspect to me.  No melting of snow daytime on October 18th.

IMG_0930.JPG.68b17642ed3047f3a81c44f43a74c288.JPG

Is it cloudy there?

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Killington been making snow all day (down to 2500'). I bet it's not too often can they do that in October.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

As impressive as this may be for some ... to think, this air mass actually moderated a little in the last two days leading (models) ...taking some edge off the extremeness.  

Agreed. I had been expecting mid to upper 20s here this morning with a sub 40 high.   Off by around 3-5F

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Is it cloudy there?

It was but sun came out this afternoon. 

But this time of year Mansfield's eastern wall and ridgeline block most afternoon direct sunlight.  Sky can be blue but shadows come quick with a wall of rock there to the SW.

Also add in that the cloud can hang over the ridgeline which may not be cloudy per se in lower elevations (blue sky overhead) but those ridge clouds block sunlight into the east slope.  A variety of reasons but presence of clouds over the ridge definitely can have effects downwind in the afternoon as they block the sun even if they aren't overhead.  

Same in the summer, a very hot day can be knocked down a peg or two even at MVL if there's towering Cu going off over Mansfield, it casts a shadow down east and can lead to temps maxing out earlier.  One summer it seemed like that stopped MVL from hitting 90F a couple times...quick to 85F and then Tcu over the Spine blocks the sun and the temps rot at 86-88F when if those clouds aren't over Mansfield it's probably 90F.

Man what a day for mid-October.  North facing roofs and other sheltered spots still have a coating of snow this evening, even down here in the valley.  First sub-40F high temperature of the season here with 38F.

Look how chilly these 7-8pm temps are already.  Bunch of spots already below freezing in CNE/NNE.

2nRVLQ2.jpg