Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Their average for the summer is 3 too. Kind of funny how hey aren't going to be all that off their average...might be right on it. The soupy air masses with the high mins have been the defining feature though. 

Absolutely.  Average maxima were AN but nothing extraordinary, while the minima, and especially dews, were crushing records.  A short term example is last month at my place.  Average high was 9th warmest of 21 while average low was warmest of the bunch.  August 1-14, 1988 is the most intense TD-fest I can recall and June-July 2013 might have featured the longest continuous high-dew stretch, but late June thru this week has by far the most near/at/over 70 dews.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Absolutely.  Average maxima were AN but nothing extraordinary, while the minima, and especially dews, were crushing records.  A short term example is last month at my place.  Average high was 9th warmest of 21 while average low was warmest of the bunch.  August 1-14, 1988 is the most intense TD-fest I can recall and June-July 2013 might have featured the longest continuous high-dew stretch, but late June thru this week has by far the most near/at/over 70 dews.

I couldn't agree more.  While July 2013 would take the cake for continuous high dp's, it was "only" a month whereas this year it's been 2+ months with week long bouts of high dp's.  We've had some hot weather but overall it has not been that hot, save for the minimum temps cause by the high dp's.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Hey Freak-we’re already planning our next VT sojourn.  Probably head to Stowe mid October for a long weekend.   Gonna sample the 4 seasons where seasons really ARE in season.   Give me some recommendations for lodging.  TYIA.

If you're looking for foliage, don't go after Columbus Day, in fact, many years we are past peak up on Columbus Day

12 minutes ago, mreaves said:

If you're looking for foliage, don't go after Columbus Day, in fact, many years we are past peak up on Columbus Day

Not going for foliage.   You can get great foliage within a half hour of where I’m at now.  Probably will go 1-2 weeks post Columbus Day.   Going mainly to get to know the town and surrounding areas better.

52 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Not going for foliage.   You can get great foliage within a half hour of where I’m at now.  Probably will go 1-2 weeks post Columbus Day.   Going mainly to get to know the town and surrounding areas better.

Ahh, NNE's lesser know 6th season, stick season.  https://jacksonhouse.com/2016/11/01/ode-stick-season/

Stick Season.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

So if I go back to May that makes 30 days now of 90F+.  There is also 3 days of missing data at the end of June when, I believe, Wunderground changed their page/formatting.

May - 2 days

June - 1 day

July - 10 days

August - 15 days

September - 2 days

Up until the last few days Wunderground was bringing up Lawrence for my area  as the reporting site but the last 2 days it is bringing up Hanscom and Boire NH. Seems odd.

34 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Up until the last few days Wunderground was bringing up Lawrence for my area  as the reporting site but the last 2 days it is bringing up Hanscom and Boire NH. Seems odd.

Wunderground has turned into a dumpster fire since being eaten by TWC - slow, wonky, missing data/maps.  Hate seeing a good friend go bad.

'fella:  I wonder if mid-late October might offer some NVT deals, as it's between leaf-peeper and ski seasons, with just some partridge or deer hunters (archery only for deer in Oct?) for lodging competition.

And stick season is at its best when there's a strong proportion of white birch. Only the addition of some patches of spruce on that hillside would improve the pic.

34 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Just now, tamarack said:

Wunderground has turned into a dumpster fire since being eaten by TWC - slow, wonky, missing data/maps.  Hate seeing a good friend go bad.

'fella:  I wonder if mid-late October might offer some NVT deals, as it's between leaf-peeper and ski seasons, with just some partridge or deer hunters (archery only for deer in Oct?) for lodging competition.

And stick season is at its best when there's a strong proportion of white birch. Only the addition of some patches of spruce on that hillside would improve the pic.

If you try and search for ASOS sites, you won't find them.  They seem to only have PWS on there now that you can find.  I do have the old link to KTAN though that still works so I can find archived data if I need to.

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Day 30 of over 90 BDL. Tack on two more this week. And now models say a few possible next week 

I'd pump the brakes on "a few." BDL has only hit 90+ a few times post-9/11 twice in its entire history (1914, 1915). Even just getting a couple puts you at a less than 1-in-10 chance.

Today finally felt like a bit of relief.  It was warmer and more humid inside...around midday it felt so much drier and more pleasant outside rather than inside.

I saw dews had dipped into the 50s this afternoon (low Td of 53F) as the air mixed out in the valleys between the high ridge lines. 

61/59 right now...very pleasant outside.  Have the fans blowing that cool air inside and it is like natural air conditioning.

Stations in the NEK of VT like Newport, Island Pond and Gallup Mills are down in the 50s.