Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha nice.  I think it's more like 125" ;).

Where are you hiking?  Busy day in the mountains.  We have two dislocated shoulders up on the mountain for seperate hiking falls right now.  Watch your step!

We just stumbled onto this trial so we’re hiking up to sunset rock and a bit beyond before we head back.   What’s not to love?

Are those sirens we just heard heading to the mountains to rescue the hikers?

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

Looking west and seeing a bunch of towns on the upslope tells me 15 miles out of town would bring 150+.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah, just look at JSpin's totals.  

Places like Underhill and Jericho can get 200"+ like JSpin in the good winters.  

Places like where it snows 25 out of 30 days in a winter month at times.

From the CoCoRaHS water year summary reports that are available (2010 to present) I did a quick check on Underhill 4.4 NNE (14 miles northeast of the BTV airport) and got 144.1” for the annual snowfall average.  I did leave out the 2016 data, since it was so aberrant it should easily qualify for outlier status, and would dramatically affect such a small data set.

Running the same average for our site, I got 156.8”, which is actually quite representative of the longer-term average I have in my data, so that stretch could be a decent representation.  So, the average out here in our spot near the spine might be a touch higher than that specific Underhill site.

The Underhill 4.4 NNE site is only at an elevation of 936’ though, so I have to imagine that houses in the 1,000’ – to 1,500’ range are easily 150”+.

It seems like those west slope locations can be a bit more feast or famine in terms of yearly snowfall due to their dependence on west side upslope snow, but in a year with good upslope they can easily go big and hit 200”+ like PF says.  For example in the 2010-2011 season, Underhill 4.4 NNE saw 223.0” of snow vs only 197.0” here at our site.

And indeed the 25 out of 30 days with snowfall in a month isn’t that outrageous.  The average number of days here with snowfall is close to 100 per season, so there are certainly going to be opportunities for stretches like that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

MPM, try looking in Paxton. Best snow spot for towns adjacent to ORH. You said you were looking west side anyway and Paxton is right up the road from Tatnuck Square. 

If you are insisting on staying within the city limits, then the 3 best spots for snow are def gonna be airport hill, Moreland hill, and winter hill. 

Thanks, Will.  If we're outside the city, I'm going to push for further out towards Petersham.  That said, me pushing and actually winning are two different things as my wife will likely look towards Grafton/Westborough where she's from.  Also, where is the 'weenie ridge' you speak of in Princeton?  That's not out of the question.

Our earlier house in Worcester was on Moreland.  We love the architecture of the houses on the streets on/near/between Salisbury and Pleasant.  My guess is 'house' will win out over snow total in our deliberations.

26 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks, Will.  If we're outside the city, I'm going to push for further out towards Petersham.  That said, me pushing and actually winning are two different things as my wife will likely look towards Grafton/Westborough where she's from.  Also, where is the 'weenie ridge' you speak of in Princeton?  That's not out of the question.

Our earlier house in Worcester was on Moreland.  We love the architecture of the houses on the streets on/near/between Salisbury and Pleasant.  My guess is 'house' will win out over snow total in our deliberations.

I’ll let Will clarify that area, but I think Petersham actually averages less then areas to be easy being lower el.

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’ll let Will clarify that area, but I think Petersham actually averages less then areas to be easy being lower el.

Im seeing Petersham coming in at 1080 versus Paxton’s 1158’.  I’m not sure that in of itself makes much of an impact.  I like it because it’s not as crowded as Paxton—truly tranquil with beautiful homes.  

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Weenie Ridge is Mountain Road that goes from the entrance to Wachusett Mountain State Park to Princeton center.   Some sweet houses on there

16 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

MPM looking hard for qpf, what a weenie.

72/71. You know it’s going to be an ugly dewy day when the windows in the house are fogged up at 6am. 

Truth told--there are a lot of opinions being offered without my even asking.  I think it's likely on any of our minds when relocating.  :)

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

40 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Im seeing Petersham coming in at 1080 versus Paxton’s 1158’.  I’m not sure that in of itself makes much of an impact.  I like it because it’s not as crowded as Paxton—truly tranquil with beautiful homes.  

Petersham is gorgeous with stately old houses on rolling farmland and orchards.  I have noticed great snow retention there over the years.  Probably similar snow average to Dave in Hubbardston. 

Side note, Petersham Country Store has amazing food! 

44 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Yeah I think there are defintely high spots, but I think the bigger snows when you have good erly flow happen to the east. However I’m sure it’s only a matter of a few to several inch difference if that.

43 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Weenie Ridge is Mountain Road that goes from the entrance to Wachusett Mountain State Park to Princeton center.   Some sweet houses on there

Just looked, there's only one house on the market at this point.

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It was #1 on my list when we were buying last year. Unfortunately, limited choices in swct. 

LOL.  At least you made it to Litchfield County.  While of course it's not Norfolk or Salisbury, it is the the CT county for winter fun and probably the best spot of any CT posters.

5 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Just looked, there's only one house on the market at this point.

LOL.  At least you made it to Litchfield County.  While of course it's not Norfolk or Salisbury, it is the the CT county for winter fun and probably the best spot of any CT posters.

You obviously need to take Will house hunting with you, instead of the wifey.

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Paxton up through Princeton is more orographically enhanced than petersham which is on the west slope out toward Quabbin. Don't get me wrong, Petersham does just fine...esp those high spots around 1100 feet...but probably not quite as well as the spine to the east side. 

If you want fairly secluded but still basically jackpot, then I'd recommend Ashburnham down toward Westminster and Princeton (west side up over 1000 feet) That axis does very well...just don't pay attention to whinminster's posts, lol. 

Grafton/westborough are going to really start getting noticeable for loss of snow retention versus all these other spots we mention....they still do well but they will not hold the snow nearly as well as north/west side of ORH and up through all those other towns.