Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

7 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Impressive rain.

The Blue Hill records go back to the late 1800s, the oldest in the country. After today’s rain, they will record 2018 as the wettest meteorological fall ever for the Boston area. This is the period between Sept. 1 and Nov. 30.

How does "Blue Hill" mean "the Boston area"? 

20 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Definitely a small acorn drop here this year.  Like, stunningly so compared to the previous several years.   Not sure what governs it.   Plenty of fat squirrels though.

We drip.  Snowpack taking a beating which I’m fine with. 

Not sure whether anyone really has a handle on this, though obviously tree vigor is important.  Acorns from the red oak group (red, black, scarlett, pin, etc) take two growing seasons to mature, so the monster crop of 2017 began with flowering/fertilizing in spring, 2016, which was seasonably mild but dry.  Whether that wx was a factor, or whether the trees had built up energy storage during small-crop years and were due, is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

Mowing and mulching the leaves has revealed just how massive this year's acorn drop is in our neighborhood.  I suspected it was large, but not this large.  There are spots where there are so many acorns that it is like walking on a floor of ball bearings.  Now the squirrels have taken to shelling the acorns and leaving half eaten nuts all over the yard.  Not sure what that is about, but that is a new one for me.  Ten years in this house, and this is by far the biggest acorn season ever.  However, I have absolutely no idea what it means for the upcoming winter except that we will have fat, well fed squirrels.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I miss Montpelier,  have not driven up there in several years and lived there off and on in the mid90s.

Refresh my memory, is it a bit of a snow hole compared to surrounding areas?  That seems to be my recollection.

Only due to elevation, I believe. It’s a pretty defined hill/valley situation so you go up in any direction. 

Not to beat a dead horse. But I am still mad at the 15 inch snowfall report from the blizzard if 1996 while Fairfield, Norwalk Darien and Greenwich all reported 27.

Take a look at the observations from BDR in the attached link. No way in he'll that's only 15.

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/1996/07-Jan-96-RegionalSurfaceObservations.html

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

In all seriousness, Boston is going to have a massive * this season. They have observing issues.

Yeah and all of it is going to go into the official record too down at NCDC and they'll pretend its normal. Meanwhile, we can't reconstructed ORH data into their system with plenty of supporting of evidence (including PNS totals from ORH airport itself).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

4th greatest November snow total in Central Park's 150-year records, squeaking by #5 but way back of 1-3.  NYC's top 10 years:

1898  19.0"
1882  14.0"
1938  12.8"
2018   6.4"
1892   6.3"
1896   5.0"
1989   4.7"
2012   4.7"
1945   3.7"
1872   3.5"

Kinda funny that I had a storm in October that singlehandedly beat all of those Novembers. :P