• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

We tend to burn wood from whenever we get home until dawn on weekdays and then all day weekends if we're here.  During real cold snaps I try to keep it going all day.  My goal is usually to use less than one tank of oil from Dec - March.  I generally get by on 2.5 cords a winter with one in reserve. 

We were house poor when we got the wood stove so we couldn't afford a modern but we lucked out and got an almost unused 1977 Vermont Castings for $400.  The thing is a beast an a bit oversized for our 1400' sq/ft but it heats the house easily, even when it is below zero out.  When we can afford it I would like to modernize to something a little more efficient and cleaner.  Also have a small Jotul in the basement for when power goes out or if I'm working down there but that only gets lit about 10x a winter. 

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Despite no acorns this fall.. the squirrels are fatter than I’ve ever seen them. I’m sure others have noticed that. Big big winter with extended pack is coming 

It must work like hickory trees. A bumper crop one year and then hardly any the next.

3 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Bumper crop of ‘corns this year.  Bumper crop of roadkill too

Definitely a small acorn drop here this year.  Like, stunningly so compared to the previous several years.   Not sure what governs it.   Plenty of fat squirrels though.

We drip.  Snowpack taking a beating which I’m fine with. 

Man, the radar off NJ last night was plain awesome. It reminded me a bit of Jan 12, 2011 with the explosively developing shield and tight slot. I'm really liking all these well developed, juiced systems we've been getting the last few months. They're giving me some good vibrations for this winter. Incidentally, DT mentioned something in his seasonal outlook about soil moisture correlating to storm track. Anyone have any thoughts on the merit of that idea? Would only seem to be another good harbinger if it isn't voodoo.

4 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Man, the radar off NJ last night was plain awesome. It reminded me a bit of Jan 12, 2011 with the explosively developing shield and tight slot. I'm really liking all these well developed, juiced systems we've been getting the last few months. They're giving me some good vibrations for this winter. Incidentally, DT mentioned something in his seasonal outlook about soil moisture correlating to storm track. Anyone have any thoughts on the merit of that idea? Would only seem to be another good harbinger if it isn't voodoo.

It really was spectacular