Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

There has been science chatter about a global temp changing Icelandic eruption next decade.  Hopefully Jerry and I are alive to see it snow in June

Almost pulled it off here in 2013. 5/25!

I'm not sure if I'd rather say I saw 0.4" of snow in late May or any flakes of any kind in June.

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Still same clothing lines 

That’s good to know.  Had to get our son a larger ski coat since he is now bigger than me. Tried a couple of stores near us then on a whim went into a Bob’s.  They had a brand I never heard of...Karrimor, from England.  Googled them, they were big back in the day but underwent a buyout by that company.  We also saw EMS branded merch, but not what we needed. Saw they were owned by the same company.

i wore an EMS ski jacket for years.  Held up and was warm, but it really faded, and I sort of...grew

14 hours ago, dendrite said:

Good stuff. Probably a little pricey for my needs, but I tend to go overboard on some things. I’d probably be picking up chicken poop and dealing with minor coop/run issues this time of year so I’d be concerned of ruining a nice pair of gloves or mitts that quickly.

Pop over to BJ’s and pick up a 3 pack of waterproof and warm gloves for $19.99. Saw them today while I wa Xmas shopping. Though of JSpin’s response and wondered how they would stack up. 

My moms natural gas bill was high this month. I looked into seeing why and checked the EIA natural gas chart for CT. Natural gas prices have doubled in price this year! Meanwhile heating oil is down to $2.38 a gallon on the New Haven area. Going to be an expensive winter for those with gas.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/hist/n3010ct3m.htm

@dendrite

Looks like we're going to make an attempt to estimate CON's data for the outage based on area ASOS/AWOS and river gauges. Something like 5 (ties record), 17 or 16, and 4. We'll see what the bean counters say (probably no).

Based on a decade of data, on radiational cooling nights CON is typically a degree colder than the river gauge at Pembroke. They got down to 6, which would make CON 5. I hate to estimate a tied record, but it supports it.

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

@dendrite

Looks like we're going to make an attempt to estimate CON's data for the outage based on area ASOS/AWOS and river gauges. Something like 5 (ties record), 17 or 16, and 4. We'll see what the bean counters say (probably no).

Based on a decade of data, on radiational cooling nights CON is typically a degree colder than the river gauge at Pembroke. They got down to 6, which would make CON 5. I hate to estimate a tied record, but it supports it.

Nice. Hey, all you can do is try. I agree about estimating records, but none of it is perfect anyway. You have records in there from early obs day with only a few measurements per day, max/min mercury thermometers in stevenson screens, and now you have digital probes in fan aspirated shields with 5 minute averaging. Plus you just found errors in the data due to transposing. So none of it is perfect, but you do the best you can do. If the estimate shows a probably tied record, so be it.

You may need to go all the way to the top with Trump. He would love to include record cold data.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Nice. Hey, all you can do is try. I agree about estimating records, but none of it is perfect anyway. You have records in there from early obs day with only a few measurements per day, max/min mercury thermometers in stevenson screens, and now you have digital probes in fan aspirated shields with 5 minute averaging. Plus you just found errors in the data due to transposing. So none of it is perfect, but you do the best you can do. If the estimate shows a probably tied record, so be it.

You may need to go all the way to the top with Trump. He would love to include record cold data.

I mean I feel better about estimating a tied record rather than a broken one. But local Wunderground stations all support 4-5 degrees, so 5 is probably safe. I also feel comfortable it was a record low max for the day and nowhere near the record low max for the month.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean I feel better about estimating a tied record rather than a broken one. But local Wunderground stations all support 4-5 degrees, so 5 is probably safe. I also feel comfortable it was a record low max for the day and nowhere near the record low max for the month.

I had 11.2F at midnight on the 21st, 13.4F/2.6F on the 22nd, and 3.3F on the 23rd. With good mixing I'm usually about 3-4F cooler during the day on my Davis than CON and 2-3F cooler at night. So that definitely puts you in the 16-17F/4-5F ball park for Thanksgiving. Friday was a little trickier with the lighter winds. If CON is stuck at >5kt I can sometimes get close enough to calm here for a little extra radiational cooling. If they go dead calm for any period they will easily jump colder than me. If they're calm all night with the beginning of return flow, fuhgettaboutit, they'll be colder.

The CON 13F from the morning of the 21st looks safe given my low at midnight and the fact they were still 16F at 4Z before the outage. My morning low on the 21st was only 18F so I easily beat that with the CAA at midnight. Anyway, thanks for the attempt.

Our gas bill for end of October up until a few days ago was just about 120$... we use the fireplace when we are home and in the living room, but otherwise... it’s gas heat.

Unfortunately there is only one control for the whole condo, so we are heating a lot of space we aren’t using.

Im a little concerned that when it gets real cold our bill may get close to 200$+.

told the fiancé heats going down a couple notches after that bill, get the blankets ready lol

Does anyone understand how to interpret TNI (Trans-Nino Index) and use it to classify an ENSO event as west-based or east-based? I read some papers on it, but I am still a bit confused. I understand that the TNI index takes the difference between SST's in the western and eastern PAC (measures the gradient).