Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

15 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Hey folks, we make the drive up to weston CT every thanksgiving to visit family. We bring the dog with us and I've never found a good place to run him in the woods. Compo beach allows dogs off the leash and there's a good dog park but all the trails i've found nearby don't allow dogs (Devils Den - reservoir - etc)  

Any suggestions for a good secluded area near Weston to let dogs run in the woods? 

Its hunting season.  I wouldn't think about letting my dogs in the woods

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Its hunting season.  I wouldn't think about letting my dogs in the woods

We tie a blaze orange neckerchief to our pup's collar, and she never wanders far from home unless one of us is with her.  Downside of that comes when I want to go out looking for deer.  If I take the truck 200 yards down the road and walk from there, it's fine - "daddy leaves in truck, won't be back for hours."  If I walk into the woods from the house, not so good - "daddy will be back soon so I whine until then."  (And drive my wife batty)

Perhaps 1/4" in Augusta, just a few snow grains at home - each about as forecast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

We tie a blaze orange neckerchief to our pup's collar, and she never wanders far from home unless one of us is with her.  Downside of that comes when I want to go out looking for deer.  If I take the truck 200 yards down the road and walk from there, it's fine - "daddy leaves in truck, won't be back for hours."  If I walk into the woods from the house, not so good - "daddy will be back soon so I whine until then."  (And drive my wife batty)

Perhaps 1/4" in Augusta, just a few snow grains at home - each about as forecast.

Yea you are a lot more trusting of people than I.  I have 3 dogs which could easily be mistaken for deer. Backyard hunt by the firepit for the win though. They drive the dogs crazy, in fact our mix lab got out while I was in NY and my wife working.  She somehow dug under the fence, (I put an end to that) but was waiting at the gate when my wife got home. She was bleeding off the doclaw where she tried to open the latch to get back in and got it caught on a bolt.  Shes fine now.

20181116_065509.jpg

20181116_070145.jpg

When I was a teenager, we had a dog that we couldn't keep in.  He got out one day and was shot by a game warden for chasing deer.  I have felt guilty about not doing a better job of keeping him confined for nearly 35 years.  I've always maintained that dogs aren't the problem, owners are and I was the problem in this instance.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, White Rain said:

Zoom in of a bobcat found out in our backyard 3 years ago. We have had one visit twice since. The last a time a year ago when I ran into him in our driveway.

Meant to post at the time but was busy, have a lot off great shots. Taken about 150 feet away during a snow storm. I guess they don't mind the cold!

1963120018_DSC_0269cut.thumb.jpg.7c0f498bc96f3a3800a35a2ff38b2aed.jpg

Beautiful animal. I've still yet to see one in person. Keep them away from my chickens though.