Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

9 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Like i said, You would see an increase in activity, There done, If they consume that one, Put another down, You don't realize how much of a colony you have until you bait them.

Yeah it’s just a little unnerving that I go from seeing a few here and there to dozens lol. I guess the more the better though.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah it’s just a little unnerving that I go from seeing a few here and there to dozens lol. I guess the more the better though.

lol, What your seeing is what there actually is that you were not seeing, It will get them all, You should see a decrease going forward once you flush them all out.

34 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah you see an increase as those ants come to feed. Then they all die.  You want as many as possible to come feed.  They then take the bait back to the colony as well, which kills them too.  I think the product even says you'll see an increase as they come to feed.  Like Dryslot said, those ants were always there you just didn't see them.  

17 hours ago, dryslot said:

I would say its not frozen, But that's all slush snow, Can tell by the color plus it was open on sunday.

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Who's ready for more snow?! 

Mid-January out there today with the wind blowing snow off the roof-tops, drifting around, arctic temperatures...

FGUmkVY.jpg

yghxpCB.jpg

10 hours ago, dendrite said:

Whineminster says the ground isn’t cold enough. Maybe in a few more weeks it’ll stick for PF.

LOL.  Snow also can't accumulate in October.

I have two measures for winter.  The first of course is snow.  The sign of deep winter though is ice in the Kennebec.  Hopefully we'll have an early arrival of that--I think we might.

Nice snow pics!

On 11/13/2018 at 6:29 PM, CoastalWx said:

What did you get previous events? 

Hey sorry just saw this. My total so far is 14.8":

18-Oct 0.5
19-Oct 0
24-Oct 1.75
25-Oct 0.1
28-Oct 0.2
3-Nov 0.2
9-Nov 1.5
10-Nov 1.75
11-Nov 0.7
13-Nov 8
14-Nov 0.1

A lot of these were very elevation dependent, so the ski hill got a lot more. 

• Like 1

Any folks up north have any suggestions for some places to stay for a few nights.. starting on thanksgiving or the day after?

Most mainstream places are booked solid. Was hoping someone could recommend something less known or off the beaten path that still may have some availability.

Would like to get a ski day in

Nearly 4” Thursday night, all gone yesterday at noon. not surprising drove to Greenwich CT yesterday morning to get my son who drove from Syracuse to Greenwich Thursday PM , took 8.5 hours because Waze kept rerouting them on backroads to avoid traffic. temps in low 40s here when I left but in the. Mid and low 30’s the entire way with deep snow cover.

Pretty much zero melting here the past 2 days as I only got to 33° F today briefly. There's still some snow on the trees and the snow cover is still pristine and beautiful. The mountains are rimed above 2,500 on the N and W slopes; I'll try to get the drone up tomorrow. 

A far cry compared to the valleys where there's about an inch or two of ripe slush that was melting. Kids were sledding on a mostly leafy hillside with only scraps of snow left while here there are some snowmobile tracks. I think they're just testing their sleds out as the VAST trails aren't open until 12/16.

My dog 'knocked' on the door to come back in .  I'm glad I looked out the window before opening the door as she had this in her mouth.  I'm not entirely sure where she dropped it in the dark, but after a quick perusal with my flashlight, I believe it may have only been playing opposum as I'm not seeing it.

IMG_7049 (1).jpg

• Haha 2

On 11/17/2018 at 8:46 AM, CoastalWx said:

Holy phuck.....Steve....please make sure you keep all items of clothes on after this one.

http://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/say-snow-new-england/

Crap.  Some of those get pretty specific. Funny sh*t.  We will have to file all of those into the vault with the dead sea scrolls of days of yore and refer to them as necessary.  The one noting the number of storms = the day of the month when the first snow happens is interesting.  I would not mind seeing 15 storms this season.  

Hey folks, we make the drive up to weston CT every thanksgiving to visit family. We bring the dog with us and I've never found a good place to run him in the woods. Compo beach allows dogs off the leash and there's a good dog park but all the trails i've found nearby don't allow dogs (Devils Den - reservoir - etc)  

Any suggestions for a good secluded area near Weston to let dogs run in the woods?