Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

3 hours ago, StormSurge said:

Sorry, it’s been crazy! 

Steve shared the drive that has all my photos (thanks!) so check that out. 

(Apologies in advance for any errors. On the ferry now).

We got a fire alarm call at 7:43 am for an alarm activation on Isabella Beach Rd. While waiting for another firefighter to get to the firehouse to respond, we received another call four minutes later for another alarm on Clay Point Rd. 

On the way to the first call, the gate house attendant (the east end of the island is private) told us a resident called to say a tornado hit her house & trees were everywhere. That resident lives next to where we were headed .

We arrived at the first call just as it was being called off as a false alarm. We were going to continue down Isabella Beach Rd to the second call but the road was impassable. We turned around & headed back to the main road and soon we found that road impassable as well. (@Hoth, just pass 4 Corners, right before the water works.)

That was a false alarm too, so after returning the fire truck, I headed back out to take photos. 

I started at the house where the caller lives & worked my way down Isabella Beach Rd. on foot   All of the trees there had fallen in the same direction. I assumed straight line winds at that point. 

There were many trees down along that route, all falling in the same direction (SW to NE). As I approached the 4 Corners area, I noticed that the tops of the trees were showing damage, along with twisting. 

Tops of utility poles were ripped & eventually I came across the most dramatic damage. There’s a home on the north side of the driving range that had a stand of trees obliterated, giving the home owner a new water view. (@hoth, the Arnold’s I believe). 

Just past that home is where the photos of the shed were taken. The shed was completely blown off the foundation & into a sailboat being stored, which was also severely damaged. 

The tornado exited the island just to the NE of this location. (@hoth, the Bogerts)

During my travels, I heard of the damage to the round house at Wilderness Pt. All of the windows were blown out on the south, west & north sides. This is where the water spout came ashore. 

Let me know if anyone has any specific questions regarding any of the photos or anything else. I’m heading to Albany for the night and Mrs. SS is driving. 

That is wild. Thanks for sharing your story! You finally got your storm!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StormSurge said:

Sorry, it’s been crazy! 

Steve shared the drive that has all my photos (thanks!) so check that out. 

(Apologies in advance for any errors. On the ferry now).

We got a fire alarm call at 7:43 am for an alarm activation on Isabella Beach Rd. While waiting for another firefighter to get to the firehouse to respond, we received another call four minutes later for another alarm on Clay Point Rd. 

On the way to the first call, the gate house attendant (the east end of the island is private) told us a resident called to say a tornado hit her house & trees were everywhere. That resident lives next to where we were headed .

We arrived at the first call just as it was being called off as a false alarm. We were going to continue down Isabella Beach Rd to the second call but the road was impassable. We turned around & headed back to the main road and soon we found that road impassable as well. (@Hoth, just pass 4 Corners, right before the water works.)

That was a false alarm too, so after returning the fire truck, I headed back out to take photos. 

I started at the house where the caller lives & worked my way down Isabella Beach Rd. on foot   All of the trees there had fallen in the same direction. I assumed straight line winds at that point. 

There were many trees down along that route, all falling in the same direction (SW to NE). As I approached the 4 Corners area, I noticed that the tops of the trees were showing damage, along with twisting. 

Tops of utility poles were ripped & eventually I came across the most dramatic damage. There’s a home on the north side of the driving range that had a stand of trees obliterated, giving the home owner a new water view. (@hoth, the Arnold’s I believe). 

Just past that home is where the photos of the shed were taken. The shed was completely blown off the foundation & into a sailboat being stored, which was also severely damaged. 

The tornado exited the island just to the NE of this location. (@hoth, the Bogerts)

During my travels, I heard of the damage to the round house at Wilderness Pt. All of the windows were blown out on the south, west & north sides. This is where the water spout came ashore. 

Let me know if anyone has any specific questions regarding any of the photos or anything else. I’m heading to Albany for the night and Mrs. SS is driving. 

Wow, thanks so much for this account! And thanks to Steve for sharing the link to the photos. Here's video of it on Instagram. 

It may well be an unprecedented event on the island. I've certainly never heard of a spout/tornado out there. I'm amazed by the damage to the round house too (which incidentally I think was sold recently as well). BTW StormSurge I'm trying to get my bearings on the video above. Is this taken from inner West Harbor looking out past Grey Gulls? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Wow, thanks so much for this account! And thanks to Steve for sharing the link to the photos. Here's video of it on Instagram. 

It may well be an unprecedented event on the island. I've certainly never heard of a spout/tornado out there. I'm amazed by the damage to the round house too (which incidentally I think was sold recently as well). BTW StormSurge I'm trying to get my bearings on the video above. Is this taken from inner West Harbor looking out past Grey Gulls? 

I was too. Not sure. I think he was making the run from Noank to West Harbor, so I think you’re correct. 

• Thanks 1

North Stonington Ct probably same one from Fishers Island 

.STONINGTON/NORTH STONINGTON CONNECTICUT TORNADO...

START LOCATION...STONINGTON IN NEW LONDON COUNTY CONNECTICUT
END LOCATION...NORTH STONINGTON IN NEW LONDON COUNTY CONNECTICUT
DATE...10/29/2018
ESTIMATED TIME...7:56 AM EDT
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF0
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...65-85 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...100 YARDS
PATH LENGTH...2.3 MILES
BEGINNING LAT/LON...41.410/-71.869
ENDING LAT/LON...41.441/-71.849
* FATALITIES...0
* INJURIES...0

...SUMMARY...
THE EFO TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN ON NORTH ANGUILLA ROAD ABOUT THREE 
TENTHS OF A MILE SOUTH OF MINER PENTWAY. THERE WERE 8 TO 10 UPROOTED
OAK TREES AND MANY BROKEN BRANCHES. THE TORNADO BRIEFLY LIFTED BEFORE
TOUCHING DOWN AGAIN AT NORTH ANGUILLA ROAD AT MINER PENTWAY. MULTIPLE
LARGE OAK TREES WERE UPROOTED AND DOWNED IN A CONVERGENT PATTERN. THE
TORNADO BRIEFLY LIFTED AGAIN AND THEN TOUCHED DOWN ALONG ROUTE 184
BETWEEN ROUTE 2 AND ROUTE 49. MANY TREES WERE UPROOTED AND BRANCHES 
WERE SNAPPED. THE TORNADO LIFTED BRIEFLY ONE MORE TIME BEFORE TOUCHING
DOWN ON ROUTE 49 NEAR BABCOCK ROAD WHERE TREES WERE DOWNED ON BOTH
SIDES OF THE ROAD. 

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

I once watched a waterspout-wannabe off of Block Island in the mid to late 1980s while fishing.  Did not touch the water, but our boat captain was getting out of its way

• Like 1

Wild morning indeed. Thanks for sharing the story, @StormSurge Unlike last week, at least this potential was picked up a bit by some. Again, pretty high 0-3km CAPE with some decent sc vorticity, steep lapse rates, and potent s/w.

The latest confirmed tornado in CT marks 9 on the year for the state which breaks the record of 8 in 1973. I think between CT/MA/RI alone we're at 18 tornadoes. I don't remember off hand how many have occurred in VT/NH/ME. 

• Like 1

EF1!

(BTW, when the final review is published, can someone share that with me?)

.FISHERS ISLAND TORNADO...

Start Location...Around one quarter mile east of Wilderness Point
                 on Fishers Island in Suffolk County New York
End Location...Around one half mile east of Clay Point on Fishers
               Island in Suffolk County New York
Date...10/29/2018
Estimated Time...7:35 to 7:41 AM EDT
Maximum EF-Scale Rating...EF1
Estimated Maximum Wind Speed...90 mph
Maximum Path Width...100 yards
Path Length...2 miles
Beginning Lat/Lon...Approximately 41.255/-71.998
Ending Lat/Lon...Approximately 41.279/71.980
* Fatalities...0
* Injuries...unknown

...Summary...
The tornado began around one quarter of a mile east of
Wilderness Point on Wilderness Road. A circular house sustained minor
damage with glass shattered and blown nearby. A beam of the house was
lifted up a hill and dropped near another home. Several trees were
uprooted and snapped, and a shed was toppled over. A few trees were
downed at another home across the street in a convergent pattern, with
a small fence toppled over. This damage was consistent with an EF0
tornado. The tornado continued moving to the northeast with EF0 damage
near a home on Isabella Beach Road. Many trees were uprooted and
snapped. One tree fell over and a piece of its trunk was forced several
feet into the ground. The EF0 tornado continued northeast along
Isabella Beach Road with a few trees and branches downed by the
intersection of Old Mallory Road. More significant damage occurred
about a tenth of a mile from the intersection of Old Mallory Road and
East End Road. Large hardwood trees were snapped, twisted, and sheared
off. Several trees were downed and uprooted. A large branch fell
through the roof of the garage on the property and another branch
caused minor damage to the back of the roof of the home. The damage at
this location was consistent with an EF1 tornado with estimated max
wind speeds of 90 mph. The tornado weakened to an EF0 as it continued
moving northeast. Several trees were snapped and uprooted near the
intersection of East End Road and Cedar Ridge. A small shed was also
toppled over. A few trees were downed about a tenth of a mile north of
the intersection of East End Road and Clay Point Road. This is where
the tornado moved off of Fishers island.

The National Weather Service would like to thank the Town of East
Hampton Marine Patrol, Suffolk County Emergency Management, United
States Coast Guard Station Montauk Point, New York State Law
Enforcement, Suffolk County Sheriff Department, Fishers Island Fire
Department and members of the media for their assistance with this
survey.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Another October day where the temperature stayed in the 30s... high of 38F and raw with some morning flurries, snow grains.  

Hard to believe the difference from the first half of the month to the second half.

ORH sitting slightly BN  (-1.5F through Oct 30)    Not bad