Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

51 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I can’t remember a period where we had such  intense t-storms in non summer months. Going back to that beast in February two years ago 

Certainly it will make for an interesting study one day. Last week Matt Noyes said he thought it could be something that may be studied for years. 

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I bet more than that. There were 4 from last Tuesday's storm in Mass and RI...so 8+4 is 12 there, plus there were earlier ones in Mass. Not sure about ME,NH,VT

It's been quite the season to say the least! Perhaps a thread should be started to list them all. If my memory is serving me well NH had their 2nd earliest reported tornado back in early May.

2 hours ago, Hoth said:

Holy sh#%! Wilderness Pt over towards Isabella! StormSurge, what's the deal there? 

Sorry, it’s been crazy! 

Steve shared the drive that has all my photos (thanks!) so check that out. 

(Apologies in advance for any errors. On the ferry now).

We got a fire alarm call at 7:43 am for an alarm activation on Isabella Beach Rd. While waiting for another firefighter to get to the firehouse to respond, we received another call four minutes later for another alarm on Clay Point Rd. 

On the way to the first call, the gate house attendant (the east end of the island is private) told us a resident called to say a tornado hit her house & trees were everywhere. That resident lives next to where we were headed .

We arrived at the first call just as it was being called off as a false alarm. We were going to continue down Isabella Beach Rd to the second call but the road was impassable. We turned around & headed back to the main road and soon we found that road impassable as well. (@Hoth, just pass 4 Corners, right before the water works.)

That was a false alarm too, so after returning the fire truck, I headed back out to take photos. 

I started at the house where the caller lives & worked my way down Isabella Beach Rd. on foot   All of the trees there had fallen in the same direction. I assumed straight line winds at that point. 

There were many trees down along that route, all falling in the same direction (SW to NE). As I approached the 4 Corners area, I noticed that the tops of the trees were showing damage, along with twisting. 

Tops of utility poles were ripped & eventually I came across the most dramatic damage. There’s a home on the north side of the driving range that had a stand of trees obliterated, giving the home owner a new water view. (@hoth, the Arnold’s I believe). 

Just past that home is where the photos of the shed were taken. The shed was completely blown off the foundation & into a sailboat being stored, which was also severely damaged. 

The tornado exited the island just to the NE of this location. (@hoth, the Bogerts)

During my travels, I heard of the damage to the round house at Wilderness Pt. All of the windows were blown out on the south, west & north sides. This is where the water spout came ashore. 

Let me know if anyone has any specific questions regarding any of the photos or anything else. I’m heading to Albany for the night and Mrs. SS is driving. 

• Like 1