• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

Just bought the new Acurite atlas weather station. I had the 5 in 1 unit for years with no issues. Should get it next week. Looks like it has alot more features including a uv sensor. You can also mount the wind sensor 30 ft high off the main unit. Will report back when I get it set up. 

https://www.acurite.com/atlas-weather-station.html

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Snow showers moving through again at 32F in the valley at noon.

This has been some ridiculous cold in October with all this daytime flakeage.  

This is the 5th day with flakes falling at home this month.

It has been discussed ad nauseum but I still get a bit shook at cold and snow too early.  I'm always fearing the '89 style snap back.

4 minutes ago, mreaves said:

It has been discussed ad nauseum but I still get a bit shook at cold and snow too early.  I'm always fearing the '89 style snap back.

I'm not worried as even if the band snaps back (which it will) we still have plenty of time before "real winter" sets in. 

There's no doubt it'll warm up in November as this just isn't sustainable.  The departures aren't even that much because we've been cloudy for 2 weeks straight and can't radiate.  It's just been the daytime temperatures holding near freezing that have been crazy.  It's different from a cold pattern that's clear and we'd radiate to 19F and then be 45F during the day.  But the daytime persistent flurries and cold temperatures while out doing your daily life makes this feel real impressive.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Snow showers moving through again at 32F in the valley at noon.

This has been some ridiculous cold in October with all this daytime flakeage.  

This is the 5th day with flakes falling at home this month.

3rd day of flakage for me and Im way south of you.  Im going through wood really quickly for October.  Normally the house is warm enough during the day that I only have to fire up the stove in the evening to warm it up.  Another cloudy day up here.  Looking on the south horizon I see lots of breaks.  Up to 34.9F.  This mornings dusting finally has melted away.

4 hours ago, dryslot said:

Foliage is awesome here too in 55 gal bags.

Mine needs a ride to the garden.

89-90 certainly had temps snapback following the 6 frigid weeks, but in my area (then 2 towns south of Augusta) the snow kept on coming.

Fun afternoon wandering the high country with the dog. 

Full on winter with 27F in the parking lots and I found 18F on the outdoor thermometer at 3,600ft.  Blowing and drifting snow right into the base area even.

This was snow cover at the bottom of the mountain at the start of our walk...

kuxDyI8.jpg

Very sharp increase from 2,000-2,500ft from autumn snow to pretty much full on winter.  Found about 5" of dense snow above 2,500ft.

XqObcoM.jpg

D4dySyj.jpg

CTW8CwP.jpg

Rg9LNOL.jpg

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

A little too early for that. Glad we down here.

Ha, I guess.  I was amazed at how much nicer it looked with snow on the ground.  I'm sure your yard looks like mine, brown, dead grass, just sticks on the trees.  No color, low clouds spitting flakes.  They make horror movies or depressing sad films with these type of settings.

Get into the high country where there's snow on the ground and everything is bright.  Not sure many of us would trade 5" of brightness for the dark dreary November look.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, I guess.  I was amazed at how much nicer it looked with snow on the ground.  I'm sure your yard looks like mine, brown, dead grass, just sticks on the trees.  No color, low clouds spitting flakes.  They make horror movies or depressing sad films with these type of settings.

Get into the high country where there's snow on the ground and everything is bright.  Not sure many of us would trade 5" of brightness for the dark dreary November look.

DJFM is enough for me. ONDJFMAM would have my mouth around the exhaust. I actually have a lot of stuff I need to do around the yard and the run before winter roars in so I hope the warmup pans out. Lots of snow becomes difficult with the chickens. I want to cheer on 100" again so I need to winterize the run even better than last year. I may section off a portion of their covered part with clear, corrugated panels on the walls to block the wind and snow. Unfortunately they don't come cheap like they used to. $22 for a 2' x 8' panel and that's actually a good price. :axe:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, dendrite said:

DJFM is enough for me. ONDJFMAM would have my mouth around the exhaust. I actually have a lot of stuff I need to do around the yard and the run before winter roars in so I hope the warmup pans out. Lots of snow becomes difficult with the chickens. I want to cheer on 100" again so I need to winterize the run even better than last year. I may section off a portion of their covered part with clear, corrugated panels on the walls to block the wind and snow. Unfortunately they don't come cheap like they used to. $22 for a 2' x 8' panel and that's actually a good price. :axe:

Oh I hear ya.  I'm all on-board for another warm up prior to real winter.  I just think it's been so cold and raw lately that its hit the point where you root for snow on the ground or temps in the 50s.  This afternoon the 3pm ob was 31F with a wind chill of 21F and snow grains being spit out of the low clouds.  I'm not ready for it either, but I'd rather a solid mantle of snow or for temps to warm up so I don't have to have the heat running full-bore for over a week in October. 

Crazy that the month is actually still a tick above normal at MVL...yet I'll probably have one of the higher heating bills for October in the past few years.  The lack of radiational cooling has been keeping departures in check despite the obnoxiously cold daytime temps.  Tons of midnight high temps lately.  Like the last 12 hours today, max of 33F and min of 30F.  Very small diurnal ranges in this chilly air mass.