Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

12 minutes ago, LurkerBoy said:

Yeah that's not me and I don't know him.

That said - this is a SOCIAL forum, and making someone feel less-than is not millennial self victimization, it's me telling you how it feels to immediately feel unwelcome in the only place in my life I can turn to to find people who relate to my fascination with weather. 

I'll prob stop posting, keep up the good work guys. 

Just do your due diligence before posting.  Many of these posters have been around for a long time and although newbies are welcome everyone asks that you go look for yourself before asking open questions.  This isn't the forum to ask "What does the GFS show?"  Or "what model shows it getting warm next week?"  The level here is often that we assume everyone is already looking at that stuff.  If you have a question on why a model might give a certain solution, that's different.  

But there is an expectation of due diligence and looking at models on your own.  Also, getting highly emotional every time it gets mild won't go well for you either.  Being overly emotional about weather in general won't go well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Don't stop posting Lurker.....just stop being so worried about a potential warm up two weeks from now...it really has no relevance on the next week or two, and may or may not pan out like it's being shown???????

There are alot of METS here, and hobbyists that really know their stuff(that's what make it a good site), and sometimes they can get easily "frustrated" with newbie questions and Green-ness so to speak.  Just try and let it role off your back and move forward...learn and continue to post.  You're a decent guy...don't give up so easily ok :-)

• Like 2

There are a reasonable number of solid posters who lurked for years before posting. Sometimes that is what it takes to feel like you've learned a sufficient amount to contribute. I personally didn't start posting for about 2-3 years after I found online weather forums in the early 2000s. 

Others sometimes just post in obs threads (which is honestly a huge value)  during events. 

I don't think anyone will find it hard to post here once you've done your due diligence on learning the basics...I.E becoming familiar with the models and which ones are good for short term and which ones are good for longer term...learning pretty basic model analysis...learning basic climo for the region...etc. 

Edit: I'll add that good faith questions will almost always be answered and are encouraged. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, LurkerBoy said:

Yeah that's not me and I don't know him.

That said - this is a SOCIAL forum, and making someone feel less-than is not millennial self victimization, it's me telling you how it feels to immediately feel unwelcome in the only place in my life I can turn to to find people who relate to my fascination with weather. 

I'll prob stop posting, keep up the good work guys. 

I really don't want to keep this going with you, especially in the pattern thread. I'm giving you some tough love...thicken your skin a little. You made a post questioning whether it's worth your time to keep posting here simply because you asked which guidance shows a warmup and CoastalWx responded "all guidance". Again, this is after a history here where your posting has come across as less than mature -- to say the least. I'm not even sure how you garnered the rare weenie tag, but you do have multiple warnings from multiple mods in your warning log. In fact, I've always considered you and the weatherexpert kid as harmless trolls that I ignored before the past few days. Just chill out and lose the drama. I haven't terminated your posting yet and I easily could have so that should tell you something. Now let's get back to weather once and for all. lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dryslot said:

Only made it to 32°F here this am, Looks like winds stayed up some overnight plus it didn't clear until after midnight.

I chucked a few :weenie:'s in your direction as I drove through the dirty Lew after leaving the snowmobile show yesterday.  I always enjoy going up there and getting some preseason sled talk in.

Just now, mreaves said:

I chucked a few :weenie:'s in your direction as I drove through the dirty Lew after leaving the snowmobile show yesterday.  I always enjoy going up there and getting some preseason sled talk in.

lol, Yeah, Just got off the phone with Greg from Shaker Hill outdoors, He said it was a real good show, My only shot would have been friday night, But after two late nights watching the sox, I was toast.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

lol, Yeah, Just got off the phone with Greg from Shaker Hill outdoors, He said it was a real good show, My only shot would have been friday night, But after two late nights watching the sox, I was toast.

I worked Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday until noon.  Seemed like a bigger crowd than last year.  I think I bought something from Shaker Hill.  I picked up a new jacket and helmet for my son and new gloves fro my wife.  Pretty decent deals and a lot easier crowds to manage than the grass drags in Epping, NH

7 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I worked Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday until noon.  Seemed like a bigger crowd than last year.  I think I bought something from Shaker Hill.  I picked up a new jacket and helmet for my son and new gloves fro my wife.  Pretty decent deals and a lot easier crowds to manage than the grass drags in Epping, NH

He said the same thing, Great crowd this season moreso then last, I'm in the same club with Tim & Greg from SHO and have known them a long time, They actually did the rebuild on my sled as Greg only lives about a 1/4 mile from my house, They usually have some great deals on all clothing and accessories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I really don't want to keep this going with you, especially in the pattern thread. I'm giving you some tough love...thicken your skin a little. You made a post questioning whether it's worth your time to keep posting here simply because you asked which guidance shows a warmup and CoastalWx responded "all guidance". Again, this is after a history here where your posting has come across as less than mature -- to say the least. I'm not even sure how you garnered the rare weenie tag, but you do have multiple warnings from multiple mods in your warning log. In fact, I've always considered you and the weatherexpert kid as harmless trolls that I ignored before the past few days. Just chill out and lose the drama. I haven't terminated your posting yet and I easily could have so that should tell you something. Now let's get back to weather once and for all. lol

51991134.jpg?w=960&h=540&fit=crop&crop=f

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

There are a reasonable number of solid posters who lurked for years before posting. Sometimes that is what it takes to feel like you've learned a sufficient amount to contribute. I personally didn't start posting for about 2-3 years after I found online weather forums in the early 2000s. 

Remember those days back in the early 2000s where you would almost be afraid to post if it wasn't absolutely necessary or really insightful?   I think a lot of us back then read and lurked for years even, maybe only posting the occasional storm observation.  It was a much different time where everything was much more science driven and if you didn't have a scientifically backed-up post then you just didn't write it.

Granted usage was much less and there were no one-liner posts, but when people did post you actually would read it and felt you learned something.  That carried on for a while, heck even DIT (CT_Blizz at the time) got crowned "weenie of the year" in that age because that style of posting wasn't really accepted.  Posting anything even close to wishcasting was a weenie-able offense.  If all models showed a storm hundreds of miles out to sea, the thought that someone would post "It's coming.  Big snow coming, you watch!" with no scientific reasoning except they wanted it to snow was enough for a tag or Weenie of the Year award on Wright-Weather BB.  There's been quite the evolution in posting styles and in social media in general...the "too long didn't read" age has arrived of one-liners.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Remember those days back in the early 2000s where you would almost be afraid to post if it wasn't absolutely necessary or really insightful?   I think a lot of us back then read and lurked for years even, maybe only posting the occasional storm observation.  It was a much different time where everything was much more science driven and if you didn't have a scientifically backed-up post then you just didn't write it.

Granted usage was much less and there were no one-liner posts, but when people did post you actually would read it and felt you learned something.  That carried on for a while, heck even DIT (CT_Blizz at the time) got crowned "weenie of the year" in that age because that style of posting wasn't really accepted.  Posting anything even close to wishcasting was a weenie-able offense.  If all models showed a storm hundreds of miles out to sea, the thought that someone would post "It's coming.  Big snow coming, you watch!" with no scientific reasoning except they wanted it to snow was enough for a tag or Weenie of the Year award on Wright-Weather BB.  There's been quite the evolution in posting styles and in social media in general...the "too long didn't read" age has arrived of one-liners.

Twitter and Facebook are probably the worst thing that ever happened to meteorology in terms of keeping it science-based. They have helped spread the awareness of impacting weather and certainly driven traffic to some people's sites, but IMHO it doesn't outweigh the overwhelming amount of misinformation and misinterpretation that they cause. You can't really give a realistic forecast in 100 characters. Linking to a video of a good on-camera forecast is probably the most useful element of them. 

Forums have been a happy medium of connecting with more weather enthusiasts and keeping the discussion at a high level. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Twitter and Facebook are probably the worst thing that ever happened to meteorology in terms of keeping it science-based. They have helped spread the awareness of impacting weather and certainly driven traffic to some people's sites, but IMHO it doesn't outweigh the overwhelming amount of misinformation and misinterpretation that they cause. You can't really give a realistic forecast in 100 characters. Linking to a video of a good on-camera forecast is probably the most useful element of them. 

Forums have been a happy medium of connecting with more weather enthusiasts and keeping the discussion at a high level. 

To be blunt ... what goes on in here is not much better honestly.  It was back in Eastern, perhaps.  Not here... 

The standardization and quality shortly after this platformed off Eastern's demise, both relaxed.  Sorry they just did.

Who knows why...  Well, I have my suspicions -

20 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

To be blunt ... what goes on in here is not much better honestly.  It was back in Eastern, perhaps.  Not here... 

The standardization and quality shortly after this platformed off Eastern's demise, both relaxed.  Sorry they just did.

It's just changed.  We used to write much longer, informative posts and even before storms you'd have posters giving multi-paragraph forecast discussions, storm forecast maps, long-winded long term prognostics... essentially your types of posts were much more prevalent, ha.  

Now it's like why bother as it'll be buried 3 pages deep in one-liner posts, and I'm just as guilty.  It's like collectively we've gone to more posts, with less substance per post. 

But emails IMO have gone that way too...a decade ago email was a lot more formal, now they are like text messages or tweets.  And we can thank smartphones for that.  Prior you'd have to post from a computer with a keyboard and could write out your thoughts. Now posting is done via phone while sitting for 20 minutes at JiffyLube getting that $19.99 oil change lol.  And mobile phone usage leads to more posts with less words.

@ORH_wxman should move this to Banter, I didn't realize this is the pattern thread. 

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's just changed.  We used to write much longer, informative posts and even before storms you'd have posters giving multi-paragraph forecast discussions, storm forecast maps, long-winded long term prognostics... essentially your types of posts were much more prevalent, ha.  

Now it's like why bother as it'll be buried 3 pages deep in one-liner posts, and I'm just as guilty.  It's like collectively we've gone to more posts, with less substance per post. 

But emails IMO have gone that way too...a decade ago email was a lot more formal, now they are like text messages or tweets.

@ORH_wxman should move this to Banter, I didn't realize this is the pattern thread. 

This is true.  I used to use a computer to post.  Now it’s a phone.  There’s a limit to how much you can post typing with your thumbs.  Don’t get me wrong, I miss the days of long strongly researched posts coming from me.  But things change in life and we’re all rolling with it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, weathafella said:

This is true.  I used to use a computer to post.  Now it’s a phone.  There’s a limit to how much you can post typing with your thumbs.  Don’t get me wrong, I miss the days of long strongly researched posts coming from me.  But things change in life and we’re all rolling with it.

I also don’t find the time I used to have for long thought out posts  with graphics etc. now you can hit and run with phones. I definitely try to up my game when it’s go time for storms.  But for now, it’s just so easy to be mobile and make some quick 1-2 sentence posts.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yeah it's definitely the change from computers to phones.  The old forum posts were like you said, almost like research posts.  People posting years of indexes and snowfall and H5 composites, etc.  HM, DonS, Mellow, you, Tip, ORH, etc used to have great posts that you could drink a beer to and still be reading when finished with the beer lol.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I won't disagree. That's why I said social media was the worst thing to happen to it. Even though we are still on the message board format, the posting behavior has transferred over for the most part. Everything is now, now, now...fast, fast, fast...accuracy or scientific veracity be damned. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Other than work .. does anyone use computers anymore? Even laptops have become somewhat obsolete other than work . Life is about change. The board has changed because the world and society change and are changing daily . And what’s noticeable on here is the few folks (not you obviously)that refuse to adapt and change and join social media.. struggle at times here . 

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Other than work .. does anyone use computers anymore? Even laptops have become somewhat obsolete other than work . Life is about change. The board has changed because the world and society change and are changing daily . And what’s noticeable on here is the few folks (not you obviously)that refuse to adapt and change and join social media.. struggle at times here . 

We note 9 with stylus, sweet

Bought a helmet from those guys. Nice little shop

He said the same thing, Great crowd this season moreso then last, I'm in the same club with Tim & Greg from SHO and have known them a long time, They actually did the rebuild on my sled as Greg only lives about a 1/4 mile from my house, They usually have some great deals on all clothing and accessories.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It's interesting your talking about smartphones and cell service.  I took that all for granted living in Metro Boston.  Then moved up here.  Along Rt 93 through NH great cell service.  However much of rural NNE has no cell service.  We drove from here to Bath Maine yesterday, 130 mile and I was trying to look at the models.  Very hard to do unless we were passing through larger towns or the Portland area.  It's the haves and have nots..