• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

So I’m looking at a used vehicle, cost of the vehicle is listed at $26,495.

in anyone’s experience, what is a realistic expectation on how much I can get them down? And where to start on my end?

I told them going to the dealership would be a mere formality and that all negotiations would take place prior via email.

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I consider not driving 45 min to Stop N Shop a badge of honor too. 

:lol: I'm definitely jealous of Mitch's home location but I also just walked from my front door down the Rec Path to a place to share a scorpion bowl and some sushi with my wife before the NCLS Game 7 started.  I'm a born and raised suburban kid, ha, so I enjoy having civilization comforts so close by.  As I've said before, where I am right now I can easily walk to everything from breweries like the Alchemist to a dozen restaurants and the closest to me happens to be a hibachi japanese steakhouse like you'd find in any suburb, usually sitting next to the Olive Garden or something. 

And it's an 8 minute drive to 1,500ft in the Stowe parking lots.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

:lol: I'm definitely jealous of Mitch's home location but I also just walked from my front door down the Rec Path to a place to share a scorpion bowl and some sushi with my wife before the NCLS Game 7 started.  I'm a born and raised suburban kid, ha, so I enjoy having civilization comforts so close by.  As I've said before, where I am right now I can easily walk to everything from breweries like the Alchemist to a dozen restaurants and the closest to me happens to be a hibachi japanese steakhouse like you'd find in any suburb, usually sitting next to the Olive Garden or something. 

And it's an 8 minute drive to 1,500ft in the Stowe parking lots.

You’re in a fantastic spot. Definitely consider yourself lucky. I’m sure you’ve heard that before. :lol:  and obviously I joke too. His spot looks beautiful. Just not sure I could be that isolated,  but that’s me. Ideally I’d have a range of 6K mountains, 5 miles behind my cape cod style beaches...but that seems just a tad unlikely. 

• Haha 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

You’re in a fantastic spot. Definitely consider yourself lucky. I’m sure you’ve heard that before. :lol:  and obviously I joke too. His spot looks beautiful. Just not sure I could be that isolated,  but that’s me. Ideally I’d have a range of 6K mountains, 5 miles behind my cape cod style beaches...but that seems just a tad unlikely. 

I know I'll have to move at some point, too.  Family changes or job changes are going to come up and it may be that time in life sooner rather than later.  But definitely enjoying this spot for combo of snow/winter and conveniences.  I won't lie, I'd love to have some elevation but like real elevation.  Around here I almost would rather be 750ft on the valley floor for radiational cooling and large diurnal ranges rather than say 1,100ft where there's really not that much difference in snowfall (proximity to the Spine matters more, with elevation being secondary) but the lower/mid slope elevations often are above the low level inversion and the temps aren't as exciting for extremes in either direction.  If I'm going up in elevation, I want it to be like 1,500ft lol.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I know I'll have to move at some point, too.  Family changes or job changes are going to come up and it may be that time in life sooner rather than later.  But definitely enjoying this spot for combo of snow/winter and conveniences.  I won't lie, I'd love to have some elevation but like real elevation.  Around here I almost would rather be 750ft on the valley floor for radiational cooling and large diurnal ranges rather than say 1,100ft where there's really not that much difference in snowfall (proximity to the Spine matters more, with elevation being secondary) but the lower/mid slope elevations often are above the low level inversion and the temps aren't as exciting for extremes in either direction.  If I'm going up in elevation, I want it to be like 1,500ft lol.

Ha, here I am wishing for blue hill elevation. Both for wind and snow. This is where Mitch’s elevation comes in. 2k or bust. Reasonable temps in summer at that height is my biggest attraction. I could do without highs below 0 though. 

9 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

First day driving in 20 days. Some nice foliage out there but pretty dull overall

Very dull , took an afternoon yesterday and drove around Putnam, Pomfrett , Woodstock etc. kind of weird since last week I spent the afternoon near Sunapee and the foliage was about the best I've ever seen . 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Santa Barbara?

14 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

in anyone’s experience, what is a realistic expectation on how much I can get them down? And where to start on my end?

I told them going to the dealership would be a mere formality and that all negotiations would take place prior via email.

Not sure as far as final price negotiation, but keep in mind that there is a record glut of cars coming off lease in the U.S. and entering the used car market. Dealers are probably pretty desperate to move the inventory, especially since new car sales have plunged recently, so you might have a bit of leverage if they just want to move metal. Good luck! Also, on the off chance it's a Tesla you're considering, bear in mind that the company is in potentially dire financial straits and may not be able to provide service or honor any warranty. 

14 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Damn kid, you’re on a tight budget but you’re getting an expensive whip? If you don’t put up big miles, consider leasing....owning depreciating assets is not ideal. But if you want to own, I get it, why spend some much on used though?

Negotiating dealerships is a coc waving contest. You can bring the price down by leveraging the saturated market and their need to make numbers....but in the end, they won’t sell unless it’s in their favor. In your case, without knowing what you’re buying and how likely they can sell it, hard to know how much you can knock em down. I usually ask for service incentives over price reductions but that’s just me. Something to think about, however. GL.

10 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Ha, here I am wishing for blue hill elevation. Both for wind and snow. This is where Mitch’s elevation comes in. 2k or bust. Reasonable temps in summer at that height is my biggest attraction. I could do without highs below 0 though. 

I'm going to miss my relatively cool summer highs.  I think the Pit gets officially listed tomorrow.  I'll be here for another week or so and then be living--at least 75%-- up at Pit2.

Sad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm going to miss my relatively cool summer highs.  I think the Pit gets officially listed tomorrow.  I'll be here for another week or so and then be living--at least 75%-- up at Pit2.

Sad.

Good luck with all that. So long to the and of QPF woes. Off to downeast ME and ORH.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Good luck with all that. So long to the and of QPF woes. Off to downeast ME and ORH.

Thanks, Scott.   A lot of craziness on the personal side of life between this, work, etc., etc.  Hopefully there will be snow events soon and hopefully I'll have the time to actually follow them.

50 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks, Scott.   A lot of craziness on the personal side of life between this, work, etc., etc.  Hopefully there will be snow events soon and hopefully I'll have the time to actually follow them.

The qpf will not be a problem, But the CF will be at times.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Damn kid, you’re on a tight budget but you’re getting an expensive whip? If you don’t put up big miles, consider leasing....owning depreciating assets is not ideal. But if you want to own, I get it, why spend some much on used though?

Negotiating dealerships is a coc waving contest. You can bring the price down by leveraging the saturated market and their need to make numbers....but in the end, they won’t sell unless it’s in their favor. In your case, without knowing what you’re buying and how likely they can sell it, hard to know how much you can knock em down. I usually ask for service incentives over price reductions but that’s just me. Something to think about, however. GL.

Lol well, it’s more necessity. I’m essential personnel for the town I work for when it comes to snow removal and I need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get in during storms. 

The plan was to swap cars with my dad if I knew I storm was coming, but there is a good chance they will no longer own the SUV after this week.

Not ideal, as I’d rathee just keep my car

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Lol well, it’s more necessity. I’m essential personnel for the town I work for when it comes to snow removal and I need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get in during storms. 

The plan was to swap cars with my dad if I knew I storm was coming, but there is a good chance they will no longer own the SUV after this week.

Nice man, got that job AND you can weenie out in it...huge win. 

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So as personnel for the Town, are they providing any monetary help towards the vehicle or are you technically a "subcontrocator"?  27k is steep for a used vehicle but I can see why with it being a truck.

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The qpf will not be a problem, But the CF will be at times.

True.  It's a good snow-spot regardless.  Playing with the CF fire is a far easier undertaking there than it is in SNE.   I remember when I was living up there a dozen years ago, Cool Spruce and I would be awaiting the arrival of the front.  Even when it did reach us, there'd be enough of a front-end pounding that we'd still typically come out on the winning side.

Facebook reminding me of the big October 2010 storm that plastered the mountain with feet of heavy wet paste.  

I remember Jim Cantore was doing live shots from 2,000ft in Stowe during 2"/hr snows...while I was watching catpaws accumulate slush on car windshields at home at 750ft.  Funny to be watching TWC live in your town getting crushed with snow and then look outside and see something much different.

IMG_0964.JPG

Well not sure what kind of 4 wheel drive you want or need. We have a Honda CRV and it’s great in the snow. Got me through 2015. We got it new that year, but I’m sure you can find something fairly new at that price, if you’re not caring too much about a big vehicle.  Also as others said, look into leasing. I’m not sure how many miles you drive a day, but easy guessing will have you figure out if leasing is good for you. 

8 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Anyone see flakes this morning?

8 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Anyone see flakes this morning?

If anything is was in the hinterlands of  nrn orh county. Got together a little too far to the east where boundary layer was mild anyways. Potent bugger. Would have been decent a few weeks from now.

• Like 2