Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

5 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Also we had wind gusts on MWN to 55 knots for tonight, they are already sustained at 70. <_<

That's gotta be one of the more difficult places to forecast. I remember going hiking there a few years ago in September. When I left Boston in the early a.m., conditions at the mountain were clear and calm. I show up three hours later and it's blowing 80 sustained with an ice storm in progress on the summit. By the time I got up to Tuckerman, it was a gorgeous day and almost calm. You can easily see why so many people die there. A lot of hikers seem totally unaware of how variable the conditions can be.

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

That's gotta be one of the more difficult places to forecast. I remember going hiking there a few years ago in September. When I left Boston in the early a.m., conditions at the mountain were clear and calm. I show up three hours later and it's blowing 80 sustained with an ice storm in progress on the summit. By the time I got up to Tuckerman, it was a gorgeous day and almost calm. You can easily see why so many people die there. A lot of hikers seem totally unaware of how variable the conditions can be.

Yeah I mean you can leave the boundary layer and enter the free atmosphere there. With some of the inversions up there you can swing +/- 10 degrees easy as you hike up.

But I will say MOS is pretty darn good for the summit. I dumped the MET in to fix it quickly and it gave me sustained 84 knots and gusts to 102. That ended up being within 10 knots of reality.

Any suggestions on an LP powered garage heater to use infrequently during the winter so I can do some work in the garage? I've been using one of the kerosene wick heaters, but btu-wise, it's pretty low (<30,000) and takes awhile to warm the garage. I suppose I could go with a K1 salamander, but they stink. I've got a 20lb propane BBQ tank I thought I could use hence looking at some of the propane heaters. Of course, a CO2 detector would be used.

20 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Any suggestions on an LP powered garage heater to use infrequently during the winter so I can do some work in the garage? I've been using one of the kerosene wick heaters, but btu-wise, it's pretty low (<30,000) and takes awhile to warm the garage. I suppose I could go with a K1 salamander, but they stink. I've got a 20lb propane BBQ tank I thought I could use hence looking at some of the propane heaters. Of course, a CO2 detector would be used.

I bought this one (Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Propane Radiant Heater) after a 20 hour power outage in 2013.  I've only used it a few times since for a couple of hours.  There is an odor to it but for a few hours it's bearable.  They have a bigger one too which might be more what you need.

http://tinyurl.com/yc77667e 

56 minutes ago, Ca77andra said:

I bought this one (Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Propane Radiant Heater) after a 20 hour power outage in 2013.  I've only used it a few times since for a couple of hours.  There is an odor to it but for a few hours it's bearable.  They have a bigger one too which might be more what you need.

http://tinyurl.com/yc77667e 

That's what I would use.  I would get the larger unit and an adapter to hook up to a larger tank.  I use one of those in my sugarhouse on really cold days.

5 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Or not if the QPF dries up. :ph34r:

• Haha 1