Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Snow levels got down to 2,300ft was where the first accumulations were. 

Only a half inch or so but nice whitening all the way to 4,000ft.  No real increase with elevation.

IMG_0871.JPG.fba5b811a0cae87aec2e85ca448ac2e4.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG.5b47376600abda84f3412fc5197fb0d5.JPG

Where is this relative to normalcy for those elevations zones up there?

I'm curious as I'm thinking this air mass down our way is more shock value than actually deeper departures.  Relative to the last several months ...and even these early weeks of the autumn, we just have not had this kind of knuckle sensitive chill to the air.

Yet, mid 40s ... I wonder where that stands in the annuls of anomalies.  Obviously, there are 'historic cold' numbers - but, that can be misleading, if history happened to be kind on a given date.  There is also an expression in sensible weather vernacular that reads, "seasonally cold" too. 

I think this is colder than normal.  Perhaps for October it's merely pushing it some... in November this would be more properly seasonally cold - that's sort of how I am leaning on characterizing this ..while I sit here typing with cold hands, wondering if/when I should turn on the heat in this house of mine.  Every year it's an October challenge for me... 'can I make it Novie 1' .... I think I have once since living in this place - October 2012... though I was forced to those last couple of days of that month because the early snow nixed power for a week - oy.. Otherwise, I seem cave around the ides of Oct anyway.  I may be running the vacuum nozzle along the electric elements here shortly as looking ahead, we aren't exactly in an endothermic weather pattern ;)

Anyway, not meaning to launch a semantic crusade over the question, as I'm sure some heads think anything less than 70 is ice box where the others believe anything greater than 32 is an oven. But should common sense prevail ...I'm thinking this is all more along the lines of, "finally...some autumn weather".   I bet if it were sunny...we'd still make the low or mid 50s.

44 and raining decently here.  Had one of the wires connecting one of the bird feeders come down when a limb fell on it taking a piece of the reinforcing wood with it-plank intact and saved but it’s too high up for me to go up there at this point in life..besides I don’t have a high ladder.  

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

44 and raining decently here.  Had one of the wires connecting one of the bird feeders come down when a limb fell on it taking a piece of the reinforcing wood with it-plank intact and saved but it’s too high up for me to go up there at this point in life..besides I don’t have a high ladder.  

Storm damage.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Where is this relative to normalcy for those elevations zones up there?

I’ve been somewhat curious as well, so I just rain the numbers on the Mt. Mansfield Co-Op data from 1954.  There are a couple of seasons not included in the analysis because of gaps in the data collection, but there are still 62 seasons in the data set that should be providing accurate data barring any other observations issues.  The data suggest this is a few days on the late side of the mean for first accumulating snow, but overall quite typical:

Date of 1st Accumulating Snow at Mt. Mansfield, VT Co-Op Station:

Mean:  10/10

Median:  10/8

Mode:  10/17

S.D.:  15 days

N:  62

Earliest:  8/28/1986

Latest:  11/17/1985

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

I’ve been somewhat curious as well, so I just rain the numbers on the Mt. Mansfield Co-Op data from 1954.  There are a couple of seasons not included in the analysis because of gaps in the data collection, but there are still 62 seasons in the data set that should be providing accurate data barring any other observations issues.  The data suggest this is a few days on the late side of the mean for first accumulating snow, but overall quite typical:

Nice data mine J.Spin.  That's pretty much exactly what I would've expected.  I figured this was about smack dab normal for the first mountain snow.  

You know how Facebook reminds you things that happened in the past and well in the past week I've started seeing a lot of my old first snow photos show up, so I figured this had to be about that "normal" time of year for it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Nice work!

yea...sort of echoes my sentiments that it may be more like 'seasonal chill' that's just glorified for having abruptly book-ended such an extended unrelenting above normal -

I swear ... satellite can sometimes be like an Asher drawing (Esher?)

I dunno how to spell that but ... according to high res looping visible, it's sunny -

\wrong.. though the image appears this has peeled off and away, it's still cloudy and raining here.  f lies man -

I need it to be sunny, too, to work on my car out there.

7 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It woukd be snow. The profile aloft gets constantly colder so it won’t be sleet. 

By 1:40 this afternoon, the profile must have changed, as we had scattered IP for about 5 minutes.  Only the 5th frozen precip here during the 1st half of Oct, 1998 on.  (Still 10 days until 1st measurable, and I doubt that mark changes this year.)

28 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Fired up the sleds this afternoon.

22 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Gotta get mine in the garage tomorrow

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Going to be in Augusta working at the snowmobile show next weekend. I always enjoy going up there for this. Missed the grass drags in NH last week because I was in CA for work. That’s a great show. If you’ve never been you need to get there at least once. 

Yes, always wanted to go to grass drags

Going to be in Augusta working at the snowmobile show next weekend. I always enjoy going up there for this. Missed the grass drags in NH last week because I was in CA for work. That’s a great show. If you’ve never been you need to get there at least once. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk