Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

15 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

2014 the NWS had to create an 80 year observer award for the Bridgehampton observer. He was 101 then, passed in 2016 at 103, having forced the NWS to create yet another award (85 years).

No need for the scrolls, because he actually recorded obs during the 1938 LI Express. 

So he got an 85 year observer award too?  Holy sh*t that’s something!!

47 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Sad news, we lost our LONG time Eustis observer last week at 90.

She started back in 1962 when she was working for the Forest Service, and kept going until early last week. 

Definitely one a kind across the whole NWS coop program.

The Farmington observer began in 1966, and I think he's well into his 80s.

If there's no replacement at Eustis, there goes that whole area, as Long Falls Dam fell off the grid about 7 years ago.  Pittston Farm stopped, so there's little beyond Rangeley and Jackman for all of the true western mountains and the whole of NW Maine.  Phillips and Andover are technically n that forecast region (Mts) but both are relatively low elevation.  Sad.

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That’s amazing.  To be able to do something like that pretty much every day for 8+ decades is astounding.   If I can even have regular BMs in my 80s I will be happy

Each year I rotate through midnight shifts that becomes less and less likely.

Just now, tamarack said:

The Farmington observer began in 1966, and I think he's well into his 80s.

If there's no replacement at Eustis, there goes that whole area, as Long Falls Dam fell off the grid about 7 years ago.  Pittston Farm stopped, so there's little beyond Rangeley and Jackman for all of the true western mountains and the whole of NW Maine.  Phillips and Andover are technically n that forecast region (Mts) but both are relatively low elevation.  Sad.

Yes, Farmington is up there. Port Clyde had to retire because he was in his 90s. 

Livermore Falls is 93. He didn't have to go to WWII because he was a farmer and was needed to feed the country, and jokes that he's only ever moved twice. He moved upstairs, and then moved back downstairs, since he still lives in the same house his parents owned.

I never met her, but we got the news while we were installing a MMTS at Lakeport, and it was really a bummer. Without fail, she would call most days in the winter to let us know she couldn't "see the mountain" as squalls came through.

47 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I'm interested to see if someone in New England can pull out a Predecessor Rain Event (PRE) from Michael on Thursday morning. It looks like the best jet dynamics may be too far north? 

Hmm, verbatim maybe a sharper shortwave ridge ahead of the TC would be nice, but it's not far off the conceptual model. Something to keep an eye on.

53 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Hmm, verbatim maybe a sharper shortwave ridge ahead of the TC would be nice, but it's not far off the conceptual model. Something to keep an eye on.

Seems like the PRE may wind up over the Great Lakes (Michigan). Plume of high theta-e air (925mb), equatorward jet entrance region, and digging 700mb s/w. 

7 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

2014 the NWS had to create an 80 year observer award for the Bridgehampton observer. He was 101 then, passed in 2016 at 103, having forced the NWS to create yet another award (85 years).

No need for the scrolls, because he actually recorded obs during the 1938 LI Express. 

Slant-sticking since 1913.

3 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Seems like the PRE may wind up over the Great Lakes (Michigan). Plume of high theta-e air (925mb), equatorward jet entrance region, and digging 700mb s/w. 

I posted in the other thread but the Euro PWAT anomaly and output suggest flash flooding potential in CT SE Mass 

0208A304-BC61-401C-A4D2-65FABF2D363D.jpeg

BE29ABC3-0B0B-4C39-80AE-10C6AC3872B5.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

3 signs of impending epic winter snows in SE MA:

1.  bumper crop of acorns

2.  lots of road kill as they are trying to collect/save acorns up

3.  wooly bear caterpillars

If that’s the criteria then we may break 07-08 up here 

12 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

3 signs of impending epic winter snows in SE MA:

1.  bumper crop of acorns

2.  lots of road kill as they are trying to collect/save acorns up

3.  wooly bear caterpillars

#1:  Not here - that was last fall.

#2:  Absolutely, but IMO it's due to winter survival by well-fed bushytails followed by ideal squirrel-baby wx in spring/summer.  Late May rainy-40s cutoffs can wipe out most of the young-uns.

#3:  have only seen 2, and I'm not up to speed with the relation between color pattern and winter severity.  I'll stick with ENSO, as weak Nino has generally been good here.

34 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Those nasty box alder bugs are back this fall too.

I remember one year finding a swarm on my truck and thinking they would just blow off but they didn't.  I think they just crawled into every crevice to protect themselves and then when I stopped would just come out again.  I think I wound up stopping at a car wash and power spraying them off it was so bad.

1 minute ago, MetHerb said:

I remember one year finding a swarm on my truck and thinking they would just blow off but they didn't.  I think they just crawled into every crevice to protect themselves and then when I stopped would just come out again.  I think I wound up stopping at a car wash and power spraying them off it was so bad.

There all over the west facing wall of the house and they have already made there way inside, Killed one last night, They have an odor to them as well hence the also have the name stink bug, Harmless but nasty buggers.