Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

49 minutes ago, alex said:

Very crummy here all day; 50s with drizzle and occasional rain. Went down to Conway and it was a lot better. Holy crowds. Thought there was a moose outside my driveway when I saw about 15 cars pulled over. Nope, just people taking random tree pictures. 

Similar day here... upper 40s and low 50s with drizzle and thick fog at 1,000ft and above.  The fog was incredible at times, near zero visibility at the base of the ski resort.

A friend hiking late in the day found the summit ridge of Mansfield above the clouds in clear skies with a sea of undercast from 3,500ft and below.

46F right now with very little temp change the past 12 hours.

• Like 1

Just now, MetHerb said:

I'm sure we won't hear the end of "endless summer" after today for several days.

Looks like a couple days in the 70's coming up before we head back to where its been the last 10 days plus up here, Euro looked chilly after Michael's passage in the extended.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

55 and cloudy. I feel like it’s been days and days of clouds. Now I know how it feels to be in the greens. 

Same... with few exceptions.

Case in point, last Friday. That day was some sort of utopia!  With almost no wind, 73 F temperatures, and visibility so clear you could see a 100 miles if you see 10 feet while driving along ridge-lines out here in midriff Massachusetts, it was lulling.  Color's in the foliage coming on only adding to the splendor of the mise en scene - it was the type of weather that inspires one to sojourn all the incredibly beautiful woman they had fallen in love with over their hapless years, only instructed by destiny to leave behind ...

Then it occurs! This is why we love blue-gray tinted airs that are dense with wind and deathly cold snow - it's because we're so f-up by chicks, otherwise times of merriment actually cause us pain.  Fascinating.  

... Anyway, the four or perhaps five days prior to last Friday were all back to back putrid gray... Oh upon occasion there were very transient splashes of insult sun - if symbolic of rubbing it in; otherwise, mist and light rain accompanying.  Now, since Friday... this.  Right back at it. It's really been 'sensibly' analogous to an April redux.

What's interesting to me is how we seem to be generating this packed in cloud thing. Despite the higher heights in the south and southeast U.S., occasionally burgeoning N to encompass ORD-BOS latitudes, those burgeon swells are precisely when the clouds get the most dense.  That seems a bit counter-intuitive, that rising heights and ridge expansion would somehow become synonymous with strata and mid level pack and surface cold.

So what gives?

I have a hypothesis - curious what others think...  It seems the higher than normal heights hang-over from summer are partly to blame, if perhaps "indirectly."  What I think is going on is that these heights are squeezing against onset, lowering early cool season heights over Canada - that 'squeeze' is another word for 'gradient'.   The increased mid-level geopotential height gradient means that on balance there are anomalously stronger winds - by physics means we are transporting more mass than normal via the band of the westerlies ... This, from roughly southern Manitoba to the lower Maritimes of Canada... Such that if the flow gets confluent along the stream, we get an anomalously rich surface +PP response, and that mass then undercuts the ridge with NE flow.  Add in that we just came through +1 or +2 SD rainfall summer that's still producing at that... these bouts of low level inversion are saturated, but that secondarily also feeds back.  More clouds reflects more sunlight...perhaps cooling even more and we end up sort of "cheated" out of a warm extended period by all of this...

Obviously 'cheated' is an affectation ... But, typically, with heights approaching 590 DM... and thickness in the mid 560s... you don't have 55 F hung up nearing mid day at the surface and though today is an extremer form of all that, we have had a significant number of those sort of disproportionate results since... late August really.

13 hours ago, alex said:

Very crummy here all day; 50s with drizzle and occasional rain. Went down to Conway and it was a lot better. Holy crowds. Thought there was a moose outside my driveway when I saw about 15 cars pulled over. Nope, just people taking random tree pictures. 

Drove to Grafton Notch State Park yesterday with the family, and it was wild. People taking their lives into their own hands, NY plates driving 15 in a 55, almost got backed over by a pick up that wasn't paying attention in a parking lot. 

That being said, the leaves were pretty there.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Sad news, we lost our LONG time Eustis observer last week at 90.

She started back in 1962 when she was working for the Forest Service, and kept going until early last week. 

Definitely one a kind across the whole NWS coop program.

So sad,special kind of dedication in those peeps. Now that it lokkks like I am retired I may put up a real station and apply to be a coop observer.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

So sad,special kind of dedication in those peeps. Now that it lokkks like I am retired I may put up a real station and apply to be a coop observer.

I love this stuff and even I don't want to commit to daily obs at 7 am. I can't imagine doing it for 56 years like she did. 

Obviously you can still take vacations and stuff, you just have to find back up (like feeding a dog or cat), but it's still a commitment. We struggle to find people willing to do it in these smaller towns.

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

She started back in 1962 when she was working for the Forest Service, and kept going until early last week. 

That is sad...end of an era.  I remember meeting the long time observer from West Burke, VT when I was at Lyndon.  He was a great guy and had awesome stories to tell.  I had been keeping my own records for about 2-4 years at the time and he was my inspiration to keep going.

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You should do that - you already have the dedication.  I would do that myself if Stafford didn't already have one.

Just now, MetHerb said:

That is sad...end of an era.  I remember meeting the long time observer from West Burke, VT when I was at Lyndon.  He was a great guy and had awesome stories to tell.  I had been keeping my own records for about 2-4 years at the time and he was my inspiration to keep going.

You should do that - you already have the dedication.  I would do that myself if Stafford didn't already have one.

Maybe he can set up an unshielded thermometer in the hollow?

31 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Sorry to hear that. Isn't there an observer in Long Island that's been doing it for like six or seven decades? I vaguely remember reading about him a few years ago. Amazing dedication these people have. 

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

Sorry to hear that. Isn't there an observer in Long Island that's been doing it for like six or seven decades? I vaguely remember reading about him a few years ago. Amazing dedication these people have. 

2014 the NWS had to create an 80 year observer award for the Bridgehampton observer. He was 101 then, passed in 2016 at 103, having forced the NWS to create yet another award (85 years).

No need for the scrolls, because he actually recorded obs during the 1938 LI Express. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Does the NWS even want coop observers anymore? I figured with the density of home stations plus things like CoCoRaHS you wouldn't need it. I applied to be one when I was a pre-teen and was turned down.

Absolutely they still want coop observers. The reason is because we can maintain and calibrate the equipment and it is daily. Home stations are not always maintained to the standards of Dendrite, and CoCoRaHS isn't always daily. 

The caveat is that we have limited resources (equipment and manpower) and so rather than quantity we shoot for quality. That includes spacing sites out so that we have roughly equal distance between locations, or targeting important data gaps (like river headwaters for snowmelt). If you are in a town adjacent to a coop site, chances are the local office wouldn't want to add one in your town. 

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

2014 the NWS had to create an 80 year observer award for the Bridgehampton observer. He was 101 then, passed in 2016 at 103, having forced the NWS to create yet another award (85 years).

No need for the scrolls, because he actually recorded obs during the 1938 LI Express. 

That’s amazing.  To be able to do something like that pretty much every day for 8+ decades is astounding.   If I can even have regular BMs in my 80s I will be happy