Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

3 hours ago, alex said:

My deck is a sheet of ice. Currently 32.5

It's one of those days where it gels ok in the sun but downright cold in the shade.  Had to scrape the car windshield this morning at 33F.

Even at 11am its struggling to warm up with mid-40s in the valley.  Up higher we just cracked the low-40s at 1,500ft.  Setting us up for a hard freeze tonight.  

This is seasons in seasons now.

IMG_0792.PNG.414ca0885e72ca4cc02e1be388648674.PNG

43 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's one of those days where it gels ok in the sun but downright cold in the shade.  Had to scrape the car windshield this morning at 33F.

Even at 11am its struggling to warm up with mid-40s in the valley.  Up higher we just cracked the low-40s at 1,500ft.  Setting us up for a hard freeze tonight.  

This is seasons in seasons now.

IMG_0792.PNG.414ca0885e72ca4cc02e1be388648674.PNG

What is that image supposed to be that the route number is on?  Looks like a Vaseline jar.

• Haha 1

Just now, dendrite said:

F that. That crap freezes on my windshield every winter when I use it. I just make sure I warm up the truck for 5-10 minutes before I leave.

You're using that exact bottle and it freezes?  I've never had that problem, heck, I should be a salesman with the amount of people I've got using it now, it's wonderful.  For me it cuts right through any frost and even keeps snow from bonding to the windshield, cleaning the windshield has never been easier.  I had someone ask me once in a parking lot after a snowy workday how I got all of the snow and ice off of my windshield so fast.   

4 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Wow, I've got nothing then, I'm speechless.  I'm without speech.

lol...I'll try it again this season and post my results. It's usually those cold rad cooling mornings with temps < 0F that I have had problems. Of course a vehicle can act like a blackbody so the windshield sfc can get colder than the 2m temp. That's why it frosts up first and so easily.

8 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

You're using that exact bottle and it freezes?  I've never had that problem, heck, I should be a salesman with the amount of people I've got using it now, it's wonderful.  For me it cuts right through any frost and even keeps snow from bonding to the windshield, cleaning the windshield has never been easier.  I had someone ask me once in a parking lot after a snowy workday how I got all of the snow and ice off of my windshield so fast.   

I've had the same experience as Dendrite.  Plus, it really only works for the windshield - not your side windows or mirrors.  I've also had cold mornings with thick frost and it would come off but you'd still see it ice over after the alcohol would evaporate.  I still use it mainly because of the Rain-x qualities and helping preventing re-freeze during a storm but it does have it's limits.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

lol...I'll try it again this season and post my results. It's usually those cold rad cooling mornings with temps < 0F that I have had problems. Of course a vehicle can act like a blackbody so the windshield sfc can get colder than the 2m temp. That's why it frosts up first and so easily.

9 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I've had the same experience as Dendrite.  Plus, it really only works for the windshield - not your side windows or mirrors.  I've also had cold mornings with thick frost and it would come off but you'd still see it ice over after the alcohol would evaporate.  I still use it mainly because of the Rain-x qualities and helping preventing re-freeze during a storm but it does have it's limits.

Fair enough, certainly the colder it gets the less effective it is, but cutting through fall frost shouldn't be an issue.  I've used RainX for a long time simply for the clearer windshield while driving in the rain.  If I'm stuck in a work car on a rainy day I feel like I'm driving blind.  It is unfortunate that it doesn't work on the side or rear windows, I've tried that too with lame results.  

Today for me down here in interior SNE ... it has the first sort of appeal of being a hemorrhage-heat-loss evening. 

Typically I might have noted this sort of azure pure sky, tepid sun ...amid an ambient sensation of day's warmth fragility ... about 2 weeks back.  With all this preponderant ridging in the S-SE pressing N against the westerlies, our cold hasn't been deep in the troposphere though - confluence wedge highs...otherwise, 57/57 inversions ahead of failed warm fropas. Hiding [actually] how plaguingly warm the total atmosphere really has been too. 

It's funny... Brian and I were just commiserating how we both wanted a cP air mass to clean house. That hasn't happened per se, but this air mass is deeply cleansed enough nevertheless.  

So, the sun goes down and the present 50 DPs might exposed as fake.  I wonder that because soil moisture is very high, as well ... there's still a lot of greenery about the landscape. I've seen this sort of offsetting/contaminating of the llv by diurnal evaporation under tepid autumn sun in the past. I wonder when the sun goes down if the temp and the DPs drop some as well.. We'll see... has an ORE frost feel to it though

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Today for me down here in interior SNE ... it has the first sort of appeal of being a hemorrhage-heat-loss evening. 

Typically I might have noted this sort of azure pure sky, tepid sun ...amid an ambient sensation of day's warmth fragility ... about 2 weeks back.  With all this preponderant ridging in the S-SE pressing N against the westerlies, our cold hasn't been deep in the troposphere though - confluence wedge highs...otherwise, 57/57 inversions ahead of failed warm fropas. Hiding [actually] how plaguingly warm the total atmosphere really has been too. 

It's funny... Brian and I were just commiserating how we both wanted a cP air mass to clean house. That hasn't happened per se, but this air mass is deeply cleansed enough nevertheless.  

So, the sun goes down and the present 50 DPs might exposed as fake.  I wonder that because soil moisture is very high, as well ... there's still a lot of greenery about the landscape. I've seen this sort of offsetting/contaminating of the llv by diurnal evaporation under tepid autumn sun in the past. I wonder when the sun goes down if the temp and the DPs drop some as well.. We'll see... has an ORE frost feel to it though

We've got U30s/L40s dews up here and a bit north it's down near freezing. I'm sure we'll drain some of this down as the evening progresses. 12z MAV is 35F at CON so maybe a little frost in the strongly radiating fields.

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I recall in days of Yore when we’d get frost In September. Now many of us struggle to get one in October

lol...days of yore...you mean like last year?  (9/2).

Besides, if you're referring to your hilltop location getting to 32° for a morning low, it would probably be in the teens down below.  Never done that here.

My average 37° reading (possible frost) is 9/16.  Average 32° reading is 10/6 and average 28° (hard freeze) reading is 10/12.  My earliest 37° reading was 8/25/1987.  My Latest 32° reading was 10/26/2007.

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

F that. That crap freezes on my windshield every winter when I use it. I just make sure I warm up the truck for 5-10 minutes before I leave.

I'm with you, never ever use any of that on my windshield.  The last thing it needs is anything resembling liquid on it.  Those anti-frost mixtures seem useless under like 15F anyway.  Sort of like road salt.  At -10F in January nothing is working.

DIT is not entirely wrong, there are a few CT stations that have had their average first frost date slip from September to October between the 1971-00 and 1981-10 normals.

Station                      1971-00  1981-10
---------------------------------------------
BDR                           Oct 18   Oct 21
Burlington                    Sep 28   Oct  3
Danbury                       Sep 26   Oct  4
Falls Village                 Sep 16   Sep 23
Groton                        Oct  8   Oct 17
BDL                           Sep 30   Oct  4
Mansfield Hollow Lake         Sep 20   Sep 24
Norfolk                       Sep 22   Sep 29
Norwich Public Utility Plant  Sep 29   Oct  4
Shepaug Dam                   Sep 28   Sep 26
Stamford                      Oct  1   Oct  6
Storrs                        Oct  2   Oct  6
West Thompson Lake            Sep 19   Sep 26

1 hour ago, snowman21 said:

DIT is not entirely wrong, there are a few CT stations that have had their average first frost date slip from September to October between the 1971-00 and 1981-10 normals.

Station                      1971-00  1981-10
---------------------------------------------
BDR                           Oct 18   Oct 21
Burlington                    Sep 28   Oct  3
Danbury                       Sep 26   Oct  4
Falls Village                 Sep 16   Sep 23
Groton                        Oct  8   Oct 17
BDL                           Sep 30   Oct  4
Mansfield Hollow Lake         Sep 20   Sep 24
Norfolk                       Sep 22   Sep 29
Norwich Public Utility Plant  Sep 29   Oct  4
Shepaug Dam                   Sep 28   Sep 26
Stamford                      Oct  1   Oct  6
Storrs                        Oct  2   Oct  6
West Thompson Lake            Sep 19   Sep 26

Fake cold places will not be happy as GW targets overnight mins.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Fake cold places will not be happy as GW targets overnight mins.

But are those all fake cold places? It's almost universal across the board that the average first frost date has moved at least a few days to a week later which lends credence to the notion that the fall growing season is extending by approximately 1/2 day per year.