Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

14 hours ago, dendrite said:

36F is practically the coldest temp in Mass this morning...colder than most of Coos too. It sounds like you have no problem radiating.

I'm not SLK or HIE.

A lot of the times I drop quick around or just after sunset only to stabilize most of the night whereas good radiators often continue to drop slowly through dawn.

On 9/29/2018 at 7:14 AM, dendrite said:

42.8°...getting too cold for my fig tree. 

what do you do with it in the winter? is it portable or do you bury/cover?

Mine is portable, but getting harder and harder to carry and put in a dark cold spot to go dormant.

3 hours ago, S&P said:

what do you do with it in the winter? is it portable or do you bury/cover?

Mine is portable, but getting harder and harder to carry and put in a dark cold spot to go dormant.

It's potted so I've been moving it in and out whenever the lows get below 45F. Ditto with my avocado trees. It's a ronde de bordeaux that was started as a cutting late last summer, but it's already pushing 4ft and has a lot of fruit on it. Once it's well into dormancy I'll put it into an even bigger pot.

I should probably just plant the thing every spring and then root prune it once it goes dormant.

September for me wound up being my 3rd wettest September with nearly 9" of rain.  Temperature wise it was my 13th warmest out of 35 my Septembers on record which was a full degree above the normal mean.  Warm weather obvious dominated the month but I did squeeze in several stretches of below normal weather, including the 24th which featured an average temp of 46°.  The max temp for the month was 86° and the low was 40° (yesterday). 

I should also note that this is only the 2nd time in 35 years I failed to see the 30s in September.  Average date is normally 9/16 and with the warm stretch coming up, it will be even further delayed.

25 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Really warm out here today, 49/48 and rain, Makes it feel real summer like.

Seasons in seasons. 

Find the warm front though, lol.  We just nudged up to 50F, while Montpelier VT is still sitting 48F at midday.  It's raw out.

Even down to Rutland, VT its only 51F...with mid-60s not too far southeast in the CT River Valley.

Oct_1.jpg.0594a090fe309edbe2d318a406216716.jpg

Just now, dendrite said:

It's still a frontal wedge...doesn't have to mean CAD.

Ahh gotcha.  I always read wedge as the damming signature.

Would be a fun little advisory over-running event in another 6 weeks with quite a gradient from NNE to SNE.  It's almost split New England perfectly in half right now.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Would be a fun little advisory over-running event in another 6 weeks.

This would have made for a great over running event if temps would have supported it, Lets get a few of these in Dec.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Would be a fun little advisory over-running event in another 6 weeks.

Looking at it on sat and radar...it looks like one of those events where the boundary slowly drops southward and everyone goes slowly from RA>ZR>PL>SN. BTV and the valley glaze over first and then turn over to snow while Gene pings, CON-ORH glazes, and everyone else rots at a 34F rain.