Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

15 minutes ago, Dan said:

They are cheaper then down here at least.  Main reason why we moved North, to get more land and more house for the money.  Yes property taxes are higher but wanted out of here.

A good decision on your part. And I fully understand why you and your wife wanted to leave. The taxes will go up if the elected clowns in Methuen get their way with the Prop 21/2 override. 

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That was a legit little meso in the line that went through BOS

It was very gusty here 3 miles south in Dot but we just missed.

Interesting dynamics here. You can see a boundary sagging SE on base velocity, but the circulation appears to still be lifting north. There's a pretty impressive boundary developing and beginning to train in the Franklin area. It's got a ton of lightning and showing signs that it could developer a spinner or another good burst of wind. 

Just now, sbos_wx said:

Interesting dynamics here. You can see a boundary sagging SE on base velocity, but the circulation appears to still be lifting north. There's a pretty impressive boundary developing and beginning to train in the Franklin area. It's got a ton of lightning and showing signs that it could developer a spinner or another good burst of wind. 

Can hear the thunder.  It's like cannon blasts going off in the distance.

15 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Perfect case actually for producing mesos within a line. You want shear of 30+ knots in that layer to produce mesos (along with other things, like not being cold pool dominant, but shear balanced or shear dominant).

This line was shear balanced, and 0-3 km shear was from the west at 30 knots right along coastal MA. So vectors being just about perpendicular to the line meant that there was 30 knots shear right along the coast. Sure enough we produced a few mesos there.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Man the sun came out back here in NY and wow did it get humid/hot.  

The type of stuff where there's steam rising off the pavement, like walking outside into a steam room at a spa.  Dews around 70F.

The 3 straight months of dews sadly ends tonight. But Lord, what a run we put on. A special one for those that enjoy summer. My favorite of my 45 years 

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The 3 straight months of dews sadly ends tonight. But Lord, what a run we put on. A special one for those that enjoy summer. My favorite of my 45 years 

Maybe I'll be able to start closing my closet doors in my 230 year old house.  All the wood is swollen.  Done with these dews.  Keep them down in Conn, please

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I dunno... I think we sneak in some humid days over the next few weeks.   As someone who enjoys summer, I did not enjoy the high dews and huge rains

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Must not have been too enjoyable watching the dews rise while in the comfort of your AC.  I doubt you truly enjoyed the true effect of the dews.  You are spewing fake dew love.

I went all summer in my apartment with zero AC.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like 2.95” regular gauge but 2.3 Davis. Something ain’t right with Davis. I did notice it’s a little uneven base on the level bubble thing. Maybe that’s it?

Is this a sudden, recent issue or has it been gradually undermeasuring?

Definitely try to get the bubble centered to rule that out. Make sure the cone hole is clear and there is nothing obstructing the tipping mechanism. If it’s still a fail after that it may be time to adjust the screws and calibrate it.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Is this a sudden, recent issue or has it been gradually undermeasuring?

Definitely try to get the bubble centered to rule that out. Make sure the cone hole is clear and there is nothing obstructing the tipping mechanism. If it’s still a fail after that it may be time to adjust the screws and calibrate it.

It’s been doing this for awhile. How do you calibrate it? I’m thinking it’s more of the tippers. Getting that even will be hard. I don’t know how I can adjust it. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s been doing this for awhile. How do you calibrate it? I’m thinking it’s more of the tippers. Getting that even will be hard. I don’t know how I can adjust it. 

I’ll have to look up the calibration numbers. The little screws under each side of the tipping mechanism would have to be turned counterclockwise (lefty loosey). Getting them slightly higher makes it takes less liquid for the tipper to tip. There’s % numbers on the gauge I believe which indicate 1% or 2%, but I’d need to read up on it to recall if turning each side 2% equals a 2% change or a 4% change. An event today with heavy rates may result in some splash out too. If you tried to calibrate it for today you’d probably be overreporting slightly in normal synoptic events. Do you have a run down on some Davis/Stratus total comparisons so we can come up with an avg % error?