Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

42 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Did they ever guesstimate on a cause for the gas leaks?   Poor people in Lawrence.  When my street had a minor leak last Xmas eve-National Grid was out in full force till morning fixing something that could have probably waited.  

A contractor working for the gas company over pressurized a low pressure gas line, resulting in gas discharges from the meter as the meter's regulator tried to cope with pressures that the meter isn't supposed to see.  Many older gas services installed before the 1960s have meters located inside the house, and when the over pressurization caused these meters to vent, the gas vented inside the house, resulting in fires and explosions.  Those with meters outside that vented, were probably ok.

4 minutes ago, Brewbeer said:

A contractor working for the gas company over pressurized a low pressure gas line, resulting in gas discharges from the meter as the meter's regulator tried to cope with pressures that the meter isn't supposed to see.  Many older gas services installed before the 1960s have meters located inside the house, and when the over pressurization caused these meters to vent, the gas vented inside the house, resulting in fires and explosions.  Those with meters outside that vented, were probably ok.

Oh wow I assume that contractor is now out of business?

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Just moved up to New Hampshire this weekend.  Found a house a few houses down that is reporting to Weather Underground.  Don't know how good his rain gauge is, but currently reporting 3.2" so far.  Again, I have no idea what his equipment is, just reporting what it says at the moment.

Dan,

Congrats on your move. I'm wishing you and your family all the best in your new home. You picked a good time to leave Methuen. The city is being hit by one scandal after another. And I'm sure there are additional scandals in the pipeline. 

13 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Dan,

Congrats on your move. I'm wishing you and your family all the best in your new home. You picked a good time to leave Methuen. The city is being hit by one scandal after another. And I'm sure there are additional scandals in the pipeline. 

Thanks Great Snow...I appreciate that.  That certainly doesn't sound good.  I haven't been too close to the issues in Methuen as of late, but based on your comment I am glad I moved on.  One thing I noticed at least down where I was, was all the houses they have build building in Northern Methuen up on Hampstead street and Howe...just house after house...the traffic was getting unbearable.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Just moved up to New Hampshire this weekend.  Found a house a few houses down that is reporting to Weather Underground.  Don't know how good his rain gauge is, but currently reporting 3.2" so far.  Again, I have no idea what his equipment is, just reporting what it says at the moment.

Congrats--enjoy the snow!

1 minute ago, Dan said:

Thanks Great Snow...I appreciate that.  That certainly doesn't sound good.  I haven't been too close to the issues in Methuen as of late, but based on your comment I am glad I moved on.  One thing I noticed at least down where I was, was all the houses they have build building in Northern Methuen up on Hampstead street and Howe...just house after house...the traffic was getting unbearable.

You're welcome.  Methuen has allowed too many homes to be built. The schools are bursting at the seams because they are so overcrowded. And the traffic in the area has become very much like the traffic in the  Boston area.  Each afternoon and morning Rte 93 and Rte 495 are choked with traffic for hours. 

How are the home prices in your area?

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

Congrats--enjoy the snow!

Thanks...I think the snow stats for where I am now are similar to where I was.  I was looking for that better snow map that shows the average snows, but couldn't find it.  I am sure its in a thread here somewhere.

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

You're welcome.  Methuen has allowed too many homes to be built. The schools are bursting at the seams because they are so overcrowded. And the traffic in the area has become very much like the traffic in the  Boston area.  Each afternoon and morning Rte 93 and Rte 495 are choked with traffic for hours. 

How are the home prices in your area?

They are cheaper then down here at least.  Main reason why we moved North, to get more land and more house for the money.  Yes property taxes are higher but wanted out of here.