• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

Parts of New England had among their warmest first weeks in September. Some highlights:

9/1-7/2018 Mean Temperature and Rank:

Boston: 77.8° (3rd)
Bridgeport: 77.1° (4th)
Burlington: 74.1° (tied 3rd)
Concord: 73.0° (6th)
Manchester: 75.9° (2nd)
Milton: 74.7° (3rd)
Nantucket: 70.4° (6th)
New Haven: 76.9° (2nd)
Portland: 71.4° (3rd)
Providence: 76.1° (4th)
Worcester: 72.5° (9th)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Wow, just confirmed my initial suspicions about that close lightning strike the other night. The house did take a hit. Blew off a chunk of vinyl by the garage door and knocked a little hole in the asphalt. Small burn marks in the vinyl too. Thank god it wasn't a stronger hit!

Damn!  You're lucky you didn't loose all your electronics.

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That may have been one of the step leaders? I bet the main bolt was close by, but I think if that were the main bolt, you would have a much bigger hole. Be glad that was it. Jeez.

Yeah there's a cedar by my house that got hit too. I think that was the main strike. Close call. Scared the hell of me. 

• Like 2

When i was 17, i was in my kitchen watching a storm come in. I was home alone and the lightning was insane, i was actually terrified. A step leader hit the gutter above the kitchen window. The initial flash was pinkish purple, but the final flash was orangy. I almost died. The power went off for a moment. One of our TVs was damaged- the main color of the picture when the tv was turned on was green. I called the non emegency police number and they sent someone over to do an outdoor and indoor inspection. Thankfully there was no structural damage or electrical damage except the one tv. Never want to be that close to lightning again

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

60/43

Feels like the arctic

This is legit.  It's 56F and sunny out at midday at the base of the ski resort.  Breezy and everyone is wearing jackets lol.

Looks like the valley is at 59/38 for the 12pm obs.

The visibility is insane though.  Just crystal clear as far as you can see.

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like widespread dews in the 30s now in the North Country.  

SLK even got down to a 33F dew already.  They'll get a hard freeze tonight.

Average first freeze there is 9/9, so right on time. Don't see a hard freeze (28 or lower) coming tonight though as the probability is <10% of it happening this early in the season with the average date being 9/25.

43 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is legit.  It's 56F and sunny out at midday at the base of the ski resort.  Breezy and everyone is wearing jackets lol.

Looks like the valley is at 59/38 for the 12pm obs.

The visibility is insane though.  Just crystal clear as far as you can see.

Dew just hit 40F here. Hopefully we tickle some 30s.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Dew just hit 40F here. Hopefully we tickle some 30s.

Yup.  time to pull out the sweatshirts.  Cloudy skies and low dews make it feel really cool out there.  Just created a fall NNE thread, time to move into the next season. Really looking forward to a good soaker early next week.

60.6* at 1:20.  Been a while since we've experienced this.

My guess is that fall will arrive like spring did this year.  The winter that just kept on going with nothing blooming/leafing until May and then all hell broke lose.  The good news with that was no one needed to mow until 3+ weeks after they'd typically start.