• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

Man, that storm gathered fast.  Left for a walk an hour ago with some towers gathering to the west.  Heard rumbles 30 minutes in, and now just some sprinkles with thunder still off to the west but getting closer.

Edit:  And now having seen the radar, it looks to be passing to the south of here.  But the breeze still feels good and the temps dropped 4* from the high of 86*.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, Brewbeer said:

I have an 2002 ranger and never got mileage as good as you are getting, never any more than 20-22 on the highway.  2WD, V6, 3.0L, 5 speed auto. 

No surprise.  When my 2004 Mazda (Ranger with the Japanese badge) was dying and we were shopping, one Ranger right in town was a 2WD 6-cyl 5-speed manual "Sport", with EPA rating of 15/21.  The Ranger/Mazda rating for 4-cyl manual 5-speed was 24/29.  The nearly new 1992 Ranger that was part of my inheritance from dad (brothers had no need, so some of my 1/3 brought the ride) got about the same or a bit less than my current Ranger, though that one had the manual 5-speed and the 2011 is auto.  The Mazda was my only extended cab (oh how I wish I could've found a decent one at reasonable price!) and it got 26 winter and 30-31 summer, also had more power than either the '92 (lots more) or the 2011.

My 15 Colorado gets 22 to 26 mpg

Not bad.  Manual or auto?

5 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

I don't even bother hitting the brakes or try to dodge them any longer.  Straight line and constant speed ... let their maker sort them out.

I've had 4-5 run under the pickup this past couple weeks and every one has escaped injury.  Maybe if I'd braked/swerved they would've fared worse.  Lots of porcupines paying the price, and a huge raccoon near the base of Mile Hill - usually it's the young'uns that get squashed.

Some excitement here in Augusta around noontime, missed by me as I didn't get done with my Farmington Dr. apt until after 11 - only light rain with little/no thunder there.  Evidently, a bolt struck the building immediately east of the one in which I work.  Then a fellow from Honeywell came to check out the entry panel, and whether it was something he did or was predisposed by the strike, the fire alarm buzzer/lights were set off and just after I got here a bunch of first responders arrived.  30 minutes of careful checking and they departed w/o unrolling any hose.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

A strong cell moved thru an hour or so ago with some thunder and lightning and marginal wind, Nothing like the Severe one on labor day though.........lol

Judging by the puddles as I drove thru New Sharon while chasing the storm toward Augusta, I'm guessing 0.1-0.2".   On Labor Day we had flashes and grumbles for 5 hours or so afternoon-evening, but only about 3 minutes of heavy rain.  Of course, 2:30 of that came while I stood in the bed of the pickup trying to get the canoe rack dissembled before the rain arrived.  Seconds after I'd gotten back under the porch roof, precip backed off to sprinkles, 0.1" total.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Judging by the puddles as I drove thru New Sharon while chasing the storm toward Augusta, I'm guessing 0.1-0.2".   On Labor Day we had flashes and grumbles for 5 hours or so afternoon-evening, but only about 3 minutes of heavy rain.  Of course, 2:30 of that came while I stood in the bed of the pickup trying to get the canoe rack dissembled before the rain arrived.  Seconds after I'd gotten back under the porch roof, precip backed off to sprinkles, 0.1" total.

That's usually the way it works out, Get caught in the down pour while being pre occupied.

One of the least pleasant teaching days in 19 years for me as far as comfort. Even the lab I teach basic robotics in was swampy since the AC wasn’t working.  The rest of the building was just foul.

Anyway, round two of minor thunderstorms swinging through. First rain in a little while.   Ducked into the pool in between just to cool off a bit before evening activities.  

Can’t wait for the weekend